Skip to content

[(BG2) Bug] Scrolls with cropped inventory icons (0815)

IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
edited September 2012 in Fixed
Current behaviour: Several spell scrolls have their inventory icon BAMs cropped from the right. To be clear, I am referring to the icon BAM displayed when the item is occupying an inventory slot. I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate.

Expected behaviour: The scrolls affected should have their icon BAMs restored. The BAMs in BG1 are uncropped and do not suffer from this problem. Here is a list of the scrolls affected:

scrl5a    Mental Domination
scrl5b Defensive Harmony
scrl5c Protection From Lightning
scrl5d Protection From Evil 10' radius
scrl5e Champion's Strength
scrl5f Chaotic Commands
scrl5g Remove Curse
scrl5h Emotion
scrl5i Greater Malison
scrl5j Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
scrl5k Spirit Armor
scrl5l Polymorph Other
scrl5m Polymorph Self
scrl5n Domination
scrl5o Hold Monster
scrl5p Chaos
scrl5q Feeblemind

Games affected: BG2, BGEE.

Notes: These scrolls' icon BAMs are cropped in BG2, as well.

Post edited by Bhryaen on
AndreaColomboBhryaen

Comments

• IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
    Update: I've just confirmed these scrolls' icon BAMs are cropped in BG2, as well. Movin' this thread on over to the BG1/BG2 forum.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Feel free to take the fixed BAMs from the BG2 Fixpack. I made them so you have my permission.
    AndreaColomboSethDavis
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Using the ones from the fixpack removes the cropping, but the images are noticeably smaller than the other scrolls :(
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @SethDavis - do you think you could devise a workaround that removes the cropping without making the scrolls look smaller? That would be really A.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    FWIW, the BG1 icons do not appear to suffer from any cropping. Dunno how they would look in-game though.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    In fact, I see no reason why BG:EE shouldn't make extensive use of BG1 icons. Apart from the fact that they look vastly better than BG2 icons, it would also be more consistent.
    edited July 2012
    Using the ones from the fixpack removes the cropping, but the images are noticeably smaller than the other scrolls :(
    Well... crap. To make those I just pulled a working scroll icon into photoshop, dumped the spell graphic, and then layered the xxxB (or xxxA or xxxc?) version of the spell and cleaned up the edges. I doubt I have my old PSD, but I'll check. Even if not it really wouldn't be too hard to re-do.

@CamDawg - That would be great ^^. I have the PhotoShop skills of a one legged newt... if newts are supposed to have legs....
    I'm not seeing a difference with the Fixpack BAMs. They look fine on my build (see attached image). I've attached a zip of the BAMs if anyone else wants to drop them in their override and check out before and after.

Bhryaen
    edited July 2012
    @CamDawg - But how do they look when placed beside a scroll that was not having a clipping problem?

On my screen they are either smaller, or aren't receiving the same centering as the other scrolls.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Looking at @CamDawg 's image, to me, it looks like the scrolls aren't properly centered on his screen either.

Both his scrolls and one of yours look like they are slightly off to the bottom right corner.
    Ah, I see what you mean now. It's actually not a size issue (the replacement and original BAMs are both 32x32) it's an offset problem. The replacements are shifted three pixels right and one further down compared to the other scroll BAMs. Should be a pretty straightforward adjustment in BAM Workshop; I'll post another batch once I've got them sorted. Here's what your graphic would look like with the shift (QnD from Photoshop):
    SethDavis
    Alright, take two is attached.
    Bhryaen
    @CamDawg - They should be good. Thanks ^^
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @SethDavis

This has already been fixed?
    @Tanthalas - Not sure, there were no BAMs in the modification process before I added these, so I dont know if they are working. I'll move it to being worked on just in case.
    This looks to have made it in. Moving to unconfirmed.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    edited September 2012
    [SNIP]

Sleep next to Feeblemind for an easier comparison. I'm not sure if I see something myself.

A real problem right now is that you have to resize your window manually to find a "resolution" where there are no graphical muck-ups.
    Post edited by Bhryaen on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Confirmed fixed. - by looking at the screenshot @Humanoid_Taifun provided.
    Taifun, look at the shots CamDawg provided. The right sides of the icons are cut off on it.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Avenger_teambg Yeah, you're right. Sorry, I was just very tired at the time of posting.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

@Avenger_teambg Yeah, you're right. Sorry, I was just very tired at the time of posting.

No problem at all. I didn't confirm this because i didn't know what to look at first :D