Skip to content

Dragonspear Screenshot Analysis

shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
Two of the new NPCs: Corwin (second) and Glint (fourth)

And another two: Voghiln (from the Black Pits) and M'Khiin the goblin shaman (plus a new portrait for Viconia):

Baeloth, Edwin and Safana for Team Evil:

KamigoroshiGrumFinneousPJAedan_Luke_FlashburnStarflower2525NonnahswriterBelgarathMTHButtercheese[Deleted User]kaguanaDexterVasculiobooinyoureyesjackjackJuliusBorisovlolienJustLeftCrevsDaak

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Superb. Also I love the level range. It's pretty much optimal with this ruleset.
    [Deleted User]jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Viconia's new portrait looks really great, and the health bars are an interesting addition. Keen to see how this will turn out!
    CrevsDaakArcalianJuliusBorisov
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Looking good, but its really jarring to see the environments and colored circles look waayy better than the character sprites themselves.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    agris said:

Glint's portrait doesn't seem to fit in with all the others. I thought it was temp art when first revealed, but I guess it isn't. Anyone else think the portrait could use work? Part of it is the proportions. More so than the other portraits, you're getting more of his body, and it's a very posed position with his hands in his laps. I guess that adds to the feeling that this was a photograph that was drawn over.

edit: his/her corrections. This portrait is giving serious Pam vibes.

Totally agree. I was thinking it was just me. Glint's portrait is pretty bad.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Hmmm, I like Glint, he is my most anticipated character so far (he better be romancable, Beamdog).
    But yeah, his and Voghiln's portraits don't really fit the rest of the bunch, they remind me much more of Neverwinter Nights.

Super looking forward to the new portraits in general, the strong stylistic cuts between BG1 & 2 and the "lore incorrectnes" always annoyed me, so thumbs up on these regards!

Over all, from what I have seen so far, Dragonspear looks very promising, keep it up :D
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    So Baeloth will still be available for SoD? Excellent. I was wondering which of the new guys I was gonna have to replace him with.

Of course, I'll want to do one playthrough with those four at some point.....
    ButtercheeseVasculio
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    One thing I don't see in any of the new screenshots is Imoen - anyone know/speculate any reason(s) for that?
    Vasculio
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @SharGuidesMyHand she is in the trailer tho.
    VasculioJuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's worth noting that the portraits in the trailer form the BG2 canon party. I am speculating that they will have a role in the story even when they are not party members.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Fardragon: The devs have said that if you were to start SoD without importing, you'd have a canonical party based on your character's alignment. Based on the screenshots, it seems that the Good party includes Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid, while the Evil party consists of Dorn, Edwin, Baeloth, Viconia and Safana (presumably the Neutral party is some mix of these plus Neera and Rasaad).
    jackjack
    edited July 2015
    Sure. What I am suggesting is that even if you start with the evil party, Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid will still be part of the story. Hence why those portraits feature in the trailer, and why those are the guys who are with you at the beginning of BG2.

Given that Rasaad is LG, I don't see how he would be in the default neutral party. I also suspect there will be zero overlap of default staring parties.

My guess neutral party: Neera, Branwen, Faldorn, Garrick, Skie
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    edited July 2015

One thing I don't see in any of the new screenshots is Imoen - anyone know/speculate any reason(s) for that?

There was a bit shown during the twitch stream at 1h22m14s: http://www.twitch.tv/beamdog/v/7198879?t=1h22m14s

She seems to be off scouting out an old temple of Bhaal with some people from (what looks like) the Flaming Fist. So she might just be off doing her own thing during SoD, or this might be what she does when not in your party.
    JuliusBorisov
    Speaking as someone who always wanted Imoen to be the hero of her own story: I would be completely and totally okay with that. :)
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

Superb. Also I love the level range. It's pretty much optimal with this ruleset.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the level range?
    meagloth
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Wilbur said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the level range?
    Level cap is 12.
    Wilburmeagloth
    Does that mean that thieves/bards won't be able to go over level 12? I.e XP cap around 600,000?

Fardragon said:

Sure. What I am suggesting is that even if you start with the evil party, Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid will still be part of the story. Hence why those portraits feature in the trailer, and why those are the guys who are with you at the beginning of BG2.

Given that Rasaad is LG, I don't see how he would be in the default neutral party. I also suspect there will be zero overlap of default staring parties.

My guess neutral party: Neera, Branwen, Faldorn, Garrick, Skie

Khalid, Dorn, Jaheira, Safana, Neera. (you got one right).
    I would call that a mixed up party, not a neutral party.
    booinyoureyesExile
    Fardragon said:

I would call that a mixed up party, not a neutral party.

Seems accurate to me - Jaheira, Safana and Neera are all neutral, and Khalid goes with Jaheira. Dorn is the token Evil teammate (same role Viconia often plays in BG2).
    ButtercheeseQuartzjackjackJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    Jaheira is only neutral because 2nd edition rules require her to be. I would call a "neutral" party either a mercenary band or a team focused on balance. A bunch of harper agents doesn't fit either description.
    ButtercheesebooinyoureyesSionIV
    That's a True Neutral party. Chaotic Neutral and Lawful Neutral would have no interest in balance.
    None of those guys is lawful neutral. Its do-gooders + sociopaths.
    booinyoureyes