Skip to content

PoE Triple Crown Solo, if you were to attempt it which class would you pick?

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
So if you where going to attempt this, which class would you pick and why?
I'm probably never going to attempt this myself, at least not the Iron man mode, too many bad memories from Diablo 3.
  1. PoE Triple Crown Solo, if you were to attempt it which class would you pick?26 votes
    1. Barbarian
        3.85%
    2. Chanter
      34.62%
    3. Cipher
      11.54%
    4. Druid
        7.69%
    5. Fighter
        0.00%
    6. Monk
      11.54%
    7. Paladin or Priest
        3.85%
    8. Ranger
        3.85%
    9. Rogue
      19.23%
    10. Wizard
        3.85%
JuliusBorisovMusignyButtercheese

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited April 2015
    A high stealth Cipher could start every combat invis with a AOE stun into a single or later multiple domination and then throw down a summon.
    So i guess it has some potential to not get instagibbed, if played extremely carefully.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2015
    I know at least two (Edit: three) people shared openly their successes on the Triple Crown Solo, with a rogue, a barbarian and a chanter respectively:

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/31hoha/am_i_the_first_solo_triple_crown/

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/32cete/triple_crown_solo_barb_achieved_on_my_first/

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/32nuyv/the_complete_guide_to_triple_crown_solo_as_a/

Playing as a rogue character myself (although in the party) I perfectly understand that some of her abilities will help greatly in a solo run: Escape and Shadowing Beyond

I'm still very far from beating the game on the first run but I'm going to try a rogue solo one day.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Musignywoowoovoodoo
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2015
    Honestly I don't know.
    I guess that a rogue with summoned friends would fit my "style" but I am much more interested in full teams at the moment.
    A guy documented how he did a PotD solo with a rogue and then a paladin using a setup that looks fair.
    Both characters have a bias, they boost might and constitution. This is not something I would have thought to do. He thinks that if the paladin can do it then all fighter types can do it.
    The TiO option is highly subject to cheat (people still reload their game and/or they run parallel games).
    JuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    What is Triple Crown Solo?
    JuliusBorisovwoowoovoodoo
    edited April 2015

What is Triple Crown Solo?

Expert Mode, Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned, solo run
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't know if it matters that much solo, but in general Expert Mode doesn't sound fun. The AoE targeting thing is brilliant and BGEE should have got one as well.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
    edited April 2015

I don't know if it matters that much solo, but in general Expert Mode doesn't sound fun. The AoE targeting thing is brilliant and BGEE should have got one as well.

I disagree, not having the AOE targeting thing feels way more organic. Plus like half the AOE spells in PoE only affect enemies anyways "Foe AOE", I really only ended up using those.
    Besides 'Minoletta's Concussive Missiles' those things are amazing and the AOE is tiny, no chance of damaging any of my party.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I don't know whether I find it fun or not, but one thing is for certain: now when I've got used to the AoE targeting, I see the Expert Mode as the more difficult thing for me than the Trial of Iron and the Path of the Damned combined.
    SmilingSword
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    From what I've read it sounds like a tanky rogue is the strongest choice right now. Sneak is really good for avoiding fights. Also summoning the familiars is important. I want to try a solo run as soon as I finish the game, but it won't be a triple crown game.
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Barb is by far the easiest way to do it.
    Not only is Retaliation + Carnage + One Stands Alone stupidly strong, Carnage also works with some spells, such as Jolting Touch and Touch of Rot, if memory serves me well. If you don't cock up you positioning and get nuked down, you are basically invulnerable.
    FinneousPJ
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Summons, buffs and debuffs. Bit of everything.
    cmk24
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @iKrivetko I've been following along on the PoE and Steam forums, there's a few people attempting with Barbarians, but the most progressed is stuck near the end of the game as far as I know.

For anyone who hasn't been following the various Triple Crown Solo threads around, it appears the most difficult part of the game for most players is reaching Act 2. I won't spoil anything, but there's a couple of difficult situations early in the game that only a few classes seem suited to getting through reliably. There are strategies that work with any class, but many of those rely on RNG loot drops to succeed etc.

For my own attempt(s), I'll be trying with tank Chanter first, and maybe a Cipher. Tank Chanter is very decent at mitigating damage, and the chants and invocations are very versatile, particularly the summons. Cipher is also looking pretty viable, and has a good bag of tricks with the various spells.

Both of these classes also don't rely on per-rest spells or abilities to fight, leading to less tedium backtracking to rest spots and/or back to places to buy camping supplies etc.

Another (potentially) important factor to consider is race selection. I'll probably try with Pale Elf first (for the fire/cold damage reduction), but Moon Godlike is my other option.

Finally, a couple of the people who have completed TCS abused the "quit during combat doesn't save" to avoid having to start over due to Ironman mode.

Personally, I'm waiting for a few patches to fix various bugs and hopefully turn these achievements into "legit" ones before progressing further in my own playthroughs. My last playthrough got stuck in a place due to non functional doors that got bugged in a patch. I do not want to face that in a TCS playthrough ;)
    woowoovoodoocmk24JuliusBorisov
    @Faydark keep us posted. I haven't really looked at the threads too much because I haven't beaten the game just yet. I've read a few "spoiler free" threads and read some of the same issues in act 1.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Monk. Why? Because they seem to wholeheartly enjoy to suffer such playthroughs. :smirk:
    woowoovoodoojackjackJuliusBorisov
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just watched a 37 minute speedrun. Some interesting glitches in the game for sure.
    jackjack
    And just this morning, I find that TCS has been done with a Paladin. There was a lot of speculation that Paladin wouldn't have enough DPS to do it (some bosses regen), but it looks like the speculation was wrong =D

@CoryNewb Rogue is a good choice too, I think the first TCS I ever followed along on the forums was a Rogue. It sounded a bit tedious though to me. I like variety and Rogue seemed like a lot of "stealth, snipe, vanish, repeat".
    JuliusBorisovCoryNewb
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Ahahahahaha, I think I'd rather eat rotten eggs than attempt to get this achievement :'D
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
    @Faydark

Any new news since the patch? I haven't started my solo run (probably won't be triple crown solo) yet but I am interested to read more about the topic. Once you get lvl 12 do you just stick to the critical sorry path?
    To be honest, things have kinda gone quiet for the last couple of weeks. I think TCS has been done with every class now, I've seen threads for Monk and I think I saw one for Ranger as well.

Most people tend to avoid the challenging content where possible, but set up a list of side quests with neccessary/easy rewards etc. If you scan the PoE official build forum you'll be able to find all that info.

One Chanter player I saw did complete Endless Paths in TCS, so it seems everything is doable if you have the patience.

I haven't started on my TCS yet, I'm just lurking and making notes and plans. Waiting for patch 1.05 which should be out soon, and then I'll start chipping away at it.
    JuliusBorisov
    Someone's posted up a series of youtube videos (backed up by a live stream of Act III/IV) of a TCS run as a Paladin. This player also posted a video waaaay back of a TCS run with a Monk, however it was only the final fight of the game pretty much.

Besides the "proof" aspect, the video may come in handy for plotting out a "critical path" when planning your own playthrough.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79251-fully-recorded-paladin-triple-crown-solo/
    JuliusBorisovCoryNewb
    I was reading up about my potential solo run after beating PoE this weekend. I started a death godlike rogue...but after 40 hours in the world I want to take a step back for now and not burnout.
    JuliusBorisov