Skip to content

What are some good Midieval Fantasy movies (like the BG series)

1235»

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Two films that immediately came to mind when I saw this thread but couldn't remember the names of (half a century of learning lots of 'stuff' does that to you) are:

Solomon Kane

Season of the Witch
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    LadyRhian said:

There is also the "Scourge of Worlds" Game/DVD

I could only find this review of it…

I actually own/have played Scourge of Worlds. It's...interesting.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    For anime, enjoyed Inuyasha, which does, in fact, eventually end. Its set in pseudo medieval Japan, and has a pleasing mix of atrociously annoying and really decent voice acting. I am a big fan of the creator of the series, though I imagine they aren't for everyone.

Anyone mention Seventh Son yet? Worth a watch, I think I ate 3lbs of peanuts while watching it... its in the vein of those questionable 80s fantasy movies some of see as a guilty pleasure, but many of the horrible problems they face are fixed by things like having good actors, and special effects that don't look like they are 40-50 years old. Good movie to have with a 6 pack probably, or if you're me, a bottle of sherry. ;)
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited June 2015
    DreadKhan said:

For anime, enjoyed Inuyasha, which does, in fact, eventually end. Its set in pseudo medieval Japan, and has a pleasing mix of atrociously annoying and really decent voice acting. I am a big fan of the creator of the series, though I imagine they aren't for everyone.

Anyone mention Seventh Son yet? Worth a watch, I think I ate 3lbs of peanuts while watching it... its in the vein of those questionable 80s fantasy movies some of see as a guilty pleasure, but many of the horrible problems they face are fixed by things like having good actors, and special effects that don't look like they are 40-50 years old. Good movie to have with a 6 pack probably, or if you're me, a bottle of sherry. ;)

I'm currently watching Inuyasha with my best friend IRL. It's super nostalgic since we haven't seen it in ages. I was actually going to make a post earlier suggesting it but forgot to.

Main party is basically

Inuyasha=Teifling Fighter
    Kagome=Human Bow Cleric
    Miroku=Human Monk
    Sango= Human Ranger with Demon as favored enemy and a giant demon cat as an animal companion.

It could be fun to make a party based around them in an RPG at some point.

Edit: Currently on episode like 162 out of 167. It also has a "Final Act" which is 26-ish episodes that finishes off the series.

Also, Shippou is like a little adorable fox demon illusionist.
    DreadKhan
    Inuyasha is a full Half-fiend, or Cambion mind you, claw attack and all. ;) You could make Miroku a favoured soul, he's pretty charismatic, or even some kind of bard lacking a song.

I loved the well done bit characters in the various Rumiko animes, from the interesting villains to the various frenemies, Sesshomaro, Miyoga, Totosai, etc. Really, its those secondaries that make the show special.

The Final Act stuff was really good, but a bit 'power creep' dominated. Didn't think the show would ever have an ending back in the day, was happy it not only did, it ended very well. Watching all episodes of Inuyasha is a bit of a journey... hope you had a comfy chair! I'd watch the other two big Rumiko animes if you liked Inuyasha... Everyone has seen some Ranma 1/2, not as many Those Obnoxious Aliens (Urusei Yatsura), both are very entertaining.
    Vallmyr
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    DreadKhan said:

Inuyasha is a full Half-fiend, or Cambion mind you, claw attack and all. ;) You could make Miroku a favoured soul, he's pretty charismatic, or even some kind of bard lacking a song.

I loved the well done bit characters in the various Rumiko animes, from the interesting villains to the various frenemies, Sesshomaro, Miyoga, Totosai, etc. Really, its those secondaries that make the show special.

The Final Act stuff was really good, but a bit 'power creep' dominated. Didn't think the show would ever have an ending back in the day, was happy it not only did, it ended very well. Watching all episodes of Inuyasha is a bit of a journey... hope you had a comfy chair! I'd watch the other two big Rumiko animes if you liked Inuyasha... Everyone has seen some Ranma 1/2, not as many Those Obnoxious Aliens (Urusei Yatsura), both are very entertaining.

Sesshomaru is the best character ever. I love his dub voice hardcore. Naraku and he both sound super sexy.
    Sesshy has many, many fans... I like his aristocratic demeanor, really an overly noble demon. His powers are pretty cool tool.

But still, Totosai is complete gold, and Miyoga almost as good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    AnduinjustfeelinathomeGozeta
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    You dropped a spoiler! Sort of...

I NOW KNOW... IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY NOSE ALL ALONG!

What this information means however and how it effects the story is unknown...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    It's basically a blend of BG/Fantasy and elements of the Monster Hunter Series, which is so popular in Japan, that everyone wants a piece of the cake. :smile:

Also, because anime is everywhere and it has not come up: Princess Monoke is definitely a must. It's the most medievalish (I say -ish because it's set in Japan) movie by the mastermind Hayao Miyazaki. It even has Gods vs Mortals in it and is at times surprisingly gruesome, when it comes to violence. The action-sequences are on spot and the story is as well. Also, it has one of the best OSTs to boost the entire package. But who am I telling anyway? Miyazaki is not a hidden gem, by any measure.

Also, there's a Warcraft movie coming out on June 10th. It is high fantasy, but a whole different breed than BG. Might be worth checking out, though I still don't know what to make of it...

NonnahswriterFinneousPJ