Skip to content

New Player, few questions.

Hey guys, just got started playing BG:EE and am having a blast but I just wanted to make sure I am on the right path. Currently I am doing a lot of quick saving, pretty much every few minutes. Then I am suffering my share of party member deaths and having to reload. Is this normal for a beginner or do most people use a resurrect at the temples? Guess it really doesn't matter as long as I am having fun, but it somewhat feels like cheating death. Just wanted to see what the majority do.

Another question is on spell casting. I understand I need to memorize spells and then rest in order to cast them. My question is you only get one cast then must rest again? Seems like I am doing a lot of resting.

Thanks in advance
Az
WilburRavenslightBlackravenJuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I don't think I have ever resurrected a character any other way than loading a game and I have played BG and BG2 a lot. I've always loaded the previous save when a character has died. Yes, I'm weird. :)

You can only cast each memorized spell once (unless you're a sorcerer) like you thought so you'll have to rest fairly often in this game.
    RavenslightwubbleJuliusBorisovlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    If it feels to you somewhat like cheating death, then try not to load your save. Try to make it the first time you encounter the character's death. Then try to make it the second time. Then the third.

If you like what you will feel, you'll change your attitude towards managing this. If you don't like what you will feel, you'll return to quick-loading.

Just... try! It helped me a lot a way back when I stopped to get max HPs on every level up and went with the random HPs.
    kcwiseWilburlolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    :cookie: for you!
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • baby_bamfbaby_bamf Member Posts: 12
    I always load when someone dies. My pride wont let me do otherwise. I have had issues from only quicksaving And not properly saving.
    When it comes to constant quick saves I Find myslef messing up a when I get in the zone. I'll get throug A tough battle and and quicm save out of reflex only to find someone was level drained or petrified. Because I wasnt saving normally I'll have to go way back and do it again. It gets annoying so try and save normally often as well. Quick save is a wonderful thing.
    JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • DemonicDemonic Member Posts: 75
    To be honest, lad, there are those who reload (sucha as myself) because they like their group and they want to play the whole game with them (but to be fair, I usually stop reloading in BG2, when my cleric has ressurect, since it's easier to beat the fight with a few ressurections afterwards, than to try and fight it again and again).

And there are those who pride themselves in not realoading at all. Either way is completely fun, the only think that matters is fun. Do whatever is fun for you :)

Oh, and, I almost forget to give you the :cookie:, so here ya go!
    JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    You can also vary the difficulty level. No harm in trying the game out on the easy setting.
    kcwise
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Well, for BG2 I am only forced to reload when Bhaalspawn dies X_X .
    But for IWDEE, well my first run though, I always reload whenever anyone dies ....
    Ultimately, don't feel bad in the first run in IWDEE if you keep having to reload, many of us went through that 1st run in much the same manner (it still bugs me though, which is why right now I am trying a solo no reload run and see if I can regain some of my lost "pride") T_T
    kcwise