Skip to content

15 years later, I still can't find a game to replace BG1

Approximately 15 years ago, shortly after I had bought a new computer, my uncle bought BG1 for me as a Christmas present. I had never heard of the game (I was still playing mainly video games at that time, and was completely ignorant of PC games), and I don't know whether he was at all familiar with what he had bought me, either. Even before I had installed the game, as soon as I saw some of the character portraits in the manual, I was already in love with it. And once I actually began playing, it lived up to all of my expectations. I loved the artwork, the gradually unfolding stories, the freedom to explore, and the very memorable characters, among many other things. The attention to detail (i.e.: the stories outlined in the various books) was unlike anything I had ever seen!

The problem is, I have spent ever since looking for another CRPG that can measure up to BG1, but have yet to find it. Even the other IE games just could never quite fill the gap for me. BG2 looked great on the surface, but I didn't like the artwork or the characters (even though they talked a lot more, their personalities were either boring or unlikable), the heavy bias toward magic, and the lineality/repetitiveness that became increasingly apparent on subsequent playthroughs. IWD traded away much of the RP aspect of BG1 in place of greater emphasis on action, and PST went too far in the other direction IMO, with sheer volume of content, story, and characters that was simply overwhelming for me. Not only that, but I find that the controls and rules-sets of many other games (particularly the newer, 3D ones) are just too complicated for me and don't allow me the room to appreciate my surroundings. I had hoped that PoE might finally be the game that would fill BG1's shoes for me, but while it's probably the most visually impressive 2D RPG to date, I feel that it borrows too heavily from IWD (i.e.: repeated lineal dungeon crawls against repetitive waves of monsters), and the portraits are bland and fail to bring the characters to life IMO. (I'm still clinging to the hope that Tides of Numenera would be much more to my liking.)

IMO, BG1 struck the perfect balance between story, freedom, and action, combined with inimitably great artwork and some of the most memorable characters (both joinable and non-joinable) in any game. It was just challenging enough to be interesting, but not so much that it preventing you from appreciating the game content and experimenting with various types of characters and strategies.

Has anyone else here shared my struggle? And should I still be holding out hope for a "cure"?

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Yes.

But I enjoyed BG2 just as much, if not more. I stopped comparing games to the Baldur's gate series because it wasn't the game play that hooked me, it was the reintroduction to AD&D and the fantasy genre thay got me hooked.

Both games have their flaws, but since it was the first, it holds a special place for me that no other game can compare to.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't know about comparisons, but I found BioWare's own Knights of the Old Republic to be fantastic. It was my first CRPG and it made me interested in their other works (translation: Baldur's Gate). Others that are high on my list are NWN2 (it has some issues with interface, and some of the characters are annoying, but I liked it - especially when followed by Mask of the Betrayer) and Dragon Age Origins ONLY.

I'm told the newest Divinity and Pillars of Eternity are fantastic, as well. I'll get around to them, eventually. But, if it's not broke, don't fix it! Just play BG until you find something that lures you away.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I don't know about comparisons, but I found BioWare's own Knights of the Old Republic to be fantastic. It was my first CRPG and it made me interested in their other works (translation: Baldur's Gate). Others that are high on my list are NWN2 (it has some issues with interface, and some of the characters are annoying, but I liked it - especially when followed by Mask of the Betrayer) and Dragon Age Origins ONLY.

I'm told the newest Divinity and Pillars of Eternity are fantastic, as well. I'll get around to them, eventually. But, if it's not broke, don't fix it! Just play BG until you find something that lures you away.

Thanks for the recommendations. However, the problem with games like NWN2 (at least for me anyway) is that the rules are a bit too complicated and convoluted for me. As a rule of thumb, if a game requires that I continually choose "feats" or "skills" for my character, I'm probably not going to like it. I know a lot of people love to be able to customize their characters to that extent, but it's just not for me. When a game's rules-set becomes that complicated, I find that it actually hinders me from being able to enjoy the gameplay.

I've never tried anything from the Divinity series though, so I'll have to look into it.

• AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

Thanks for the recommendations. However, the problem with games like NWN2 (at least for me anyway) is that the rules are a bit too complicated and convoluted for me. As a rule of thumb, if a game requires that I continually choose "feats" or "skills" for my character, I'm probably not going to like it. I know a lot of people love to be able to customize their characters to that extent, but it's just not for me. When a game's rules-set becomes that complicated, I find that it actually hinders me from being able to enjoy the gameplay.

I've never tried anything from the Divinity series though, so I'll have to look into it.

Funny story about that. Four years ago or so I was able to get a new laptop. (I hadn't had a computer to play games on in well over four years.) I tried to find my Baldur's gate cd's but I couldn't find all of them. So I bought NWN2 hoping it would be like Bg, but like your complaint I felt it was too complicated and I really wasn't hooked on the story. But buying the game created a deep desire to play the bg series again so that led to me buying the series from Gog and eventually to finding about EE.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Funny story about that. Four years ago or so I was able to get a new laptop. (I hadn't had a computer to play games on in well over four years.) I tried to find my Baldur's gate cd's but I couldn't find all of them. So I bought NWN2 hoping it would be like Bg, but like your complaint I felt it was too complicated and I really wasn't hooked on the story. But buying the game created a deep desire to play the bg series again so that led to me buying the series from Gog and eventually to finding about EE.
    Incidentally (as you may already know), there's a mod that allows you to play BG1 in the NWN2 engine.

• AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

Incidentally (as you may already know), there's a mod that allows you to play BG1 in the NWN2 engine.

Yes the Baldur's gate Reloaded mod. When it was released I actually tried to find my NWN2 cd set to try and play the mod, but I couldn't find my Storms of Zehir disk anywhere so I was out of luck.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I don't think you can find something better that what personally suits you the most. These 15 years themselves have been adding, a day after a day, to your feeling towards BG1, so there will hardly be anything similar. You can't just swap your 15-year relations for a new wave.

I greatly understand it, OP.

But you always should keep trying new RPGs. They won't be able to beat BG1 in your mind but they can find a place of their own.

I personally can advice PoE. Pillars, although it's a different game, share something in common with BG1.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    edited May 2015
    Well, it seems that we have the same problem and a similar story. I can't find a game that I would like as much as the first Baldur's Gate. I love Planescape: Torment as well, but for different reasons. The remaining IE games are not what I enjoy in cRPGs. I would be interested in a mod that would restore what was cut from BG1, though almost no new mods are being made for the old engine. I don't like BG2 engine, so no BGT, TuTu, or EE for me. I still have in my archives the beta for Northern Tales of the Sword Coast v3, which was supposed to restore quite of the cut content, but sadly Aurelinus never finished it. Maybe if I would be desperate enough I would learn more about modding, so I could continue that route, if I would get a permission to do so.

The closest game for me to the experience of Baldur's Gate is the first Gothic. It is a different game - 3D, TPP and only one character, but the freedom and the world itself are really amazing. Similarly to BG the game was developed alongside the engine and unfortunately some content had to be cut. Thet's why I have similar feelings when visiting some unsual, but empty places. The mysteries that may never be discovered. The graphics are dated and the controls are quite clunky, but once got used to it really doesn't bother me at all (quite the opposite actually). Oh, and there are 2 mines that you visit as well, not that it matters though.

The other route that I use is pen and paper RPGs. I still play AD&D with some minor modifications and I find myself enjoying it alot. It is much harder to do, since there are other people needed, but if you have a bit of experience, you can be a DM and create the world you like. My sessions are heavy inspired by Baldur's Gate (low level adventures, lots of exploring of the wilderness etc.). Even though I had groups falling apart, I still have enough passion to continue. Recently, I introduced 2 new players to RPGs and have a group to play with.

I'm currently playing Pillars of Eternity and even though it's an amazing game, I have to agree that similarity to IWD with dungeon crawling is my least favourite part of the whole experience. Still, it's the best cRPG in many years and I hope that this will cause similar games to rise.

I fully understand your situation, I learned to accept that Baldur's Gate is that one game that I will always be coming back to no matter what. I like to play something different for most of the year and then when the summer arrives I look at that skull on the box and think to myself "It's time...".
    Post edited by Tuth on
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I don't understand the PoE hype. For me, this game not only sucks but sucks so badly that I almost thought it was made by Obsidian... wait, what? Oh, yes. It was made by Obsidian. Bleh.

Don't worry, though. I'm actually working on a game worthy to replace the BG saga. With my limited budget and infinite lifespan, however, it may take some 30 years, maybe a 100 more. So, stay tuned.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I am in the same spot @SharGuidesMyHand. After BG1 & 2, no other game came really close to the immense replay-ability and depth of BG franchise (which is also a reason I keep coming back to BG every couple of months).
    There were few contestants over the time, but none has really managed to surpass BG.
    I'll list them, to compare my list with others (excluding Icewind Dale)

Albion - very old, hardcore RPG in a massive world, with a massive story.
    Might and Magic games - especially 7 and 8, 9 was crap and 10 was good, but I doubt I would play 10 it again anytime soon.
    Jagged Alliance 1 & 2 - Old tactical RPG gems. Just ... that.
    old Panzer General 2 - strategic game with RPG elements ... nowadays I keep playing Panzer Corps which is it's remake and it's great too.
    From the newer games:
    Dragon Age:Origins - just the first one.
    Skyrim - ... pure delight, but still not BG.
    Shadowrun: Returns and it's sub-sequent DLCs - original game - very pleasant. Dragonfall DLC - great, Dragonfall - Directors cut - even better. Now, they are cooking Dragonfall:Hong Kong on the engine update they used in the directors cut and adding new things. This franchise looks very promising. (I also backed Hong Kong on Kickstarter)

Anticipating, but haven't tried them yet:
    Divinity:Original Sin + Pillars of Eternity + X-com:Enemy Unknown

...somehow, NWN never made a big hole into my gaming experience.
    Also, I have a friend, who loved BG games too and when he tried to sell me on the matter of X-Com, I asked him "How good is that game on the scale from 1 to Baldur's Gate?".
    He winced, sighed and said "Very, very good. Just not BG."
  • MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96
    The unique features of the first girl you happen to really like will greatly influence your future taste in women. The same thing applies to games as well. This is a highly random and subjective effect. You may feel like that a certain game puts too much emphasis on feature X, but another person might want exactly that, because his/her first favorite had similar characteristics.
    As others have pointed out, nostalgia plays a big role, but the real culprit is the accumulated experience. The more games you have tried the less are the chances of a new one blowing your mind. The first videogame is a magical portal into a mysterious wonderland, while the most recent one is probably just a mildly fun product you bought to spend your weekend with. You already know the drill. Completing it is a routine.
    I only recently tried BG1. The way I feel about it is that 15 years ago I could have *really* loved it. Today, from my own subjective perspective it's vastly inferior to BG2. I could argue the reasons, but it's obviously pointless. So, BG2 remains on the top of the throne, and I don't expect any serious challengers.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I almost agree with @MalacPok 100%. I would not say BG2 is better than BG1, so much as that it has different emphases. Some people love the early, squishy CHARNME portion of the story, and the characters as they act in BG1. It's like the dark vs milk chocolate preference - merely preference.