Skip to content

Umbra Kickstarter is now live!

Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
edited May 2015 in Off-Topic
I want to recommend this kickstarter game: Umbra
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1062682568/umbra

A CryEngine ARPG which seems to be super unique and showcase a lot of modding potential! It also looks beautiful without being a resource-hog, at least last time I asked. IT is best described as a Skyrim-Diablo saga hybrid.

a preview video is here

Post edited by Dark_Ansem on
Silverstar[Deleted User]

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Pledgified.
    Dark_Ansem
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    new video detailing environmental background and interactions:
    edited May 2015
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Site could do with a grammar pass. "Discover the terrible secret of the extinguishing mankind"?
    It could, but a writer once said "it's not grammar that counts, but the heart." I'm willing to let it pass!
    edited May 2015
    As an English teacher once said "it's not grammar that counts, it's effective communication".

I'm not willing to back a project from someone who writes jibberish in the first paragraph.
    [Deleted User]
    in that they're not bad. I can feel their enthusiasm.
    Enthusiasm to do a job properly, or enthusiasm to create a mess with other peoples' money?

It's not that hard to check grammar, or to ask someone to proof-read for you.
    you are determined to be focused on something like that, instead of looking at the bigger picture?
    when they uploaded it it was 1am, in France, I suppose. I'll take someone THAT determined over a prissy grammar nazi that never updates his\her project.

you are determined to be focused on something like that, instead of looking at the bigger picture?
    when they uploaded it it was 1am, in France, I suppose. I'll take someone THAT determined over a prissy grammar nazi that never updates his\her project.

I AM looking at the bigger picture. If you can't write clearly, how in hell can you write a decent computer game?! If it is 1AM, shouldn't you go to bed, check what you have written for mistakes in the morning, then post it? Especially if you are asking people to give you money and need to make a good impression?

You are right, it's not the grammar that's important. Saying "there is a mistake in your grammar" is just a kinder way of saying "what you have written is a steaming pile of bantha poodoo".
    There's plenty of good impression: videos, trailers, concepts...

You seem very much bent on highlighting something circumstantial by making it pass as a dire mistake / error in judgement. Typos happen. As long as their code is clean, they can be fixed. Even the Elder Scrolls, Planescape Torment and Baldur's gate (the first release) had them, and no one was hellbent on trashing them.
    It's not just a typo, it's a sentence that makes absolutely no sense, and it is right at the beginning (there are other mistakes further on, but you don't start looking for them until you see the early obvious one). It should have been obvious on a simple read-through. That it wasn't spotted is careless, and you can't write clean code if you are careless.

Actually, the reason I pointed it out was in the hope that someone involved in the project would read my post and correct it. I WAS trying to help.
    Heh, didn't look like that! you came out only as hostile.

Heh, didn't look like that! you came out only as hostile.

If you interpret someone pointing out an error as hostile, then you are perhaps excessively defensive.

If someone had pointed out that I had made a similar mistake (and I do quite often) I would have corrected it and thanked them. And I'm not asking people to give me money.
    maybe. but it was your writing tone that ruined your effort.
    edited May 2015

maybe. but it was your writing tone that ruined your effort.

There was no tone. I just said there where mistakes and quoted one.

Hostile sounds like this: "These idiots can't even write properly, how are they supposed to make a decent computer game!!!"
    that's what you wrote: "If you can't write clearly, how in hell can you write a decent computer game?!"

that's what you wrote: "If you can't write clearly, how in hell can you write a decent computer game?!"

No, I didn't. I wrote: "Site could do with a grammar pass. "Discover the terrible secret of the extinguishing mankind"?".

I didn't turn hostile until you called me a grammar nazi.
    that was not aimed at you. and check your posts, you did write the sentence I quoted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Maybe it's time to move on from the subject of grammar here, @Fardragon and @Dark_Ansem . Carry on!
    Dark_Ansem
    bengoshi said:

Maybe it's time to move on from the subject of grammar here, @Fardragon and @Dark_Ansem . Carry on!

Since when was "quitted" a word?

:wink:
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    o.O
    edited May 2015
    makes it difficult, I know.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Wow. You're denying writing what everyone can see you wrote.

Wow. You're denying writing what everyone can see you wrote.

excuse me?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You are excused, for that was none of your doing.
    Dark_Ansem

You are excused, for that was none of your doing.

oh I like this wording :)
    FinneousPJ
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Stay on topic, folks. There's more on that page than one sentence.
    Dark_AnsemJuliusBorisov