Skip to content

Fighter/thief party composition

Hi, just looking for some feedback on party composition. I am currently a chaotic good, multiclass half-orc fighter/thief. So far I have the following members of my party in mind for the game.

Neera (haven't had her in my party yet)
Minsc (I am a sucker for boo and buttkicking)
Jaheira (I ee keepered her to a ranger/cleric because I despise druids with a passion bordering on fanatic hatred, otherwise I can't stand playing with her)

Wondering if I should replace khalid (he keeps dying) and with whom.
Wondering if I should replace dynahier as I already have neera.

I was originally thinking replacing khalid with Isra mod, which I downloaded, but I realized she is a cavalier, which can't use ranged weapons...a major downer for me, at least early game. Might have to use her on another playthrough...?

Also thinking of Viconia, as command is awesome, and last playthrough I used branwen. Having two command users (jahiera ranger cleric and viconia) could be cool. And now that jahiera is a ranger/cleric, she is not a bad tank.

Not sure if I will replace dynahier or not...

I am using the BG1NPC project mod and the g3 tweaks to change the proficiencies back to original baldur's gate style.

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    What about Ajantis as a Khalid replacement?
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    I always dislike Khalid. Not only is he whiny, he is a mere average fighter at best: no special abilities, mediocre stats, low hp, etc.

You might wanna try Dorn or Rasaad: they are quite fun characters if you haven't tried them.

P.S. I just started a game using a MC half-elf fighter/thief too. Check out my post: http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/639463#Comment_639463

Thinking of having Jaheira, Neera, Branwen, Imonen (dual-class to mage), and either Dorn or Rasaad as the last member.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You can also try kivan or coran. Both good at ranged and good at melee and good. If you are not bound by alignment there are lots more options... shar teel, kagain, etc
  • JAuggieJAuggie Member Posts: 28
    In BG1 definitely agree with @iroumen on Kivan or Coran since ranged is king. Neera is awesome (my favorite NPC mage). Branwin is solid but Viconia (who serves the same function) is better due to MR. As for Isra not using ranged...give her axes or daggers and your problem is solved...ranged axes and daggers are both pretty sweet (my Kensai in BG2 uses daggers so he can use the poison throwing daggers and its working out great).
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Thanks for all the insight, guys. I think I'll try kivan out. Isra may have to wait until BG2, though.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Kivan is an early NPC, easy to get. Coran is better, probably one of (or the) best NPC in BG1 considering the effect of ranged vs everything else, but you get him later. You can metagame ofc and rush in and get him early.

My experience is; in BG1 you never need more than one mage and one tank. Two, three guys with bow/xbow/darts/daggers take care of 90% of the encounters with ease. Hell, even a mediocre bard (*cough Garrick cough*) with the army scythe will get more kills than a mediocre tank :P
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @GoodSteve, dude, thanks for all that info. I read the whole thing. I have played with Yeslick before, who is pretty awesome, but I haven't run through with Ajantis or Shar-teel. I really appreciate the advice. I will probably drop Kivan and go with Ajantis or Yeslick. Thanks again.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    @mashedtaters No problem.
  • pcurtj1974pcurtj1974 Member Posts: 6
    johntyl said:

I always dislike Khalid. Not only is he whiny, he is a mere average fighter at best: no special abilities, mediocre stats, low hp, etc.

You might wanna try Dorn or Rasaad: they are quite fun characters if you haven't tried them.

P.S. I just started a game using a MC half-elf fighter/thief too. Check out my post: http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/639463#Comment_639463

Thinking of having Jaheira, Neera, Branwen, Imonen (dual-class to mage), and either Dorn or Rasaad as the last member.

It's always funny to kill Khalid off in BG only to see his body in BGII.