Skip to content

D&D stats for Elric of Melnibone and other Eternal Champion characters

What kind of stats a character like Elric would have in 2nd or 3rd edition D&D?

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There are stats for Elric and co in the first edition Deities and Demigods. I wish I could find my copy.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    There ya go. http://beyondtheblackgate.blogspot.it/2011/07/elric-deities-and-demigods.html I was talking about 2nd and 3rd edition though. I don't agree with the Chaotic Evil alignment though. Elric to me is more Neutral and Yyrkoon is Neutral Evil.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Here's from the 1976 / pre AD&D Gods, Demi-Gods and Heroes

(before the addition of the good - evil alignment axis)

Alignment: Chaos
    Magic Ability: 19th level
    Fighter Ability: 10th
    Psionic Ability: Class 5

Strength 9
    Intelligence 18
    Wisdom 17
    Constitution 8
    Dexterity 17
    Charisma 18

I would have put both his strength and constitution at a natural 6 because he can't even move in his armor once the potions and/or Stormbringer wear off. He is constantly worried that if he has gets rid of the sword or loses access to the herbs to make potions he will return to being a person who needs help walking from room to room.

Yyrkoon is listed as strength 16, wisdom 13, int 17 which seems mostly right but I'd put wisdom at 10 -- using the dragons to attack some petty raiders was a bad move. Pretty classic example of the high intelligence / low wisdom character.

Not sure about Corwin. Perhaps strength 15, Wisdom 16, int 17 ?

I'd put Elric wisdom at 10 or 11 due to some pretty stupid moments(like leaving Yyrkoon on the throne when he started his journey).
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    True.

Okay, you convinced me.

Although it's funny. When I first read the books I thought "dumbest move ever, why put the cousin who wants to unseat you on the throne"? That doesn't make any sense at all! He will never let you return. But, later, I got it -- he was hoping to find the answers he sought and then to settle down to a quiet life with Cymoril somewhere in the young kingdoms. Yyrkoon gets what he wants, Melnibone gets what it wants and Yyrkoon has no reason to work against Elric. And if Elric wasn't the champion eternal it might of worked.
    My stats for Elric would be:
    Str 6(16), Dex 17, Cos 6(16), Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 18.

2nd edition class: Fighter/Mage bi-class. 3rd Edition: 10 Fighter/18 Wizard. Pathfinder: Bladebound Magus. 5th Edition: Eldritch Knight.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I recall them publishing stats for him in the first Deities and Demigods… They also published stats for him in the "Gods, Demigods and Heroes" pamphlet that came out as a supplement for the "Three White Pamphlets" in a Box version of D&D that preceded the basic set. But that is one set I do not have, so I am not sure if they are the same or even close to the ones in Deities and Demigods.

And I have the CB Conan modules and RS1, Red Sonja Unchained, if anyone wants to know what stats they assigned to those characters as well. :)
    I don't agree with Elric being CE. Sure, he can be a big jerkass like your average melnibonean, but he does some heroic things sometimes and he genuielly cares about his allies and loved ones. Also i don't agree with him having an high wisdom score. There was a website called Inzeladun where the creator Vincent Darlage gave 3rd edition stats to Conan throughout his various stories. Sadly that website doesn't exist anymore.
    Elric is listed as having 8 levels in fighter and 20 in wizards in the Dragonlords of Melnibone manual.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It's a major theme in Elric's story that sentient swords can heavily influence the wielder, so Elric's alignment depends upon whether he's wielding Stormbringer. When he's in combat wielding Stormbringer, then for sure he's effectively Chaotic Evil because the sword takes over. When he's sitting at home, his natural inclination is Chaotic Neutral or even leaning towards True Neutral ... but that doesn't count for so much, because it's when he's in action that he makes a real difference in the world around him. So I don't think it's unreasonable to classify him as CE.
    I think Elric is a True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral who tries to be good but he's ultimately too stupid, too spineless or too influenced by Stormbringer to do it.