Skip to content

Confirming Companions That Will Kill Each Other

Okay,

So, I'm a huge Baldur's Gate fan going back to when it only came on disc. I've started playing BGEE again on the iPad and for role playing purposes I'm deliberately partnering companions that kill each other into my party with the hope that they, well…kill each other. I've done a little research into it and I tracked down some helpful information. First piece of info was from a discussion in 2012 about companions killing each other that outlined the following information:

"Shar-Teel with Eldoth
Jaheira&Khalid with Xzar&Montaron
Ajantis with Dorn
Minsc and/or Dynaheir with Edwin
Jaheira with Faldorn
Ajantis with Shar-Teel

And I'm not sure about:
Tiax with Quayle
Yeslick with Kagain
The reason I am not sure about them is because I have heard they come to blows but I have never seen it, myself.

People like to say "don't mix Viconia and Kivan!" but those two just bicker, they never fight. (Probably because they secretly have the hots for one another) There are several other NPCs that also bicker and never fight. Stick away from pairing the NPCs I mentioned and you should be fine as far as inter-party conflict goes."

First, I would like to thank Quartz for sharing this information.

Second, I would like to say that I have personally seen Kivan and Viconia leave my party and fight to the death on at least two occasions (the first time I was aware this could even happen).

I collected another piece of useful information from a website called Sorcerer's Place listing the pairs that will come to blows AND percentage numbers assigned to specific chance of attack threads. That info boils down to this:

Ajantis vs. anyone evil (though you can call him off) (10%)
Dyanaheir vs. Edwin (100%)
Eldoth vs. Shar-Teel (33%)
Jaheira & Khalid vs. Montaron & Xzar (Jaheira & Montaron get on okay, though) (50%)
Kagain vs. Yeslick (29%)
Quayle vs. Tiax (33%)
Viconia vs. Kivan (0%)

http://sorcerers.net/Games/BG/bg_npc_conflicts.php

My questions are:

1. Are these numbers accurate? Is the Viconia vs. Kivan thread really so rare? I have seen them fight at least twice in BGEE, but I have yet to see Yeslick and Kagain even bicker.

2. Is there ANY way to prompt these conflicts to occur other than just waiting? Is it strictly random?

3. I read somewhere that Shar-Teel and Dorn will also fight. Does anyone have confirmation?

4. Can anyone else other than Quartz confirm the Jaheira vs. Faldorn conflict thread?

5. Finally, does anyone wanna help me out by listing which companions kill each other in BG2EE.

Thank you, everyone.
JustLeftQuartz

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    3. I ran Dorn and Shar-Teel on my first BGEE playthrough, and they did not fight. Given the random nature of the fights, I don't consider this conclusive evidence.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015

People like to say "don't mix Viconia and Kivan!" but those two just bicker, they never fight.

Ohh they fight alright.

SkatanJuliusBorisovbrunardo
  • peterdfaziopeterdfazio Member Posts: 6
    Can you force-talk someone into fighting?
    Also, will
    Will a low charisma lead to more bickering and fighting?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

Will a low charisma lead to more bickering and fighting?

Yes.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited May 2015

People like to say "don't mix Viconia and Kivan!" but those two just bicker, they never fight.

As elminster pointed out, they do fight - also see this thread here:
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34947/so-i-just-killed-kivan-to-save-viconia/p1

IIRC, though, the original game may have been bugged so that the argument that led to their fighting wouldn't play out in its entirety.

JuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    IIRC:

1. No idea if those numbers are made up statistics or not

2. CTRL+ I with cheats on forces combos. Having the conflicting NPCs stand very close together is the best way to start dialogs in BG.

3 and 4. No clue.
    JuliusBorisov
    Brilliant. Thank you deltago and SGMH. That answers two very important questions.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2015
    It could be helpful to look at http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/11692/list-of-npc-interactions-banters - from the banters you see which characters conflict. For example, the dialogue @elminster posted as a screenshot, is fully given in that thread.

Another source is http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished/p1
    Cool! Thanks a lot.
    JuliusBorisov
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited June 2015
    I see my past misinformation is still haunting me. Ahh well.

For the record, I've run Viconia and Kivan in the same party at least a dozen times and they've never fought. Pays off to run CHARNAMEs that don't have a 5 Charisma, I suppose.

Not that I'm making excuses for my failure to gather accurate information. @elminster knows the game like the back of his hand so he's probably got the best information.

I still think Kivan and Viconia secretly have the hots for each other, mind you.
    elminster
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    With one of my evil Half Orc Fighters, I ran a party of Main Character, Kagain, Dorn, Shar-Teel, Edwin, and a few other characters give or take for the sixth spot. None of those characters ever fought each other and seemed to contain mainly the ordinary sort of chatter. So from my own experience, Dorn and Shar-Teel weren't ever at each others' throats to fight.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Was that with the current (v1.3) patch, @thelovebat, or are you talking about a while ago? I believe it was fixed in the patch that Dorn and Shar-Teel will now come to blows (as intended) if they're kept together for a while, which didn't work in earlier versions.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218

Was that with the current (v1.3) patch, @thelovebat, or are you talking about a while ago? I believe it was fixed in the patch that Dorn and Shar-Teel will now come to blows (as intended) if they're kept together for a while, which didn't work in earlier versions.

I've played with the party and the 1.3 patch and hadn't experienced it yet. Though I did first start that character before the 1.3 patch.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I've played with the party and the 1.3 patch and hadn't experienced it yet. Though I did first start that character before the 1.3 patch.

That might explain it. Some patches don't fix a game already in progress, only new games.

In the case of patches affecting NPCs, it's often the case that the patch will fix a game already in progress if you haven't yet met the relevant NPC, but won't work if your protagonist has already met that character. You might not yet have met Shar-Teel when you updated with the patch, but you'll very likely have met Dorn pretty early in the game, so that might have prevented the fix applying during that run. (But it'll work as intended when you start a new game.)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Ajantis can potentially go off on any evil NPC (except Baeloth, unless that was changed). I had him attack Edwin, Kagain and Xzar on different occassions.
    Quartz