Skip to content

LA LA LA bamba

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
So I'm planning my second play through, but this time I want to escape my comfort zone, so this time my charname will be avoiding arcane classes completely so I need some recommendation and tips on playing a melee physical character. I don't normally play warriors because ibtens to find them boring. I normally just toss the best armor on my meatshield and spend 90% of my time on my arcane characters or just watching the massacre.

Chances are I'm more then likely going to end up playing a thief or Archer class. Maybe even a monk, but what are some ways to make warriors feel more fun?

Note, in not sure if I'll be starting from BG 1 this time.

If there is no real way, then I might just do a duo run. Jaheira and Sorcerer/ general mage charname.
SmilingSwordJuliusBorisov

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited July 2015
    Your title made me sing that song in my head, then I remembered that movie, now I'm sad.

I agree with you fighters are boring. So if you want a thief toon who can fight go swashy, they end up doing the same maybe even more dmg than standard fighters end game, they also get whirlwind. Assassin is super fun, strong early game because of poison weapon, strong mid game because of backstab mulitipler, strong end game because of spike trap. Fighter/thief is always good, great allrounder who frees up a slot for something else in your party.

Archer are so OP, go shortbow if you do one. I personally prefer stalkers, a dmg focused fighter/thief without the level spit plus some arcane spells, but lacks all other thief skills besides stealth.

Monks are so bad early and by early i mean till lvl 15 so if your a masochist go monk. They are scary strong end game, but the whole of BG1 will suck for you. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, they can be kind of ok at like lvl 13, maybe even lvl 9.

Oh crap I didn't read the post properly, to make warriors more fun is simple. Either use them as a base and dual out of fighter into something cool or multiclass or play a warrior kit, as already stated stalker is a lot of fun, inquisitor is amazing, I like both these classes because they are warriors that do more than buff and then hit things, the rest are kinda boring.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I'm kind of a purist when it comes to somethings, meaning I don't like to multiclass or duel class. I tend to stick to one class and push it through.

When it comes to thief, I get iffy about its kits. Some of the block out some of the other abilities which is why I am picky about it.
    SmilingSword
    Ok, but which abilities are you picky about?

A swashy is a single class fighter/thief that can't backstab. They lose abilities yes, but gain replacements.

A assassin is a glass cannon, because he is a thief that has to get into the melee to deal dmg, yes you get him out as soon as the first blow has landed, but he still to be there.

A bounty is amazing utility, the fact he can throw traps is ridiculous, you can just throw them into the fog of war to start a fight or at pursuing enemies that are out of sight.

They all lose thief points, but that doesn't really matter as you get more that enough anyway.

Personally I like all the thief kits over the vallina thief.

The only one that loses an ability is the swashy and whirlwind is a good replacement. Not as fun, but still good.

But if you where thinking of a fun fighter, but leaning towards playing thief, I still say go stalker. Stalker is good all the way through the saga, swashy gets stronger at the end, but the lack of backstabs is annoying.
    Also you favor your casters so having a few arcane spells and the druid spells rangers get later on should make for a more interesting game than playing a normal fighter class.
    I was going towards thief if there wasn't a way to make fighters more fun and interactive. With the thief there's more management required, and position which is why it was my second choice. I wouldn't want to lose the backstab. I was also planning to avoid all arcane abilities when it came to charname, so if I went ranger, I would completely forget it had them.
    SmilingSword
    Well a archer is a ranged kensai, have you considered a barb? Not the strongest class, but they have the zerker buff and also other random passive abilities. If you want to avoid arcane spells ranger is still cool cause their spells are divine, or do you mean all spells? If it's all spells then a thief kit is the way to go. Shadow dancer is a mirco mission but really very good, also they have a bunch of class specific abilities and lose traps. I like assassin personally.
    edited July 2015
    Yea, I did mean all spells. Also I'm not a large Barb fan and blame Minsc for that, one too many times has he killed Neera and the wingless elf on my Sorcerer play through thanks to berserk. More on enemies right in front of him, but he turned around and chooses to focus his teammates instead, and people choose to hate the thought wildmage.

Edit, but you have brought something to my attention, I never play divine characters. I might have to change that.
    SmilingSword
    Cool, everybody will tell you to roll a cleric, but I say nah roll a druid, 2 out of the 3 kits are great off the bat and 3 out of the 3 kits are great if your playing SCS and installed the rebalanced shifter bit.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    I'm like you that I usually play mages, thieves and clerics and find fighters boring but the way to get into the 2nd ed warrior is like the weapons choices. A dual wielding axe fighter can be fun -- ice axe, fire axe to be replaced by vorpal axe. And paladins have the ability to change combat on the front lines and they my favorite of the warriors.

Front line clerics are more fun than you would guess. If you play mages like I do -- fighters in front everyone else in back, chances are you never think to use the spells that allow the cleric to perform on the front lines -- check of the spells that allow the cleric to become a warrior and then switch back to a spell caster. Going from 'melee mode' to 'strategy mode' can be fun.

Cool, everybody will tell you to roll a cleric, but I say nah roll a druid, 2 out of the 3 kits are great off the bat and 3 out of the 3 kits are great if your playing SCS and installed the rebalanced shifter bit.

I do want to mess around with the werewolf forms...

No I'm not using mods at all, well except maybe the XP cap removal but I don't even know if I did that one right, what is the highest you can reach as a mage in bg2 SoA, I imported a level 27 wild mage and its level 28 now, but I don't even know what the cap is/was. Now I'm debating whether or not to reply that black pits all over again this time with a Sorcerer and see if I can solo it... Or just play it with a Sorcerer. Maybe this time I can get my team some decent armor instead of consuming every scroll I see :lol:

I'm like you that I usually play mages, thieves and clerics and find fighters boring but the way to get into the 2nd ed warrior is like the weapons choices. A dual wielding axe fighter can be fun -- ice axe, fire axe to be replaced by vorpal axe. And paladins have the ability to change combat on the front lines and they my favorite of the warriors.

Front line clerics are more fun than you would guess. If you play mages like I do -- fighters in front everyone else in back, chances are you never think to use the spells that allow the cleric to perform on the front lines -- check of the spells that allow the cleric to become a warrior and then switch back to a spell caster. Going from 'melee mode' to 'strategy mode' can be fun.

I've always had this thing about putting clerics in the front line... I just do it. I always used Viconia as a Off tank despite her lo constitution, but I've never really played with paladins, even the NPC ones.
    SmilingSword
    edited July 2015
    Pallies are stronk, especially Keldorn. That guy has the best kit for SoA and can wield the Holy Avenger, whose true name I cannot spell to save my life. Give him one of the many str belts and the gauntlets of dex and he is a monster, who kills all the mages. The sword applies a lvl 30 dispel on hit if I'm not mistaken and that is huge. I'm pretty sure the dispel he casts isn't tied to his lvl either which is really unfair. He also has true sight, which is nice because your cleric doesn't have to waste a spell slot on it.

Oh I heartily recommend SCS it's the best thing to ever happen to the series besides the NPC project.

But really if your playing BG1 again install the NPC project it's a huge banter pack and adds so very much to the game. I now actually care that Khalid dies in BG2.
    Post edited by SmilingSword on
    Banter you say, now you have my interest good sir. I've been reluctant to replay bg1 because you feel so alone in the world, while walking around d with a group.

I've also been very cautious about mods, if I get up my game, I'm currently in a position where I can't just log into steam and reinstall it all silly nilly.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

I'm pretty sure the dispel he casts isn't tied to his lvl either which is really unfair.

Nope, not true. He casts it at twice his own level, so at lvl 16, he would cast a level 32 dispel. That's stronger than Carsomyr, and AoE to top it off. That's Inquisitor for ye.
    SmilingSword
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    I totally agree about the monks. I have never have such a hard time trying to make either charname, Rasaad or both alive in BG 1. That's a real challenge even in vanilla. But they turn into super fast powerhouses in late soa and tob.

I personally prefer to play pally. Better stronghold quests in soa and the carsomyr. In my opinion the best sword available.

You could also try a ranger. A fighter type with divine magic could make a fun type. Roleplayed as a guy who always felt the call of the wild being locked up in a library could be very interesting. Not really knowing what to do now you are alone in the wilderness learning by doing.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    What keeps me in the mood for a specific class is roleplaying a cool archetype, rather than just fighting. Here are some examples:

-Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral mercenary.
    -Lawful neutral Knight Type, perhaps a follower of some Lawful deity.

-Samurai or Kensai (Lawful, strikes to kill)
    -Brooding champion (Wields a huge weapon , like a 2h sword or halberd, and shiny armor, merciless)

-Fastest sword in the region (loves personal combat, has high dexterity and dual wields light weapons.
    -Archer type (not only rangers need to specialize, after all), wears light armor or chain mail.

Building an archetype that suits you is a nice to keep interested in a fighter for long.
    JuliusBorisov