Skip to content

Is the max hp bonus due to constitution for thieves 2 hit points at start?

I have a thief with 18 con, yet it only says plus 2 hp per level. Imoen with 16 con gets the same. Is it only fighter types that get a bigger boost with higher constitution than that? I started the game on a higher difficulty than my previous character, so wondering if that might have made me have less hps btw.

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Yes, 2 is the max for non-warriors.
  • MrWakkaMrWakka Member Posts: 7
    In 2nd Edition only fighter types gain a +3 or +4 hp bonus from a high constitution.
  • VigilarkVigilark Member Posts: 50
    k. Thank you.
    edited July 2015
    Does the 18 in con help with saving throws for a thief? The tomb that increases con 1 point do anything? Thinking about relocating my points if not.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2015
    No. 20 Con will give your character regeneration.

EDIT: What @elminster said. :wink:
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    "Does the 18 in con help with saving throws for a thief? "

Yes but only if they are a dwarf, halfling, or gnome.
    well poo. Made a human. So what's the max benefit, 16 con for a human thief? I might dual as a fighter though in bg2.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    At 20 and above, you get regeneration, but yeah, that's it for hp/saving throw bonuses.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Yes, @Wowo has the right of it. The Claw of Kazgaroth is a seriously good piece of kit (even though it's a Cursed item), but has a -2 CON penalty while worn. Since your Thief has 2 "spare" CON points, he can wear the Claw with no effective penalty.

Also, the Claw is one of the few items which you can actually take with you into BG2ee, if you're planning to play through with the same character - you can take the Claw instead of the (default) Helm of Balduran. Sometimes I do this, when I have a character who can sensibly use it. In my last completed full-series run, this is exactly what I did: I deliberately built a (kitted) Thief who started with 17 CON, boosted to 18 with the Tome, then wore the Claw all the way to the end of BG2ee:ToB.

You can buy the Claw from Thalantyr at High Hedge.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    The claw is great item, it's especially good on Dorn as he already has pally bonus saves, and the half-orc has 14con so he is in the high end of no bonuses. I think it is 7 to 14 con that gives you squat in the bonus health department, any lower and you get penalties. so Shar-Teel 9con and Dorn 14con gain hp at the same average rate, depending on the randomness of rolls.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

The claw is great item, it's especially good on Dorn as he already has pally bonus saves, and the half-orc has 14con so he is in the high end of no bonuses. I think it is 7 to 14 con that gives you squat in the bonus health department, any lower and you get penalties. so Shar-Teel 9con and Dorn 14con gain hp at the same average rate, depending on the randomness of rolls.

@SmilingSword What save bonuses do paladins and blackguards get?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    +2 to all saves