Skip to content

Distant Worlds Universe

ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
Hey folks.

Just wanted to spread the word about this for anyone who is interested. The latest expansion for the 4x space strategy game Distant Worlds, Universe, has been released and even better its been released as a bundle with all the prior expansions and base game on steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/

It isn't the prettiest game, and it looks REALLY complicated, but honestly its a really great 4x game. Worth buying.
JuliusBorisovpiorgoselminster

Comments

• ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    No one interested? Lol.
  • piorgospiorgos Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2014
    @ScotGaymer it were years I was searching for a game like this...a real heir to Civilization, then last week I found this incredible game.
    Post edited by piorgos on
    JuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    No time for complex games right now... but added to my list :)
    piorgos
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    Pretty hefty pricetag. I would have preferred the option to buy the base game on Steam and then the expansions as well.
    CrevsDaak
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Great game. Best 4x space game I've played since MoO2. Highly recommended!
    JuliusBorisovpiorgos
    I know I am necroing here but I thought it better to post here than start a new thread.

Distant Worlds is once again on sale - 50% off. If anyone is interested now might be a good time to pick it up.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Even half price it still seems kind of pricy compared to similar games available on Steam.
    Considering your getting the "largest" 4x space game ever created, and it's four expansions? I gotta disagree with that.
    Why would I want to pay for four expansions before I know if I like the basic game or not?
    edited May 2015
    No one's forcing you to do anything dude. lol.

But for the record you can play the "base" game even while owning all the expansions. When you start the game you can pick to play in the "classic era" with only the base game, or the "eras" involving the expansions.

EDIT:
    Also it's no longer on sale. :(
    I think you missed the word "pay". Not "play".
    I don't get why you're being like that dude. No one's forcing you to do anything. If it's too expensive (even on sale) for your tastes then don't buy it.
    It's no skin off my (or anyone else's) nose.

I only posted to let ppl know about the sale because I think it's a neat little game. And while I agree that it's a little pricey at base price (was worse before it was all bundled on steam to be honest - codeforce kinda suck at pricing things realistically) - I do not agree that it wasn't worth it at 50% off.

As to your point about knowing wether you'd like the base game...

You must never buy anything new or first hand. Ever.

Because as with most things, you won't know you like it for sure unless you try it, and that requires forking out. All you can do prior to buying the thing is look at it, look at the reviews, and decide if it sounds like your thing or not and if your willing to pay the cost for it.
    You are obviously not. And that's fine.

You do not have to be so... rude about it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think the new Steam refund policy helps when it comes to purchases like this. You can buy a game, play it for an hour or an hour and a half, and then pitch it if you don't end up liking it.
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseScotGaymer
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited June 2015
    Please people refrain from personal attacks in the forum. Everyone is free to have an opinion and express it as long as it's not against the forum rules. Everyone is also free to agree or disagree.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to read the site rules.
    My criticism was not of the game, but of the price pointing. It would probably shift more copies (if the basic game is good) by selling it more cheeply without the expansions. If people like it the would by the expansions anyway.