Skip to content

Bard Spell Progression

Why bards in BG don't get 7th and 8th level spells like the bards in Icewind Dale? I'm going to play a bard charname next and I'm tempted to install that Rogue Rebalanced component that gives them 7th and 8th spells, but only if it's appropriate.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    IWD and Rogue Rebalancing use the bard spell table from the "Dungeon Master's Option: High-Level Campaigns" supplement by Skip Williams, which gives bards access to 7th and 8th level spells at high level (standard 2nd edition AD&D tops out at 20th level).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Bards in Baldur's Gate 2 get access to Higher Level Abilities. Between Epic Bard Song, Spike Traps, and Use Any Item its hard to argue they need extra at higher levels :)
    KidCarnivalGreenWarlockJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Mage spell progression is also badly nerfed. According to pnp, mages should have a lot more spells at higher levels.
    But in bg2, there are very powerful HLA spells and abilities, unlike pnp. So I think the devs used this nerf to balance things out a bit.
    BG2 tweaks have unnerfed spell progression tables, IIRC. Or was it another mod?
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Thief HLA's on bards is so stupidly strong, on Blades especially. Time Stop trap into Offensive Spin into smacking whatever in the face for max damage for 10 seconds is just ridiculous and the most OP thing is they stack, if you drop 5 time stop traps on top of each other they will go off one after another.
    So with HLA's being so very silly, I don't really think they need spell levels 7 and 8.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @SmilingSword My FT-multi kills dragons with Time Trap + GWW + Angurvadal & Scarlet Ninja-To. It's just ridiculously strong.