Skip to content

Possible to switch Protagonist at beginning of TOB?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forums so I hope this is the right place.
Anyhow, tonight, for the first time, I finally beat BG:SOA. When I started my quest through the realm of Amn I figured that a druid would make a fun and entertaining choice as a PC. Having finally slagged my way through the base game I have decided that I am no longer happy with my PC but love the party and gear I have amassed over my travels. So I guess my question is, is there an easy way to switch out my PC while keeping my party and gear.

Thanks in Advance,
Scott

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Is your druid below 3 million XP?

Because druids get crazy powerful at 3 million XP, when they finally hit level 15. They're notoriously weak in mid- and late-game SoA, since they get stuck at level 13 and then 14, but by early ToB, they have a lot more spells than a cleric does. They actually get 6 spell slots per spell level, including level 7, all at once at level 15. It's by far the most dramatic change in power that any character ever experiences. If your druid is still level 14, then I strongly, strongly recommend you keep going--it'll be worth it, and it won't take long if you're in Throne of Bhaal. You can ignore the rest of this post if you do stick with your druid.

If you're already at 3 million XP, however, and you're still not impressed, it's not too complicated to move your equipment to a new PC. You can always just create a new game and cheat in your items, but this method takes a little less time and doesn't require the console:

First, export your main character (the button is on the Record screen), with all of the equipment you wish to transfer. Then create a new multiplayer game in Throne of Bhaal. Multiplayer lets you create multiple characters, all of your own design, rather than playing through with the normal NPCs.

On starting the new game, first, you should design the new character you want. Create it however you like (Fighter/Mages are very strong in Throne of Bhaal). Next, import your previous character. You should start up a new game in Throne of Bhaal with two characters: your old PC and your new PC. Move all the equipment you like from your old PC to your new one. If you want to continue in a multiplayer game, just kick the old PC out of the party and proceed as normal.

But I don't like multiplayer, since the pausing is finicky (is that fixed in EE?), so I would export your new character, then start a single-player game. Import your new character, and you will have a new single-player game, with your newly designed character, and all of your old equipment.

I don't believe Bags of Holding carry over when importing and exporting, so you'll have to do without them (don't worry; you can buy a new one early in Throne of Bhaal). If you have LOTS of equipment you want to keep, but don't have room, there's a way around it, but it's complicated and time-consuming. It would be much faster just to use the console to cheat in the items instead. If you want to cheat in a Bag of Holding, cheat in "BAG31." That's a bottomless bag with nothing in it; it's the most convenient option.

Unfortunately, starting a new single-player game, rather than continuing from Shadows of Amn, means that your allies won't be with you at the start of the game. You'll be alone. You can get them back after the first fight in Throne of Bhaal, but they'll have generic equipment instead of whatever you gave them before, and they probably will have less XP and the mages will have fewer spells than when you got out of SoA. Also, your main character won't have any of the bonuses or penalties you got in the Nine Hells (or anything you got from the Machine of Lum the Mad, but you'd have to be at level 15 at least to reach that point).
  • GrimehraGrimehra Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to progress through the game without breaking the 2.5M exp mark on most characters (my PC included). I always felt that was druid was a sort of Jack of all trades but master of none. He had priest spells, but so did Aerie. He could morph into a bear tank, which quickly became useless as Keldorn acquired decent gear. I guess I'll slug it out for awhile with the promise of an uber powerful druid post level 15.

Thanks again,
    Scott
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @semiticgod isn't joking, @Grimehra - once you hit level 15, your faith in your Druid will be rewarded. High-level Druids are very good casters, and (in particular) are the best Summoners in the game.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Plus they get HLA Elemental forms
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Note that @Curmudgeon's method allows you to play a multiplayer session without dealing with the pause issue.