Skip to content

Windows 64 Bit stable version

GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
edited August 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Will there be a specific 64 bit version?

Most 32 bit games run a bit unstable on windows 7 64 (more crash...), so I was wondering.

Comments

• Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    That shouldn't happen. I think the problems you are having are caused by something different.

As for your question, they haven't said anything about a 64-bit version as far as I know, and since it probably can't make use of over 4 GB of RAM, there's not much of a point in making it.

I use Windows 7 64-bit, and I don't have any special problems because of that. Frequent crashes can be caused by many reasons. One of the most common is hard drive fragmentation, so you might want to defragment your hard drive(s). Other than that you might want to update your drivers, clean your registry with programs like CCleaner, and uninstall or disable useless programs that run in the background.
    SowingSadnessDogmatix
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    Doom972 said:

That shouldn't happen. I think the problems you are having are caused by something different.

As for your question, they haven't said anything about a 64-bit version as far as I know, and since it probably can't make use of over 4 GB of RAM, there's not much of a point in making it.

I use Windows 7 64-bit, and I don't have any special problems because of that. Frequent crashes can be caused by many reasons. One of the most common is hard drive fragmentation, so you might want to defragment your hard drive(s). Other than that you might want to update your drivers, clean your registry with programs like CCleaner, and uninstall or disable useless programs that run in the background.

well yeah, still I think 64 bit has some stability issue with 32 bit only application. After a while playing on several 64 bit system, I found out that they had some issues.

But if no 64 bit are planned then too bad. Crash aren't often enough to be game-breaking so it will be ok.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I´ve been playing some quite old games on a 64bit windows system and never had a crash for it. The crashes I get are usually driver related.
    Redcloak
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    hmm maybe. I should check them.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Yeah, I've been playing a heavily-modded Baldur's Gate on 64-bit Windows 7 for a couple of years now. I had an install issue originally with my BG+TotSC discs (had to install under safe mode, and run under compatibility) but haven't had any trouble with the GOG digital download versions. They install and run like a dream.

I expect something similar with BG:EE--better, actually. :)
    SowingSadness
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    zarffyn said:

Yeah, I've been playing a heavily-modded Baldur's Gate on 64-bit Windows 7 for a couple of years now. I had an install issue originally with my BG+TotSC discs (had to install under safe mode, and run under compatibility) but haven't had any trouble with the GOG digital download versions. They install and run like a dream.

I expect something similar with BG:EE--better, actually. :)

It's supposed to be like BGTUTU, only with a more polished code, so it should run flawlessly on most systems.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012

Most 32 bit games run a bit unstable on windows 7 64 (more crash...), so I was wondering.

That's absolutely not true. Maybe older games but absolutely not with modern games. BG:EE is being recoded to be modern Win32 code (completely modern and compatible with x86-64) rather than the Windows 95 code it was built on.

Drow_ArrowSowingSadness
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    I have only seen about 4 games that did not work correctly with my 64 bit system, and all but one of those played fine in compatibility mode.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I've never had any unstable game on x64.
  • it's only unstable if your playing an old game that can't handle a quad core. anything that's been configured for newer gen games to work both win7-8 and 32-64 bit games as well as take advantage of quad+ processors.

i've even ran across games that said; "doesn't support 32-bit os."
    edited September 2012

it's only unstable if your playing an old game that can't handle a quad core.

I wouldn't say that. An older single threaded game will only use 1 core of a quad-core processor anyways, so the amount of cores in the cpu is irrelevant, however the speed of the core being used is still very important.

An example is if you have two cpu's of exact architecture, one being a dual-core and one being quad-core, if the dual-core chip is faster, then in theory it will run single threaded games faster. For this reason, when quad-core CPU's first started shipping they could often lead to lower performance than their faster dual-core counterparts, due to games not being multi-threaded. This has not been the case for 5-6 years though as mostly all games released since 2006/7 are multi-core friendly.

The only time I've known the CPU core count to have a compatibility concern is when AMD first started shipping Athlon x2 CPU's in the early days of Windows XP. AMD had to release a 'CPU Optimizer' patch for XP that assisted games to run better on a multi-processor system.

Redcloak
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    AMD had to release a patch to make it run Windows correctly as well...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

The only time I've known the CPU core count to have a compatibility concern is when AMD first started shipping Athlon x2 CPU's in the early days of Windows XP. AMD had to release a 'CPU Optimizer' patch for XP that assisted games to run better on a multi-processor system.

Fallout 3 would crash incessantly if you tried to run it on a quad core. Dual cores were fine though, and the solution was an .ini tweak that limited the game to running on two cores.

Jalily said:

Fallout 3 would crash incessantly if you tried to run it on a quad core. Dual cores were fine though, and the solution was an .ini tweak that limited the game to running on two cores.

Not to get to far off-topic or out-of-scope, but supposedly that was a bug introduced by patch 1.1. Anyways, Bethesda has a track record of shipping buggy games.
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    I own a 64 OS System this is just my option if you making a game please make it compatible with both X86 &64 bit thanks....

As for x86 Version of Windows 7 there is a patch that allows you to exited over 4GB Ram and go up too 128GB Ram with x86 I tested it out actally it works.

Link: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/make-windows-7-and-vista-32-bit-x86-support-more-than-4gb-memory/

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @GueulEclator I'm not sure if there is going to be a 64 bit version of the game, but I'm currently beta testing on windows 7 64 bit and it has been very stable.
    bigdogchrisRedcloak