Skip to content

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Belanos said:

I'd love to see them make a Dr. Strange movie, he was always one of my favourite Marvel characters. I think that character could make for a very interesting flick.

@Belanos they ARE making one! Staring Eggs Benedict Cumberbabababababatch
    He's not a bad choice, depending how he looks with a beard. Of course, 30 years ago Tim Curry would have KILLED that role. Damn. Still kinda excited, he was good in some stuff I saw.

The Kree are one of the big powers in Outer Space, but iirc, they get pwnt by the lame-o Shi'ar. Skrull ftw!
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    DreadKhan said:

He's not a bad choice, depending how he looks with a beard. Of course, 30 years ago Tim Curry would have KILLED that role. Damn. Still kinda excited, he was good in some stuff I saw.

The Kree are one of the big powers in Outer Space, but iirc, they get pwnt by the lame-o Shi'ar. Skrull ftw!

Pssh, the Kree are boring, Shi'ar all day. Gladiator is the ultimate badass of the Marvel Universe and should have been played by a young Ahnald

Though I agree Skrulls are awesome, and the Secret Invasion crossover was actually really, really good in my opinion.

What I find kinda lame (related to the Kree) is that we have been introduced to the Inhumans (awesome) on Agents of SHIELD.... but we haven't seen any of the cool Inhuman characters, only new ones and fake-mutants (Skydaisy Johnson). They replaced Black Bolt with a Sky's momma and they replace the dog Lockjaw... with a random dude named Gordon. Laaaaaaammeee.

I wonder if the rights to those characters, since they originally appeared in the Fantastic Four, are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios.
    DreadKhan
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    How about some Alpha Flight for all the Canucks out there? I'm actually serious. They were an interesting group with some interesting characters (especially Snowbird, Shaman and Northstar).
    DreadKhanbooinyoureyes
    edited May 2015
    How the hell do you replace Blackbolt?! He's one of the strongest non-superduperimmortal people in the universe. Well, depends when you're reading. What about Mrs. Bolt, Medusa? Kinda lame superpower though.

Ronan is way cooler than Superskrull (his NAME has super in it! He HAS to be awesome), and Superskrull is cooler than the Shi'ar... but I'm less fond of X-men, so Shi'ar lose out a wee bit.

Ooh, Alpha Flight... they could fight Wendigo! Who is as far as I could tell nothing at all like an actual Wendigo.

Edit: I was thinking the other day, but Mojo would be a really easy sell these days, you could have a Katniss Everdeen crossover! Baby Wolverine! Dazzler! LONGSHOT!
    booinyoureyesBalrog99
    Well he was a cannibal like the actual Wendigo but other than that he was like a furry Incredible Hulk. That was a great story from the good ol' days though. The Wolverine tie-in was especially intriguing. Snowbird actually out-wolverined Wolverine! Ah, the memories...
    DreadKhan
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited May 2015

Like @the_spyder I LOVE Spider-Man. Daredevil is my fave, but Cap and Spidey are right after.

but.... Spider-Man needs to be a television series, not a movie. They won't do this any time soon, since as of now movies are more lucrative, but it is not the best engine to tell Spider-Man's story. For many reasons

1. Peter Parker's actual identity is really important to the character... and the stuff he does every day, trying to balance having a normal young-person life with being a super hero, is the essence of what makes Spider-Man interesting. You don't have enough time in the movies to explore this, since there needs to be a certain amount of BOOM, BANG, POW, MICHAEL BAY in each film to sell tickets. The films did a decent job of doing Peter Parker in a normal setting considering the constraints, but an episodic, serialized format you can do so much more and Peter doesn't have to age 3-4 years between movies.

2. So many beloved supporting characters. Aunt May, MJ, Gwen, JJJ, Robbie, Ben Urich (was in Daredevil), Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson... and they are all important and play big parts in his life. Can't fit them all in even three movies. You'll end up getting silly cameos for important characters, like Gwen Stacey in the much-maligned Spider-Man 3 (awful)

3. Playing off the previous point... love interests. He has two. Polar opposite personalities and at different points in his life, one ending tragically. You need time to develop these, and you need to feature both. They could barely do that in TWO different movie franchises. A television series would allow them to develop at a normal pace.

4. Huge awesome rogue gallery. They have tried to shove too many villains into single movies, and this detracts from their overall appeal. Minor villains on a week-to-week basis would allow the show to feature more baddies and actually give them time to shine. Would also make a cool Sinister Six.

Unrelated: @meagloth you have excellent taste in Marvel movies.

I 100% agree, @booinyoureyes.
    Disclaimer: I basically think everything is better as a tv show. I like TV. Movies are ok. Movies are more lucrative, and seem to be more popular(or at least a bigger deal) but when you get down to it there just isn't that much time to tell a complicated story. Movies are basically restricted to a print equivilant of short stories or maybe a novella. Unless you're Peter Jackson, in which case all bets are off.
    booinyoureyesNimran
    Soo... is @meagloth saying Peter Jackson is doing a Silmaillion TV series?
    Balrog99
    Hopefully with a lot of Balrogs in it?
    booinyoureyes
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    edited May 2015

What I find kinda lame (related to the Kree) is that we have been introduced to the Inhumans (awesome) on Agents of SHIELD.... but we haven't seen any of the cool Inhuman characters

I suspect for a variety of reasons, a lot of them budgetary, they're saving the big-name Inhumans for the movie in 2019 (they have introduced Gordon in the current Inhumans comic series though, apparently.) I know I'd rather see make-up, design, and effects for the Inhumans on the level of GoTG rather than AoS's Deathlok.

booinyoureyesFardragon
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

I haven't watched Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers: Age of Ultron, but so far, the only great movie that I've seen is Captain America 2, and that's when it comes to the Phase 2 stuff.

Guardians of the Galaxy is actually my favourite by far, but that may be because Drax the Destroyer is basically Minsc.
    meaglothbooinyoureyesNonnahswriterelminster
    DreadKhan said:

Soo... is @meagloth saying Peter Jackson is doing a Silmaillion TV series?

I can't find the comment but I've actually said I want that before.
    booinyoureyes
    I think you are very near the only person who does want it, though from what I remember of the Silmarillion, some of the story nuggets were decent, others were more tedius than reading the Book of Numbers. I might have been a bit young, but there was stuff that would be saleable.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited May 2015
    I'd agree that a live action Spiderman TV show (or Netflix) would be incredible. I would worry that the budget for special effects would be on the high side. However with what Daredevil proved could be done, who knows?

And yes, there are so many characters in Spiderman's world. Just to name a few more, Betty Brant, Liz Ozborne, Felicia Hardy (yes, all the ladies). And there are so very many villains that could populate the screen, not just the top 5. So many opportunities.

Another story that I'd love to see Marvel give some Screen time to is Cloak and Dagger. I think that would fit very well into the Daredevil mold and could be done with a low(ish) budget.
    booinyoureyes
    DreadKhan said:

I think you are very near the only person who does want it, though from what I remember of the Silmarillion, some of the story nuggets were decent, others were more tedius than reading the Book of Numbers. I might have been a bit young, but there was stuff that would be saleable.

You couldn't do the whole book, but something like the return of the bold or to middle earth, or (especially) the children of Hurin, maybe starting with Beren and Luthien would be good. The children of Hurin was made into a separate book by Christopher Tolkien, and that story is more grown up, even than the lord of the rings. It has a stronger female presence to.
    booinyoureyes
    I think you'd have an easier time convinving Tolkien's executor(s) to pull their own teeth with visegrips.

I agree parts could probably work. Don't see it happening right away.
    edited May 2015
    @booinyoureyes I just saw the new avengers. LOVED it. Great action movie, great characters, great AI story. I only have a few complaints, and they're pretty small.
    Firstly, and most importantly, I kinda felt like the way they saved everyone on the floating town was a bit of a cop-out. It wasn't super clever or surprising. Also, if they blew it up like that the pieces would cause just as much if not more damage than the solid chunk. And as far as I know dropping that from a height where everyone could still breath the air(so like less than... 35,000 feet?) wouldn't actually cause that much damage. But whatever. I'm willing to let that go.
    Also, I'm not a huge fan of the way ultron looks. The way his robot lips moved really threw me off. It didn't make any sense and I feel like that will date really quickly, as such elaborate CGI effects are pretty reliant on having the newest technology. That said I was very impressed by the way the movie looked. The effects where spectacular.

So this isn't really a complaint, but I heard that this was cut down from 3 hours of footage, and I think that showed a bit. I would really like to see an extended edition. A lot of thing where explained very quickly/minimally. Like who are those twins? Is t the speed dude an X-man? They didn't really explain that. And what exactly where that girls powers?

-------------------------------------------------

So, people familiar with the comic strip, how much of this is canon stuff? Who is the Magic ultron/Thor/Jarvis baby who can do everything? Is he an established character? Are the avengers a different team now? WILL WE SEE IRON MAN AGAIN?!!?!
    That's all I can think of right now. Im sure I'll have more to say in the morning.
    edited May 2015
    To answer some of your questions:

Q: A lot of thing where explained very quickly/minimally. Like who are those twins?

A: The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. They were originally introduced as members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants very early in the X-Men (comic). Later they were revealed to be Magneto's children. Very recently, like a few months ago or less, they were retconned again to be human children who were experimented on by a guy called the High Evolutionary. This is widely believed to be a move pushed by a corporate agenda than a creative one, to cut Quicksilver and, even more importantly, the Scarlet Witch's connection to the X-Men franchise, which Marvel doesn't control the movie rights to (Fox does.)

Q: Is t the speed dude an X-man? They didn't really explain that.

A: Yes and no. He was originally introduced in the X-Men as a villain, but he and the Witch were reformed and transferred to the Avengers pretty early on (pre-issue 20 of the original Avengers run) in what some call the "Cap's Kooky Kwartet" phase, when the more traditional lineup (Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Wasp) broke up and the team became Cap, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye. I'm 98.7% sure the bit just before the end credits start where the new team is introduced is an homage to that set-up, Cap and the oddballs.

Because of their origins in the X-Men but prominence in early Avengers, the twins, or at least Quicksilver, are in the weird situation of not having their use in movies pinned down by one company, which is why two different versions of the character have appeared recently, once in the X-Men; Days of Future Past film, the other here. Marvel movies can't use mutants or Magneto, so those elements aren't present in Avengers (the assumption for a long time is that they were Inhumans, but a comment by Ultron has me wondering abou tthat), but their Eastern European roots and switch from bad guys to good guys is more in keeping with their comic book versions. Then again, Quicksilver in the comic tends to be portrayed as a bit of a condescending dick, which neither movie version really played him as.

Q: And what exactly where that girls powers?

A: In the comic, they've varied a bit over the years (she's been around for 50+... it happens.) They generally revolve around probability and/or reality alteration, with widely varying power levels. She's dramatically shifted all reality a couple of times in the last ten or so years, once when she spawned the House of M universe where Magneto and mutants in general ruled the world, then when she found out about it she rebooted standard reality but cut the mutant population in the comic universe from the millions it had risen to when Grant Morrison was writing The New X-Men to 198 (actually more like 500, but in any event, she was responsible for a lot of mutant characters abruptly losing their powers and in many cases, their lives. I believe there were extenuating circumstances for her doing that that were dealt with in the Young Avengers: Children's Crusade miniseries, but I didn't read it and am not really clear on what they were.)

Q: how much of this is canon stuff?

A: in the movie universe? All of it. In comics, I'd say... 70%, but not all drawn from the same comic universe. The Marvel cinematic universe was highly influenced by Marvel's Ultimate line, rather than the 616 universe that is generally considered the primary Marvel U. It looks like the two universes will end up merged after the current Secret Wars miniseries that just started this week.

Q; Who is the Magic ultron/Thor/Jarvis baby who can do everything? Is he an established character?

A: Yes. He's called The Vision. In the comics he was created by Ultron. Pretty sure Thor wasn't involved and while he does or did have a gem on his forehead, I don't remember it being one of the Infinity Gems. In the comics, his body was that of the original, 1940s Human Torch and his conscious mind is based on the character Wonder Man. He's pretty Spock-like, emotionally, but he and the Scarlet Witch managed to have a romance, get married, and, even though he's not technically human, give birth to twins (the twins were later retconned into being manifestations of the Witch's power that ceased existing when she wasn't paying attention. It didn't turn out well.

Q: Are the avengers a different team now?

A: For the moment. The rumour mill has it that the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War Part One will feature the new team, while Part Two will reunite the old one.

Q: WILL WE SEE IRON MAN AGAIN?!!?!

A: Yes, and very soon. Unless they dramatically change the general story arc and are also engaged in some really deceptive advertising, Tony Stark/Iron Man will more or less serve as the antagonist in the next Captain America movie, Civil War, which I think will be out around this time next year.

Post edited by AndrewFoley on
    booinyoureyesmeagloththe_spyderhowmanyhours
    edited May 2015
    In the comics, Vision did not have an infinity gem. that is MCU only. It's just a solar collector in the comics. It's an idea kind of borrowed from another similar character though - Adam Warlock (who is sometimes a Guardian of the Galaxy in the comics).
    booinyoureyes
    DreadKhan said:

I think you'd have an easier time convinving Tolkien's executor(s) to pull their own teeth with visegrips.

I agree parts could probably work. Don't see it happening right away.

They could be something similar, but make it much darker, and add lots of sex and violence.

Nah, no one would ever watch that...
    Balrog99meagloth
    @Meagloth - you make some good points

While a city sized chunk of rock simply dropping from a height where people could still breath may not necessarily be an extinction level event, I think the intent was that it would be rocket propelled, making it a bit more of an issue. However, it is a movie, so... suspension of disbelief.

As far as Ultron is concerned, I was wondering how they were going to do anything like that. While it was a bit distracting, the retracting circles in his cheeks, I thought they did an OK job (personal and subjective). I guess they didn't want to make him 100% CGI. But yeah, how they made his "Lips" move seemed a bit strange. It should have been his entire jaw that moved. Ah well...

I also hope there is an extended edition in the offering eventually. I'd pay for that.

I rather suspect that they killed off Quicksilver (the speed dude) because they want him for the Xmen Universe. In the comics, he is associated with The Xmen (both as a villain and a hero), but he did spend time as an Avenger also. Maybe they made a deal and split the twins?

Just a qualification (question?). I know that originally Magneto thought he was their father. I remember that there was some question about that even back in the 80s as they were raised by one of the Inhumans, who were a product of the High Evolutionary (and not the Kree as we see in Agents of SHIELD). I had thought that was still a question, but maybe that has been resolved? In any event, with Quicksilver being so prominant in both series, I do hope that he at least continues in Xmen.

Finally, yeah, Iron Man will be (at least that is what the media is saying) in Cap 3/civil war. As will, apparently, "Everyone" in some capacity or another. I even hear the rumor that Spiderman will make an appearance. And i understand that Cap 3 will dovetail into Avengers: Infinity War. Can't wait.
    meagloth
    I've found another character that I think could really use their own franchise. They are part of the Xmen universe, but that doesn't change the fact that I think it would be really cool to see.

Mystique.

I'm not saying that it would have to be Jennifer Lawrence, although why not? But I think that a well written story more in the vein of something like Winter Soldier would be a total thrill ride.

As far as having Black Widow show up in Agent Carter? That would be awesome. After all, they already revealed the program responsible for her creation. And then there's the whole thing with The Battle of Stalingrad.

Another direction they could go would be to have her show up in Daredevil. After all, she has been associated with him.
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    LadyRhian said:

For people I'd want to see get their own movies: She Hulk, Wasp (Janet VanDyne), MoonDragon (also a former Avenger). And yes, Black Widow. I'd want to go back to the beginning with Black Widow and make her an agent of the 1940's/50's Russia who receives a version of the Super-Soldier formula that created Cap which keeps her from aging and basically makes her a super (literally) spy and soldier.

What a reveal THAT would be! She could also cross over with the Agent Carter series. Hey, I have my reasons. :)

Personally, I don't think Wasp or Moondragon are interesting enough to warrant their own movies (though I said the same about Ant-Man, and they are already making that) I think they would be excellent additions to the Avengers and Guardians casts respectively (I was disappointed that Moondragon and Quasar weren't in the Guardians movie personally).

However, SHE-HULK would make an AWESOME TV series on Netflix. She is AWESOME, and would make an excellent cameo as an attorney going up against Matt Murdock in Daredevil.

For those who don't know, She-Hulk is a lawyer (who later on specializes in "Super Hero Law") who got a blood transfusion from her cousin (who happens to be Bruce Banner... aka The Incredible Hulk) to get awesome superpowers (and a decent dye-job). She is also and Avenger and was briefly part of the Fantastic Four, and is generally well-loved in the Marvel Universe. She'd be a great way to bridge the Netflix shows with the cinematic universe, as she can have her own program (starting with a cool brief cameo in Daredevil!) then make appearances in a Hulk movie and maybe as an Avenger in the later films. She's one of my favorites, personally, and has enough of a backstory to warrant a film or mini-series.

She's actually a quite brilliant lawyer, and even helped Spider-Man sue J Jonah Jameson for libel
    :D

I also love @LadyRhian 's idea for a Black Widow mini (though Scarlett Johansen doing TV seems like a pipe dream unfortunately :( ) but I still like the idea of having a SHIELD movie with just Nick Fury, Black Widow and Hawkeye, working with the Natalia-Clint buddy-cop dynamic.

That would be a cool place to also introduce She-Hulk now that I think of it, as she also worked for SHIELD.. so many possibilities.
    NimranNonnahswriter
    She-Hulk was also a popular Fantastic Four member, and way less lame than She-Thing (...I can't even be arsed to remember or check that characters name... Bucket O Shame belongs on that writers head).

A Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos wouldn't at all be a hard sell as a TV series. People love war-drama in the US.

OH. EM. GEE. They could do an Ally Mcbeal crossover law show! With She-Hulk! Still, the Mojo/Katniss crossover sounds like its got legs AND wheels, so its probably really mobile for an idea.

...wait, what? Why am I not allowed to have ideas anymore?!
    DreadKhan said:

A Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos wouldn't at all be a hard sell as a TV series. People love war-drama in the US.

Seems they have retconned Nick Fury out of the Howling Commandos (unless he is a LOT older than he looks). And hopefully we will see more of the commandos in Agent Carter Season 2.
    booinyoureyes
    edited May 2015

DreadKhan said:

Seems they have retconned Nick Fury out of the Howling Commandos (unless he is a LOT older than he looks). And hopefully we will see more of the commandos in Agent Carter Season 2.
    Never question Marvel's proficiency to re-retcon! That said, it has gotten silly at times, but when I was reading more comics, DC had become quite notorious for having questionable background research/communication, and just ending the world over and over to avoid dealing with their issues. DC was not very respected back then, but they improved as they started losing sales iirc.

Easy Retcon, you can set Fury's Commando days during whatever war is convinient.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I believe it is the standard Universe Nick Fury (white guy) who had the Howling Commandos rather than the Ultimates Universe (Black guy Samuel L. Jackson) Nick Fury. If they want to do standard army fare, they could do a Sgt. Rock and Easy Company series (But seriously, who remembers *those* guys?) or BlackHawks. If they wanted to do a full CGI, go with the Metal Men.

On the DC side, I'd love to see them do a movie about the Question. or Green Arrow and Black Canary. Or Oracle. I'd *love* to see an honest to God movie with Oracle in it. Heck, Marvel could set up a West Coast Avengers with Hawkeye and Mockingbird (and Wonder Man, the Superhero who worked as a stuntman).
    booinyoureyes
    DreadKhan said:

Never question Marvel's proficiency to re-retcon! That said, it has gotten silly at times, but when I was reading more comics, DC had become quite notorious for having questionable background research/communication, and just ending the world over and over to avoid dealing with their issues. DC was not very respected back then, but they improved as they started losing sales iirc.

Easy Retcon, you can set Fury's Commando days during whatever war is convinient.

Yeah, I remember the whole 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' DC story line. They collapsed everything down into a hand full of worlds, didn't they? The ULTIMATE Retcon. Just hit the reset button and only those story lines that we choose will remain. I think Torchwood could learn a thing or two from DC.

@LadyRhian - I'd love to see DC get a decent movie Right for once. Don't get me wrong, I loved the most recent Batman Trilogy, well, right up to the last one. I am just saying that they are like 1 for 10 lately (slight exaggeration but not by much). As for Green Arrow or Black Canary, I suspect that they won't tread on their CW Television franchise in that arena.

I do have hopes that the up coming Superman v Batman: Dawn of Justice will be worth the time. I am not a fan of Afleck in the role of Batman, but then I didn't think that Michael Keaton could pull it off either. And I do hope that Wonder Woman does enough of a good showing that they don't can her franchise before it gets off the ground. And I equally hope that Supergirl doesn't turn into another Smallville (although I did kind of appreciate Laura Vandervoort as Kara).

It does seem like superhero stories have come a long way onto Live action media. Hopefully that trend will continue in a positive direction.
    edited May 2015
    LadyRhian said:

Sgt. Rock and Easy Company series (But seriously, who remembers *those* guys?) or BlackHawks. If they wanted to do a full CGI, go with the Metal Men.

Sgt. Rock, Blackhawk, and the Metal Men are actually DC-owned characters.

It is the 616 Marvel U that had Fury with the Howling Commandoes (the original ones, there's been a few variations, I'm not sure Fury ran all of them), though he's also recently been revealed to have a dark-skinned son who resembles Samuel L. Jackson that also got rapidly propmoted to Colonel rank, so there is a bald Nick Fury of African descent in the 616, too.

And I'd love to see someone do the Question--maybe even more as a TV show than a movie.

booinyoureyes