Skip to content

Is there a list of the best weapons in the game?

2»

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

What, I need a reason for dealing ludicrous damage instead of merely ridiculous damage? PREPOSTEROUS!

There isn't a huge disparity between kensage and kencler everything considered.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    In terms of damage output? In IWD? I admit I don't know this game like I know BG2 but that just doesn't seem likely... Maybe if you have no other source of IH I guess?

In terms of damage output? In IWD? I admit I don't know this game like I know BG2 but that just doesn't seem likely... Maybe if you have no other source of IH I guess?

In absolute terms the kencler has 25 strength and maximum damage which translates into +7 damage compared to 19 strength and +3 damage from max damage if using a flail outside of Kai compared to Tensers which gives +2 and having max damage during Kai already. Sure, kencler had higher base damage but the kensage is able to cast IH, Hope and Courage while the Kencler has to rely on others for these crucial buffs.

The kensage has Mordenkainens Sword and BBoD to raise fair as well.
    I'll think about that. Usually I've just left the buffing to my bard, but as I already mentioned several times I don't play a lot of IWD (until we get TTT anyway) so I'll trust people with more experience like yourself.

I'll think about that. Usually I've just left the buffing to my bard, but as I already mentioned several times I don't play a lot of IWD (until we get TTT anyway) so I'll trust people with more experience like yourself.

Is TTT actually a thing or just wishful thinking?
    At this point, just wishful thinking I'm afraid. I'm not aware of anyone actually actively working on it, but I sort of believe that if I mention it enough it'll somehow come true...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Lord_Tansheron In a way I'd be interested in making an AI mod, but the scripting language in IE is so primitive it's putting me off lol

@Lord_Tansheron In a way I'd be interested in making an AI mod, but the scripting language in IE is so primitive it's putting me off lol

Hasn't @davidw done a lot of the hard work already?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In vanilla there was a +3 great sword named Chaos or something that inflicted stacking disease damage for 1 HP per second and offered no save. You could hit an enemy once, and unless it was immune to disease, you could just walk away until it died.

It was a random drop, I think. If EE has it, I'm sure it'd be the best damage dealer in the game, except against undead.

If EE has it, I'm sure it'd be the best damage dealer in the game, except against undead.

I doubt it would be a good weapon. It is trivial to do more damage than 1 damage/sec, heck you can even get over 1 attack/sec with IH.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah but 1hp/second every time you hit is gonna add up. If an enemy takes 12 seconds of you attacking it to die, 1hp/second is roughly equivalent to +6 damage per hit. Obviously it's less powerful against enemies that die more quickly, but it's much more powerful against enemies that last longer (roughly +1 damage per 2 seconds of kill time). It's worse if you dogpile your whole party on the same enemy (because this reduces kill time), and better if you go around tagging lots of enemies once or twice (because this drastically increases kill time for many enemies). So not only is 1hp/second going to be a significant boost compared to almost all other weapon powers, it's going to produce some rather interesting effects on the optimal combat strategies.
    If the effect actually stacks with itself, then it's worth considering. However, I highly doubt that it does. It's more likely that the most recent application simply overwrite the existing one, at least that is what I would expect.

Perhaps there is someone with more engine knowledge who can tell us how it really works.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    semiticgod specified that it stacked. I haven't seen the weapon in question, so I can't speak from experience. I was just commenting on the weapon as it was specified here. But there are a good number of stacking damage over time effects in the IE games, so it wouldn't surprise me.
    I would not rule out the possibility of infinite stacking, but I'd like some confirmation. It would in any case be pretty much a HoF-only consideration, and even there would have to be mathed out some to see if it's actually worth it.
    There is room to have one two handed sword wielder and still max out APR via GM, kensei 9, tensers and the ring of reckless action.
    Looking through both DSimpsons and Haeravons faqs doesn't give any hints as to the existence of this item though so the discussion seems largely moot.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wowo: Figures. The item file itself might still exist, but if it's not in the FAQs, it's probably not available in-game. A mod could reintroduce it, but it would admittedly be stupidly game-breaking.

@Lord_Tansheron: Disease effects definitely stack in vanilla (Contagion could kill via stat drain!), but it wouldn't surprise me if EE stopped that.