Skip to content

Why can't I kill Marchor Harpell?

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
I killed Drizzt for the second time(killed him in BG1) and Marchor Harpell appeared to take all of Drizzt's gear ignoring my protests.

My party just vanquished Demogorgon in less than 30 seconds before we were humiliated by Marchor Harpell. Why aren't we allowed to fight this fool? I know he is the second most powerful disciple of Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun(lvl 27 mage), but the matter of fact is that neither him, his master nor Elminster should be able to stand against the PC's party who could destroy Irenicus, level 30 mage, and Demogorgon, the prince of demons.

I got pissed off and decided to deal with this guy. I face-tanked imprisonment with spell immunity and sucked his brain out of his skull with mindflayer shapeshift; he died. Then I picked back up the gear of Drizzt... only to find out that Marchor Harpell appeared again NEXT TO HIS OWN DEAD CORPSE. I couldn't talk to him, so I killed him again. Another Marchor Harpell appeared. I ignored him and moved to a different area. Another Marchor Harpell appeared. Then it got worse. He starting cloning himself. Soon I was surrounded by 20 Marchor Harpells all trying to initiate dialogue with my PC. I couldn't even move at this point. You get the picture.

I don't understand this mechanics. He is not a plot-related character and killing Drizzt is a legit action allowed by the game. Drizzt's gear are not even good enough to warrant this artificial balance keeper. Then why he is there pestering players needlessly? He shouldn't have been made invincible. We should be able to battle this mage. I think this is one of very poor design choices in the game.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what you could do, is let him have the drizzt items, and then after he leaves, summon them back in via cheat console, granted that does kind of suck, but that is the only way around it that I can see, and back in the old vanilla days of SoA, (before ToB) I guess the original devs deamed the gear from drizzt and pals to be to good so they made it that no matter what you do you lose it after Bodhi, another thing you could probably do is use the enhanced edition gate keeper to delete his creature file so he won't show up, although that has the possibility of causing some game crashing bugs possibly or maybe biff the understudy will just keep showing up, but I would try the first strategy; let him take the gear, and then just summon it back in with the cheat console ( if you don't know how to activate the cheat console, you can find a thread for it here on this forum) and if you want the item codes for the items he takes, use the enhanced edition gate keeper to find the codes so you can summon them in
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Well obviously Demogorgon would be too easy if the game let you use Drizzt's +3 scimitars and his Mithril Chain Mail +4. Those are crazy overpowered in ToB. It's a much better challenge if you just use Spectral Brand +5 and the Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 instead.

:P
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    plus the mithril field plate can stack with magical rings and cloaks
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited May 2015
    You can fight and kill Marchor Harpell. All you need is to have everyone (or enough people) be immune to Imprisonment (various ways to do so). IIRC Marchor can be killed quite easily after that.

HOWEVER this will cause some funky issues. Marchor will actually reappear in various zones, causing a scripted pause and animation, but leaving him passive not doing anything. That isn't a problem for the most part (though an annoyance), but it can bug out certain story events, breaking scripts and essentially locking the game.

(All that is from the unmodded vanilla game, which is when I last did it. I have no idea how the EE behaves, it might be different).

If you just don't want to deal with all this hassle and feel that being able to kill someone like Drizzt earns you the reward of his and his party's fairly mediocre gear (as well it should) I would simply suggest using the BG2Tweaks mod, which has an option to disable Malchor and let you keep the gear. Problem solved.