Skip to content

Magic Madness. (SCS Hard. No Reload. All Mage Party)

So I finished my latest Solo sorcerer run, waiting on Adventure Y before moving onto BG2 with him. Let's kill some time.

I created a custom party in multiplayer for this first:

[Name - Race, Alignment, Class. Str:Dex:Con:Int:Wis:Cha]

Leoril The Blue - Human, NE, Dragon Disciple. 10:16:16:18:12:15.

Norven The Black - Elf, LE, Wild Mage. 10:18:15:18:12:12.

Corhana The Purple - Half-Elf, NE, Conjurer. 8:18:16:17:10:12.

Xanhorn The Grey - Human, CE, Necromancer. 10:17:16:18:16:10.

Udotiln The Orange - Human, NE, Sorcerer. 10:15:16:18:12:12.

Thohand The Red - Human, LE, Sorcerer. 14:16:16:18:12:12

I've played quite a bit of Baldur's Gate, but I wouldn't consider myself an excellent player. I'm also pretty new to SCS, so this may be a pretty quick playthrough. If PC dies, it ends. I'm not going for insane, Double Damage is a bit silly.

Chapter 1

[Spoiler]
2 Mirtul, 1368.

Gorion was troubled. Yesterday we had to leave the safety of Candlekeep. I'll likely never know why, as he died defending me last night. We were ambushed, and it appears that I was the real target.

I will have my vengeance. Vengeance at any cost. Tomorrow I intend to find help, perhaps others who share my gift for the art of magic.

4 Mirtul, 1368.

I have gathered some aid. Some of them are a little odd, but they all have an arcane gift of some sort. Who needs ethics when you have such talent and untapped power at your disposal? Gorion wouldn't approve of them. But I have greater things in mind now.

Before he died, Gorion mentioned the Friendly Arm Inn. We decided to travel there, but when we arrived we were attacked by a mage. We quickly dispatched him and on his person was a note. Someone indeed wants me dead, and they're willing to pay 200 gold coins for it. Interesting.

We'll rest here for now. The locals are concerned about the useless iron coming out of the Nashkel Mines. Will start heading there tomorrow, we've got nothing better to do for now.

6 Mirtul, 1368.

Damn Bandits. Xanhorn managed to get himself severely injured. Nothing a priest can't fix, but very much an inconvenience. To make matters worse, we were approached by some members of the Flaming Fist. We were accused of banditry and told we were to be arrested. Really? Walking around in plain sight on a well traveled road. I offered them 50 Gold Pieces to leave us be. Their integrity ultimately cost them their lives. Fools.

Beregost was quite eventful. We met another mage, I don't think she told us her name. She was being chased by a group of mages' and wanted help. I didn't have much choice in the matter as said mages quickly appeared. We dispatched them, but not before they had slain her. Ah well, she had a nice little gem bag. Dead men need no property.

Later on in the day we found ourselves in the employ of Silke, who asked us to defend her against some "Thugs". I don't like being lied to, but I like 300 gold pieces more. We killed the men and took the coin. Not far from Nashkel now.

9 Mirtul, 1368.

Had to defend myself against another assassin today. Upon arriving at Nashkel, we decided to stay and rest at the inn. Unfortunately, so did my would-be assassin. This one was more capable than the last, but we still managed to kill her. It seems the price on my head has increased to 680 coins. My "Friends" don't need to know about that little detail.

Later on we were mistaken for an assassin by the name of Greywolf. 200 coins is an expensive mistake. Will aid me in keeping the help in line. The richer we get the more disciplined they are. Well, everyone except Xanhorn. He seems to be quite content with all the fighting and killing. Tonight when everyone else was at the inn, he was at the temple graveyard doing something, although I'm not sure what. Necromancy is a little disturbing to say the least.
[/spoiler]

I started this a couple of days ago but didn't decide to write about it until today, so no pics. Will try to remember some for next time.

Let me know if you have any tips for a full mage SCS playthrough, and if you have any feedback on the writing etc. Thanks.

Comments

• GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372

Let me know if you have any tips for a full mage SCS playthrough, and if you have any feedback on the writing etc. Thanks.

Best advice I can give for heavy spell casting parties, is to turn on 'Auto pause - spell cast'. It is wonderfully helpful, and saves on the inevitable character idling during bigger chaotic fights, where you can quickly lose track of who is doing what.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Look up @semiticgod's party of spiders play through.

Polymorph self (sword spider), minor sequencer (shocking grasp) is bread and butter.

Having your entire party cast magic missile will be a devastating strategy at low levels. As you get higher you'll have more opportunities for use of excessive force.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Wowo said:

Look up @semiticgod's party of spiders play through.

Polymorph self (sword spider), minor sequencer (shocking grasp) is bread and butter.

Having your entire party cast magic missile will be a devastating strategy at low levels. As you get higher you'll have more opportunities for use of excessive force.

Not heard of that tactic, sounds like fun though.
    Genryu said:

Best advice I can give for heavy spell casting parties, is to turn on 'Auto pause - spell cast'. It is wonderfully helpful, and saves on the inevitable character idling during bigger chaotic fights, where you can quickly lose track of who is doing what.
    Done that, cheers.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    PC just met his end to Zordral at the Nashkel carnival. Darn Sleep.
    Did say it might be a very short attempt ^^. Ah well.

Gonna continue with this party though (Without writing). It's a fun challenge so far.