Skip to content

There's a hint that the next project for Beamdog will be NWN

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited May 2015 in Off-Topic
For about a year it seemed Beamdog didn't think about the idea of NWN:EE. But it looks like they are again considering working with NWN as their next project (after the Adventure Y, of course), based on the latest information available.

First, it was this tweet from March, 2015, about "you never know":

Then in the known podcast Trent Oster mentioned NWN as one of the possible future projects.

And now Trent Oster has said that they " have talked about " a remake/remaster of NWN, and not only that, in fact he has mentioned what particular things could be included into such a work:

To me, it looks more and more likely that the Beamdog's next choice is NWN.
DungeonnoobFinneousPJAedanNonnahswriterStarflower2525

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Bummer, I really hoped they'll tackle PST instead...
    Fardragon
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Yeah, I don't think there is any real need for a NWN revamp. Given the lousy plot of the OC, it was only ever useful as a "build your own adventure" kit, and NWN2 was pretty much an "EE" of that, and look how good that wasn't...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I enjoyed NWN2 and it's expansions - although I modded the spirit eater mechanic out as I found it far too annoying
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I really wish it's not NWN.
    Messi
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Yeah NWN was a let down especially OC....Horde had its moment
    artificial_sunlight
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Upgrade the core of the game and build a new campaign? Sounds awesome!
    JuliusBorisov
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Aside from the masterpiece that is Mask of the Betrayer, I avoid the NWN series like the plague.

Upgrade the core of the game

How though? If it doesn't look like DAI it's going to look dated. And if it's going to look dated anyway, why not leave it how it is? NWN2 tried to "upgrade the core game", and gave us a slow, glitchy, dated-looking 3D graphics, cut features, and yet another boring OC.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2015
    I liked both NWN and NWN2 more than the average D&D fan. (I never finished Mask of the Betrayer, though, because of not liking the spirit-eater business.) Of the two, I liked NWN1 better. I even liked the OC (I actually enjoyed the Act I Neverwinter City campaigns, and I thought the final act time travel and the ancient dinosaur people were interesting. It did bog down a little in the middle.) And then, some of the community made campaigns, such as Savant's Aielund Saga, and Adam Miller's campaigns, were among the best D&D games I've ever played.

I can't really imagine what Beamdog can do with it to improve it. But I couldn't imagine what they could do with Baldur's Gate, either. I guess bringing it to tablet form would be the big thing. I don't use a tablet computer, but if I did, I would definitely want to be able to play NWN on it.

Maybe it would revitalize the NWN modding community, and create a new generation of players, if Beamdog gave NWN their special treatment, the way they have with Baldur's Gate.

Count me as a vote for doing it. I'll definitely buy it if they do it.
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @BelgarathMTH The revitalization of the modding community is what I hope for as well. There were so many creative, independent minds there and they truly made NWN amazing.
    BelgarathMTH
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I can't really imagine what Beamdog can do with it to improve it. But I couldn't imagine what they could do with Baldur's Gate, either. I guess bringing it to tablet form would be the big thing. I don't use a tablet computer, but if I did, I would definitely want to be able to play NWN on it.

I'm not really that familiar with tablets, but to me a 3d game like NWN wouldn't really transfer very well to that kind of a platform. I can't imagine moving the camera around would be very easy. Baldur's Gate at least has the benefit of being a fixed view.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    elminster said:

I'm not really that familiar with tablets, but to me a 3d game like NWN wouldn't really transfer very well to that kind of a platform. I can't imagine moving the camera around would be very easy. Baldur's Gate at least has the benefit of being a fixed view.
    KOTOR on iPad works really well. In some ways it's actually easier to play than on PC.
    FardragoniKrivetkoDelvarian
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'm kind of certain that if Beamdog really makes it, it will include a tablet version. The tabletification of old games is their main trait, I think.
    procco
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    procco said:

elminster said:

KOTOR on iPad works really well. In some ways it's actually easier to play than on PC.
    In what way?
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    procco said:

elminster said:

Bard's Tale was pulled off really well IMHO. Using arrows wasn't perfect, but I didn't look into whether it supported bluetooth controllers and whether that changed anything. Beyond that, and the occasional annoying camera angle, I thought it worked out well. Makes me want to go kill some trowl now in fact.
    procco
    elminster said:

procco said:

elminster said:

In what way?
    It's been a while since I played it, but moving around is really smooth...just a swipe of the finger. I honestly can't remember how the camera works, if there's a toggle or something but don't recall having any trouble with it. Plus, tapping through menus is much quicker for me than using a mouse. I know some people here will strongly disagree, but I also find the IE games way easier to manage on a tablet than on PC. It's so much quicker to tap on a screen than drag a mouse around.
    I've been meaning to load KOTOR up on my iPad again so I'll give more feedback when I do.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I would prefer IWD 2 EE...

I dont know how they can EE Nwn ... For BG1 it was obvious, like using the engine of BG2, fixing bugs, enhanced effects etc. I really don't know what can be done in NWN except bug fixing and minor graphics improvement.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I liked both NWN1 and NWN2 and played both many, MANY hours. It might be cool to see a NWN:EE version. My concerns would be as follows.

So much has been modded to fix/improve the original game already. Unless someone actually got the rights to all of the UI and AI mods, not to mention all of the PRC packages it would seem to be a significant step backwards for the game.

Further, as has already been stated, the game looks dated. BG at least maintained it's looks from the perspective that there isn't a lot out there to compare it with. NWN would need a MAJOR face-lift in order to compete in the gaming market even with NWN2 let alone something like Dragon Age. Then you only have the nostalgia to hook players. And again without all of the upgrades that already exist? Probably not even them.

However, I didn't think that BG:EE would launch, so I have been wrong before.
    SethDavisiKrivetko
    elminster said:

procco said:

elminster said:

In what way?
    On the PC, the controls feel clumsily transferred from the console version. Mouse control feels unnatural. They feel much more natural on the iPad.
    procco

I don't use a tablet computer, but if I did, I would definitely want to be able to play NWN on it.

Maybe it would revitalize the NWN modding community, and create a new generation of players, if Beamdog gave NWN their special treatment, the way they have with Baldur's Gate.

Modding for tablets, especially iPads, is much more technical than modding on a PC. They design them to hide the back end stuff so duffers can't break them by accidentally deleting system files.
    Fardragon said:

I don't use a tablet computer, but if I did, I would definitely want to be able to play NWN on it.

Modding for tablets, especially iPads, is much more technical than modding on a PC. They design them to hide the back end stuff so duffers can't break them by accidentally deleting system files.
    That's a good point, especially regarding IOS devices. Android is a whole lot more open. Apple does not like to let anything through that allows for modifying the app at all. It's not unprecedented to have games that allow custom content to be added, though. There's an interactive fiction app called Frotz that you can actually load your old Infocom and other IF games into. You basically have to upload them from a PC onto Frotz's server, and then download them as free DLC. *commences thinking out loud* That could certainly be a way to go if Apple still allows it. Trent Oster also seemed to be, from reading some Tweets regarding the whole Steam charging for mods deal, in favor of letting modders make money. I have a feeling Beamdog would be a much more favorable "business partner" to modders than Steam. So, the modders could upload their projects to Beamdog who in turn could make the mods available as DLC for a fee (what that fee would be I have no idea). Having a mod "store" right within the app would really streamline the whole process. The one thing you'd probably not be able to include on the tablet version would be the toolkit to create mods. Dunno, but it's got possibilities, and I'd be down with having NWN on the go.

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Wilbur said:

I really wish it's not NWN.

Same. I still remember what a massive disappointment NWN was for me after BG2. Especially from story perspective.

It also looked really ugly even back in 2002. It was basically released during a time 3d was the thing you needed to have, but PC power was lacking so all you had were big, almost empty, spaces with very low poly creatures. Where as the IE games have aged really well thanks to the artstyle, NWN has aged really poorly.
    CoM_SolaufeinFardragonelminster
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Thanks to NWN it scared me away from 3D games for years. It was my first 3D game. Waste of time to mess with that ugly beast. Better to devote their resources to some BG add ons or BG3.
    brunardo
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    procco said:

Fardragon said:

That's a good point, especially regarding IOS devices. Android is a whole lot more open. Apple does not like to let anything through that allows for modifying the app at all. It's not unprecedented to have games that allow custom content to be added, though. There's an interactive fiction app called Frotz that you can actually load your old Infocom and other IF games into. You basically have to upload them from a PC onto Frotz's server, and then download them as free DLC. *commences thinking out loud* That could certainly be a way to go if Apple still allows it. Trent Oster also seemed to be, from reading some Tweets regarding the whole Steam charging for mods deal, in favor of letting modders make money. I have a feeling Beamdog would be a much more favorable "business partner" to modders than Steam. So, the modders could upload their projects to Beamdog who in turn could make the mods available as DLC for a fee (what that fee would be I have no idea). Having a mod "store" right within the app would really streamline the whole process. The one thing you'd probably not be able to include on the tablet version would be the toolkit to create mods. Dunno, but it's got possibilities, and I'd be down with having NWN on the go.

It is very frustrating that the Android ports don't allow altering the dialogue files in any way. This prevents the majority of mods out there to function at all. On the bright side we still have access to the override and portrait folders. But that doesn't much good when facing an armada of missing .tlk strings.

Regarding an possible NWN:EE (especially for Android), there are two things I am concerned with:

- Premium Modules: As one of those that regrettable missed to purchase all of them while they were still available, having the possibility to play them would be very important to me. Of course I don't only mean the Kingmaker boxed set from the Diamon Edition here.

- Full modding support on tablets: Even with heavily enhanced graphics and a bunch of other gimmicks, I can proclaim that I would most likely not touch the game if the Android port is as limited as the current EE's. Honestly, playing NwN1 without any Dialogue.tlk access would be nothing but a bloody torture. Especially when custom modules and Persistant Worlds are concerned.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    agreed @CoM_Solaufein - NWN was rough and couldnt finish NWN2 as got too tedious. new sword coast RPG looks promising though and better to keep it BG style
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited May 2015
    Personally I don't see NWN being the next game to be tackled. They already have all that experience with the Infinity Engine, why would they abandon all that and switch to something new? It's far more likely that they will tackle the remaining IE games, Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape Torment, before moving on to something brand new. And it's not like the Aurora engine, I believe that's what it's called, is used in all that many games. The only ones I know about are NWN and of The Witcher. And there's absolutely no need for an EE version The Witcher. It would make a lot more economic sense to stick with the Infinity Engine for now.
    Post edited by Belanos on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The Witcher actually already has an Enhanced Edition, released by CDProjekt Red.
    wubbleelminster
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    hmmm
    I believe it will be awesome if they made "Neverwinter Ngiths 3" of a sort.
    take the best parts of nwn 1 and 2 and migrate all of the official campaigns and dlcs into this new build with all teh kinks and goodies.
    then have the toolset beefed up and of course fix someway the multiplayer to work with steam account or something...
    will be epic.

but probably they will do IWD2 and PS:T first. then maybe TOEE.
    the_spyder
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    Belanos said:

Personally I don't see NWN being the next game to be tackled. They already have all that experience with the Infinity Engine, why would they abandon all that and switch to something new? It's far more likely that they will tackle the remaining IE games, Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape Torment, before moving on to something brand new. And it's not like the Aurora engine, I believe that's what it's called, is used in all that many games. The only ones I know about are NWN and The Witcher. And there's absolutely no need for an EE version The Witcher. It would make a lot more economic sense to stick with the Infinity Engine for now.

I was a little confused by the "own matching infrastructure" comment on this topic and thought similarly about it as that comment seemed inconsistent with what you pointed out (Infinity vs Aurora). Unless by "infrastructure" he was referring to something else, that, along with "director's cut" or "build a new story" made me wonder whether they're going to build it up from scratch from Infinity. That would be pretty fantastic IMO, but I don't know how plausible that is. Seems like it would be pretty time-consuming, basically making a new game.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    if something radical would be added to the game such as more quests, more depth to the environment...a rework of the existing campaigns to make them less dull and linear, interesting characters; something interesting RP-wise such as good & evil & nonviolent paths etc. or maybe an ability to create a party from the beginning that you have full control over
    - then yeah, sure. might be worth it.
    but if it's going to be something superficial such as higher res textures and superficial added content then no pls.