Skip to content

Random Events

Are there many random events that have different possibilities or outcomes throughout Baldur's Gate? I happened to return the "talking chicken" to Thalantyr, a great mage, and gave him a skull and he failed to turn the chicken back into a human, killing the chicken. Something happened to where I had to reload and happened to have to do it again, but this time he turns back into a human and lives!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Yes, the Melicamp quest is one of the few examples of when the outcome of something is random in BG.

There're "to hit" and "damage" rolls, chances to learn a spell, HP rolls, wild surges, random treasure (like scrolls) but there're not many random quests in the game.

The other examples of randomity is the outcomes when you draw a card from the Deck of Many Things in ToB and the spell you get when you turn a page in the Book of Infinite Spells in SoA. Also. the choices you get with the Wish spell are not set even if you have WIS of 18.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2015
    Don't remember many random quests in bg1. Come bg2, a lot of stronghold quests are very random and chance based, your underlings have a chance of spectacular failure by random, even though you do everything right.

Also, playing a wild mage or having Neera around throughout the saga is pretty much the epitome of randomness. :)
    Post edited by lunar on
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I would like it if there were some more random events. Such as random loot, aka icewind dale, or even events. Such as a bandit raid on Beregost (which may happen while you are there, may not. If you aren't there you return to find a number of buildings destroyed). Maybe have the chance to come across a running battle between the flaming fist and the chill. Things like that, to show that the world happens even without Charname.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    edited April 2015
    Well, lightning bolts frying your character seem random. And they suck. I used to think it had to do with metal weapons and/or armor. Then my monk got snarfed for 85% of his hit points. Unarmed and not wearing armor = lightning rod.

To make it worse, Minsc was walking nearby with a 2H sword, pointed at the heavens. Lightning rod, anyone?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If you like randomness, item randomiser mod works for bg1 and bg2. Choose the option that randomises every important magical item at the start of each new game, and every new game will have random treasures.
  • AstralusAstralus Member Posts: 23
    That sounds fun, but for maybe another time. I want to play legit. Mostly because I haven't actually finished the game and would like to.