Skip to content

Original Game-Loading Screen of Death

I'm playing the original game. I actually bought a second copy of the original game because my first one had a nasty habit of getting stuck on the loading screen every time I reached Nashkille.

Now, that problem has returned with a vengence. At some point in the gameplay, I've just started...well, getting stuck on a loading screen that refuses to move past a partial load every time I try to enter a new area. I can't progress the game at all.

Is my laptop too creaky to handle the information? Is there some obscure glitch that can be fixed with a patch? How could this happen to meee? I've made my mistakes! Got nowhere to ruuunn...

Any advice would be appreciated. =S Also I've got fairly limited tech skills (I am talking to you with magic box thing. It sends electricity into the internet!) so you might need to dumb down your replies a bit. ^^;

Yours Truly,
Fuzzy

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    If it is freezing on the Nashkel intro movie you could disable them. I'm sure there are better ways than this link but I a) can't remember them and b) can't find a link quickly.
    http://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/disabling_in_game_movies/post2

BG2 had an ini file option (Disable Movies=1) but I don't think BG1 had it.

If you have the disk version, have you done a custom (full) install. Ignore any warning about insufficient hard disk space unless you really don't have that much spare, and select every box. Some machines don't like spinning up the cd drive mid game.
  • FuzzyNecromancerFuzzyNecromancer Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the advice. I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling with the settings you suggested. For some reason, my old saved games are still there and refuse to be deleted. The old save still freezes when I try to reenter the friendly arm in. I tried starting a new game, and everything was fine up until I tried to enter the map of trees after the outside of candlekeep but before the friendly arm in. Then, same problem. Screen starts loading. Screen stops loading. I am stuck on screen until I use control alt delete to escape. :(
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Saves will be in the game location, if they remained it is possible other files remained too, e.g. if they were set to read only. Maybe try again, and install to a different folder if you can't remove everything. (back your saves up first if you want them, although try a new game first in case whatever is wrong has made it into a save).
    YES! So far it is WORKING! *knocks on wood* Thank you, and may Garl Glittergold and Oghma bless you! :>
    ...the game has now started freezing when I attempt to SAVE.
    I am cursed.
    ...I just ran into the save screen of death problem with Planescape: Torment. What is happening. What is happening. What is happening?