Skip to content

Hated Black Pits 2 ending (spoiler)

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
I didn't particularly enjoy battles because they were too difficult. I played on core rules and had to repeat many of the battles(especially vs vampires and the final one) to beat them for the sake of stories.

Ending didn't explain much and the fact that my party that slew tons of demons, angels, dragons, and god spawns is teleported elsewhere by stupid Baeloth is ridiculous. Is Baeloth some kind of a god? I hated every intersection with him(I knew it was Baeloth) and looked forward a chance to kill him. What a disappointment. Seriously, is this what I get after hard earned victories through 20 fights?

We don't even get to kill Dennaton. He mocks the player to the last moment before getting killed by his mysterious master. BP3 is most likely not coming out so why have Baeloth and Dennaton toy with the player, giving us the big middle finger?

I usually don't whine about 'why can't we kill x' in games because I don't mind bad endings at all as long as it's interesting narrative-wise but Black Pits felt like a chore and ending made me feel my efforts were for naught since it was neither satisfactory nor interesting narrative. It doesn't even make sense. So I just stomped planar hunters that survived encounter with Tarrasque, however I can't murder Baeloth when he is laughing his ass off calling us pitiful performers of pathetic power? Since when did Baeloth become more powerful than Planar hunters and why should we cope his existence before he uses teleportation spell on us?

Did anyone feel similar?
Post edited by IntoTheDarkness on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The occasional F-bomb is tolerable, but we do have rules about keeping the language PG-13: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10852/site-rules-mind-the-gap#latest
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2015
    Dee said:

The occasional F-bomb is tolerable, but we do have rules about keeping the language PG-13: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10852/site-rules-mind-the-gap#latest

edited out f words. I spent almost a week only playing through BP1 & BP2. The ending aggravated me a bit. It almost felt as though Baeloth was put in there because devs loved Mark Meer's laughter; it was totally out of context.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I have to say that I agree with everything you just said. The fights were hard...and I felt some real accomplishment getting past them. Finally you fight against planar hunters of intense power...and Baeloth just laughs as he overwhelms you without a fight. I mean...what? It isn't explained how he got there, where he takes you...nothing. Really not a satisfactory conclusion.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited April 2015
    The mysterious master is actually a very powerful cannon character in the Forgotten Realms lore.

I still did not figure how the spoiler thing works so I just warn you that what's next in my post is spoiler:

The master is Szass Tam, Zulkir of Necromancy, basically a lich of immense power, most powerful amongst the Zulkir. You can meet him during Neera's quest, even exchange some blows with him. It is by the way one of the hardest fights added by EE, much harder than Irenicus for example. Dennaton mentions "how do you plan to eliminate Aznar?" or something like that. He means of Aznar Thrul, who's another Zulkir, the one of Evocation I believe, and he gets killed by some fiend sent by Szass Tam quite shortly after BP2 event (according to the date you can see when you press pause). Zulkirs are basically top-class mages on top of the Thayan hierarchy . There is one of them for each school of magic except wild magic which is considered dangerous in Thay.
    When you see how powerful his Planar Hunters, you can imagine how strong he is.
    EDIT: by the way, Autarch Vicross from Neera's quest is an Autarch from Priador, the region ruled by Aznar Thrul

As for where Baeloth takes your team, well, nothing has been confirmed so far, but we can look forward to a Black Pits 3 where Baeloth is again your master. As for the way he overwhelms you that easily, my hypothesis was that he just put some spell component in meals or things like that, much like Irenicus in Spellhold. By then, if you are soloing, Irenicus would be a mere piece of cake (as you should have like 4m experience when you reach Spellhold) and he still manages to get you fairly easily. I was not so disappointed by the end though, but that may be because I really love Baeloth.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    To me the journey was more important than the goal. Overcoming difficult trials is the salt of BP2, and I enjoy it very much. Even more than the standard game sometimes. If there's ever a BP3, I imagine it would be something like what we see in Spartacus, the TV series.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I liked The Black Pits 2 and I also liked Baeloth in both games, but why is he still alive in BP2? Maybe there's some detail in the plot that I missed?
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389

I liked The Black Pits 2 and I also liked Baeloth in both games, but why is he still alive in BP2? Maybe there's some detail in the plot that I missed?

In BP1 he doesn't actually die but teleports apparently. One of the updates for BGEE added him as a recruitable party member near larswood I think where he teleports in a little battered presumably immediately after the fight in BP1.

As to why he was in Dennatons area, I'd like to know that too.

Maybe the Planar hunters came for him?

He certainly was there to get his protagonists back. I mean, he is an arrogant drow. He would not accept a defeat so easily.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If there is a bp3, a direct sequel, the fighting party will be at near maximum level cap after bp2 allready. So unless some level draining-memory deleting or weakening spell or other such thing happens, it makes little sense game-wise. And not fun. Because gaining lvls fast is one of the fun things about bp.
    Given the high levels...BP3 will probably have Baeloth ascend to Godhood and force the gladiators to be his champions in carving out his own little plane. I mean, if everyone is lvl 30-40 already, what other challenges are there?
    I want to face a tarrasque !!!!!!!!!!
    Arunsun said:

100% MR most likely. So...lvl 30 mage, casts lower resistance x3 as a spell sequencer. That is 40% lowered for each one. Second mage hits it with greater malison x3 for -12 to its saving throws. Then make it go poof by disintegrating it.

The last fight was challenging because there were multiple threats coming at you from all sides. A single monster, no matter how powerful, is going to melt like butter against a 6 man party who are level 30+...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Grum said:

Arunsun said:

100% MR most likely. So...lvl 30 mage, casts lower resistance x3 as a spell sequencer. That is 40% lowered for each one. Second mage hits it with greater malison x3 for -12 to its saving throws. Then make it go poof by disintegrating it.

The last fight was challenging because there were multiple threats coming at you from all sides. A single monster, no matter how powerful, is going to melt like butter against a 6 man party who are level 30+...
    Except that greater malisons don't stack. And IIRC Tarrasque has a spell reflection so the mage casting disintegrate may as well go poof.
    And a succesful wish is required to kill the monster permanently.
    Umm, imprisonment may work, though. It is not stated the monster is immune.

@lunar : I have read somewhere that the tarrasque is tightly bound to the Prime, and thus that it is impossible to send it to another plan as per the imprisonment spell
    And btw, I think the Tarrasque is completely immune to any spells of level 8 and below. Also immune to Timestop. The Tarrasque's natural ability is cutting through resistances, in other words, Stoneskins and PfMW's have no effect on it's ability to hit you.

And @Arunsun , the Tarrasque IS tightly bound to the Prime but the effect is NOT being impossible to imprison. Rather, it is one of the only ways to defeat it.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Arunsun @Yannir Imprisonment does not send you to another plane.

@Arunsun @Yannir Imprisonment does not send you to another plane.

I did not know that.. :smiley: Although I have to point out that I never mentioned the spell so my initial comment still stands. So while the spell Imprisonment will not work, imprisoning the Tarrasque to another plane is still one of the only ways to defeat the Tarrasque.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Yannir You replied to @Arunsun "the Tarrasque IS tightly bound to the Prime but the effect is NOT being impossible to imprison" My point is that's why imprisonment works: it does not send you to another plane.
    @FinneousPJ It may or may not work. Imprisonment is the usual state of being for the Tarrasque.

"the primordials created only one tarrasque, which now slumbers within the world’s core." This is essentially how Imprisonment works.
    "ancient texts seem to indicate that there might be a way to finally and ultimately deal with the creature, if one could somehow deceive it, luring it into another plane and sealing it there."

Quoted from: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tarrasque