Skip to content

What do we actually know about Daer'Ragh?

I'm pretty sure everyone who crossed his road in BG1 remembers his meeting, as it was particularly... hot I guess is the word. He is described as a level 9 mage, and he does not appear anywhere else in FR lore. However there are a few spells named after him, three of them to be accurate, that you can find in Shadow Keeper
There are many such spells, particular to this or that character you cannot control, but they usually are not given a description, while these spells have a description.
There are three of them. One is mostly forgettable, it add slight physical bonuses, not so useful, but the two others are just the most powerful spells in the game:
Daer'Ragh Aura Cleansing: a short-cast-time level 4 longer-lasting improved alacrity
Daer'Ragh Mental Agility: reduces cast time by 5 ( with vecna and amulet of power that s instant cast for every single spell in the game)
These are incredibly strong, even on a level 9 mage (he may simply rain down his 4 magic missile and 3 fireball instantly), which is what led the creation of that topic:
Is there anything else to know about Daer'Ragh? He could potentially be the most powerful mage in Faerun if he got another 10-12 level simply thanks to these spells (if he is the only one able to cast them). So why do we not hear of him even a little more, considering he is from Nashkel which is quite close to Amn. He was so cryptical in BG1 and his story was not pushed further in BG2, that s really frustrating
booinyoureyes

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Interesting enough he doesn't appear to use any of them himself (or have them memorized). Probably because he'd be insanely powerful if he did :D
  • WesleyWesley Member Posts: 55
    I'm pretty sure this is a dev from the original team that made Baldurs Gate. Everyone else in the graveyard is, and they may have given themselves non-canon powers.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Watch the end-BG2 credits - Mark Darrah was one of Bioware's programmers. It was confirmed (somewhere, sometime, I forget precisely) that Daer'Ragh is named after him.
    elminsterNifftJuliusBorisov
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @Wesley @Gallowglass I read about that once a long time ago but still Daer'Ragh is pretty unique since only he gets that interaction as well as this little background and these spells named after him. Is there a BG1/BG2 mod that develop interaction with Daer'Ragh?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I've never heard of any mod which expands the story of Daer'Ragh, but I don't keep close track of what modders are doing.

I agree that it sounds very much as if there was once intended to have been more to Daer'Ragh's story, so I guess it'd have been a natural component for the "Unfinished Business" mod, but perhaps there weren't enough fragments and clues left behind for the original concept to be reconstructed.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    Someone should make a Daer'Ragh NPC mod (even just for BG2). :)

Unfortunately though there were no hidden or unused files regarding him (apart from the spells anyways).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    BG1 Romantic Encounters introduces extremely intense encounter with Daer'Ragh IIRC. Guy's hot in many ways, I guess:)
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Cahir said:

BG1 Romantic Encounters introduces extremely intense encounter with Daer'Ragh IIRC. Guy's hot in many ways, I guess:)

Mmh I could not figure out what was the "Daer'Ragh Physical Agility" spell, I guess I understand now
    Blucher
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    His Lance of Disruption can really screw you over.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Nimran said:

His Lance of Disruption can really screw you over.

His Magic Missile penetrated her Protection from... awww heck! See what you've done?
    JuliusBorisov