Skip to content

Using cursed items

ATigersClawATigersClaw Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 161
Like the title states, I'd like to know your personal opinion on which of the cursed items in BG1 are worth giving a try.
I'm not just looking at it from a powerplaying perspective but also from a roleplaying one to which of these items improve the gameplay experience.

I came up with this topic because I just found the cursed spear "Backbiter". What do you guys think about it?

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I'm not a fan of the items. First of all, spears aren't very overwhelming. A cursed spear that hurts you? I'd rather not.

And for the cursed sword of berserking...I don't like chunking my own team. It's the same problem that I have with Minsc's ability. Losing control isn't 'good.'

I much prefer the cursed armor found in icewind dale.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Claw of Kazgaroth is always a nice thing, even with the penalties, but that's probably the easiest cursed item to handle.

I tried using the berserk sword a few times, I think it's fun but I haven't actually tried beating the game with it. It's probably doable, but too much of a ''pain in the ass'' outside very simple combat situations.

Definitely a lot of fun to be had with cursed items overall though, so I like them.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    My druid->fighter uses it because she can heal herself just fine. With a potion or ring of regeneration it is not that awful.

The problem with some cursed items is that they provide no benefit and there is no way to apply them to npcs in a sneaky manner. So they are largely just fluff to be sold to lucky aello (spelling?)
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    There's a pretty good Two-handed sword called The Gold Digger - (+1 weapon which removes 10g from your inventory every time you hit) - Aleppo discount store.

It delivers pretty good damage but sucks your gold.
    Aerakar
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I always liked playing around with the Girdle of Gender Change, especially tricking someone into equipping it in Multiplayer.
    SkatanAerakar
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    I like the cursed scroll of foolishness. It gives an NPC I want to get rid of just enough negative luck to stand a good chance of dying. While still providing them with some opportunity to act as useful fodder.
    AerakarRaduzielStummvonBordwehrtbone1
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Just as @Jarrakul I think the cursed sword of berzerking is a very interresting item, as well as the backbiter you mention @ATigersClaw.

I have never tried any cursed item really, I just sell them. I would like to have cursed items where sometimes the benefits outweigh the negatives. Could make for some interresting gear setups.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215

Blackguards can drink from Durlag's Goblet without the fear penalty. Even though it shows the status as "Cursed" for 12 hours, it doesn't do anything except fully restore your health. Nothing but a win in in my book.

Any character that can equip Kiel helmet can drink from the goblet as the helmet will prevent the panic effect.
    JuliusBorisovFiendish_WarriorStummvonBordwehrMirandel
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    gunman said:

Blackguards can drink from Durlag's Goblet without the fear penalty. Even though it shows the status as "Cursed" for 12 hours, it doesn't do anything except fully restore your health. Nothing but a win in in my book.

Any character that can equip Kiel helmet can drink from the goblet as the helmet will prevent the panic effect.
    I know, but I much more prefer the Helmet of Defense to Kiel's. To be able to have 20% resistances and +1 saving throws while quickslotting the Goblet is really nice. You could mess around with switching helmets, but who wants to do that? It kind of breaks the role-playing for me.

On a side note, has anyone tried Raging or Berserking before drinking from the Goblet. I'm wondering if those are additional workarounds.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Evidently (from various posts above) there are some people playing this game in (what seem to me to be) pretty weird ways!

Playing a "straight" game, the only cursed items which I find worth using are the Big-Fisted Belt (there's always someone in my party who benefits greatly from that) and the Claw of Kazgaroth (depending upon who's in my party, but there's usually someone who'll benefit from it).

Sometimes I even find it worth carrying the Claw through into BG2ee (instead of the Helm of Balduran).
    MERLANCE
  • EggHuevoEggHuevo Member Posts: 69
    Scroll of monster summoning summons 2-3 dire wolves/war dogs. Enchant them with the animal charm ring, druid/ranger spells and you have some nice fodder, specially against charming monsters like sirines.
    AerakarContemplative_HamsterRaduziel
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I have heard of people equipping The Vampire’s revenge onto Kagain, so that he can beat his allies to full health while regenerating his own.
    Contemplative_HamsterMathsorcererThacoBellRaduziel
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    The Iron Thorn really seems like there should be some cool trick you can do with it.

It's the one that turns you into a zombie, but I'm pretty sure they changed the description at some point, so now it only makes you look like a zombie.

Near as I can tell there's no benefit to it though. Plus it doesn't say so in the description but it makes you walk slower, so it's super annoying. Even if you wanted to wear it all over the place looking for any interesting zombie dialogues it would just be a hassle to be constantly lagging behind the group like that.
    Contemplative_Hamster
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

That trick also works for Cavaliers btw since they're also inherently immune to fear. Haven't tested this but Cavaliers also have innate ability to dispel fear 1/day per level, they could theoretically allow anybody in the party to use the goblet for free (vanilla bard song might also work for this as I believe it protects from fear-another interesting use for Eldoth or Garrick).
    Mathsorcerer
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2018
    Equipping a cursed item = free identification. There’s a chaotic neutral in all of us.
    Contemplative_HamsterLoldrup
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I'm fairly certain the ossifier was meant to have a chance to petrify since bark makes no sense with the item description but it seemed to have been changed at the last minute.
    smyth25 said:

I have heard of people equipping The Vampire’s revenge onto Kagain, so that he can beat his allies to full health while regenerating his own.

Doubt it since the sword also feebleminds you.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

The Iron Thorn really seems like there should be some cool trick you can do with it.

It's the one that turns you into a zombie, but I'm pretty sure they changed the description at some point, so now it only makes you look like a zombie.

Near as I can tell there's no benefit to it though. Plus it doesn't say so in the description but it makes you walk slower, so it's super annoying. Even if you wanted to wear it all over the place looking for any interesting zombie dialogues it would just be a hassle to be constantly lagging behind the group like that.

I always like the idea of a Necromancer Charname dragging round zombie-Minsc... but I never got around to actually playing it.
    Contemplative_Hamster
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219

I'm fairly certain the ossifier was meant to have a chance to petrify since bark makes no sense with the item description but it seemed to have been changed at the last minute.

smyth25 said:

Doubt it since the sword also feebleminds you.
    I tested it in game and while it does reduce intelligence while held, it doesn't seem to incapacitate the wielder (as per feeblemind). What is strange though is I inspected it in NearInfinity and it doesn't seem to have any intelligence modifying effects listed in it's item effects, so I'm not sure how it is reducing intelligence in the first place.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    The Claw of Kazgaroth has clear benefits - and the saving throw penalty is easily fixed by other items.

Kiel's morning star is brilliant if used properly - there are some threads in the past on the forums on getting the most out of it. As an item though, takes a lot of effort to find in the game. (Brage's cursed sword works in a similar way and is easier to find).

Both the Claw and Morningstar are unique items in the BG series and can be imported with a character into BG2, under certain conditions.

tbone1
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Dharius said:

The Claw of Kazgaroth has clear benefits - and the saving throw penalty is easily fixed by other items.

Kiel's morning star is brilliant if used properly - there are some threads in the past on the forums on getting the most out of it. As an item though, takes a lot of effort to find in the game. (Brage's cursed sword works in a similar way and is easier to find).

Both the Claw and Morningstar are unique items in the BG series and can be imported with a character into BG2, under certain conditions.

How is it possible to get *any* productive use out of Kiels Morningstar or Brages sword? They take away control over the wielder...
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I often use Brage's sword to take out Mustard Jellies in the early game, when heavily enchanted weapons are scarce.

You just give it to Minsc, stand back and let him do his thing. As long as you don't get too close it's fine.
    tbone1
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

I often use Brage's sword to take out Mustard Jellies in the early game, when heavily enchanted weapons are scarce.

You just give it to Minsc, stand back and let him do his thing. As long as you don't get too close it's fine.

This. The Berserk state isn't a problem when there's nothing but enemies around.
    tbone1
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Item Revisions gives the cursed items some more viability. Some of the most powerful magical artifacts in AD&D had some fairly crippling handicaps over time, along with the compulsion to keep using them. A pity that something like the Robe of Vecna doesn't require the player to make sacrifices to keep it. For example there could be (Robe) marked evil aligned interjections in conversations. Choose them and various bad things occur. Don't choose them and the Robe denies you its powers and disappears when removed.
    MalicronSkatan
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364

Yes, it is a great item for blackguards or any other class inmune to fear. A pity you can just drink 6 times. It heals the character fully. Nothinf better than watching your 100 hps character down to a couple, drink from it a voila¡ 100 hit points again
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @helmo1977 It can be recharged. Just sell it and buy it again when you get it down to one drink remaining, as with wands.
    AerakarSkatanDharius