Skip to content

Any ideas on Dorn Il-Khan starting location?

FaranorFaranor Member Posts: 10
Unlike the other new guys nothing is mentioned where Dorn is recruited so I was wondering if that is an honest omission or if there is something special about it.... So does anyone have the slightest idea on Dorn Il-Khan starting location and level?

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    He's in Beregost at Feldpost's Inn sharing a room upstairs with Algernon. Their's is the love that dare not speak its name.
  • FaranorFaranor Member Posts: 10
    ahh that cloak.....
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think you'll encounter him in some kind of "ambush location". You know, when you're ambushed by enemies and must defend yourself.

I think he's being attacked by somebody and it's up to you if you help him or not. Of course I might be deadly mistaken.
    @ZelgadisGW

He's already a member of the party in that screenshot so that probably isn't where you first encounter him.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Permidion_Stark. He sure is. But maybe there was some kind of dialog before, and he has just joined the party? I mean, look where's the party and where is he now. It looked just like he was ambushed by enemies/former allies or something and you're aiding him.

@Permidion_Stark. He sure is. But maybe there was some kind of dialog before, and he has just joined the party? I mean, look where's the party and where is he now. It looked just like he was ambushed by enemies/former allies or something and you're aiding him.

You might be right. He does appear to be surrounded by thieves. Then again maybe whoever was playing the game mistook him for Khalid and sent him out on his own expecting him to get pummeled?

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I don't think you're right, sadly. I recognize that particular bandit gang. I think they just sent Dorn off on his own for the purposes of the screenshot.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Way over-analyzing that screenshot. Dorn is the primary focus of the shot, of course they threw him in the middle of some bandits (and indeed, the middle of the screen) so that you would notice him and be like "ooohhhh new NPC!! :33333"
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    He has the green circle around him, means he's part of the party already.
  • noodles_toonoodles_too Member Posts: 23
    If you look at the 4 screen shots that are on the page describing Dorn,that everyone seems to be basing their guesses on...
    Top and bottom right are as you've all said are from the Gibberling Mountains location AR5500. However bottom left is Wyrms Crossing AR0900 the bridge on the way into Baldurs Gate,hmm why have that?
    Top left is a one of the locations from the "you have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself!" wandering monsters encounter you sometimes get whilst travelling between the main areas...again why?
    So my point is CAN you judge anything from these 4 screenshots? Are they not just random screenshots to show off some of the game and Dorn.
    Rasaad and Neera's 4 screenshots are all from the two new locations their characters stories are involved in and tied to showing what we've got to look forward to.
    Thoughts?
    New theory...
    It says in his new character description he's "imprisioned". Don't know if thats present or past. Could he be in the garrison/barracks in Naskell? I haven't played BG in years,is there another prison anywhere?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    This image is taken in a southeast area where there are mass of gibberlings to fireball and a flaming fist searching for a criminal. we can see in this picture a lot of undead friends and a black robed trick user who are not there in the vanilla game.. so this is my guess where we will encounter him.

@mch202 Maybe. Always wondered what that blood splatter on the rocks was all about...
    Or it could be a screenshot of when Dorn catches up with one of the traitorous mercenaries he's sworn to destroy?
    It passes the time to guess...
  • LoonLoon Member Posts: 18
    I've spotted him in theFriendly Arm Inn, but he is not interested in joining me right now. Is that because I'm half-orc too with a very low charisma or it's just not the right moment?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Loon You encounter him later while traveling to the Nashkel Mines.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I started a discussion on this here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9210/okay-i-give-up-spoil-me-getting-dorn-to-join-spoilers#latest

as there is apparently variation in how all this occurs. It's all rather confusing at this point.
  • CarstonCarston Member Posts: 36
    My first encuonter with Dorn Il-Khan was random encounter just when I was going from Nashkel Carnival to Nashkel Mines with my Blackguard, since then I have made another charname Archer, but so far I haven't had the same encounter and I have travelled across the region.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    Best I can tell, it appears to be set up thusly:

1) you are to speak with Dorn prior to going to the Nashkel mines, and,

2) after you do, then upon entering the Nashkel mines map area the joinable encounter occurs ("You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend youself," etc.)

In addition, it seems that if you did not speak with Dorn before completing the Nashkel mines quest, you can still then go speak to him... and he will refuse to join... but if you then travel to the Nashkel mines map the encounter will take place as well. (Although, after completing the Nashkel mines how many players will have occasion to return there? Not many, I'll wager.)

Evidently if you do not speak to him at all, the encounter will eventually take place later in the game, apparently via a timer, or according to some random variable, or something like that.