Skip to content

Thank you for weapon set switching

I would like to thank the developers for implementing a solution to the ages-old irritation of having to un-equip an offhand item to switch to a two-handed weapon. (This was revealed in the developer QA session for SoD.) This has been the #1 feature I've looked for in every patch that was released for the original games and, more recently, every patch for the Enhanced Editions. This fix alone makes my investment in BG:EE and BG2:EE worth every penny.
deltagoSilverstarStarflower2525GrammarsaladJarrakulkaguana[Deleted User]GoodStevecmk24NimranBrer_Rabbitartificial_sunlightrorikonYupImMadBroAdsoQuartzbillbiscoIllustairmoody_mageSmilingSwordO_BruceButtercheesejackjackVakarianJuliusBorisovFlashburn

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I thought that they said that they are 'working on it' which I interpreted to mean "probably, but not definitely." I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong!
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Yeah as I understood from the Q&A, it's a feature they're working on ("Yes"), but isn't currently implemented.
    Avenger_teambg
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    KalindorQuartzKilivitz[Deleted User]
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    From the description given during the live stream it sounded like they want to add this in as such: Equipping a 2 handed weapon will auto unequip the off handed weapon and equipping an off handed weapon will auto unequip 2 handed weapons. i.e. get rid of the "you can't equip this weapon" message and reduce the number of clicks to change weapon types. I don't think they plan to add in full weapon set switching, but I could be wrong.
    FaydarkYupImMadBro[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • KalindorKalindor Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2015
    Either solution would be a fine addition. I would prefer full weapon set switching, but a few fewer clicks to accomplish the switch would be an improvement. They also said the UI will be moddable, so there is the possibility that the system would allow someone to mod such a weapon set solution if Beamdog does not add it.

I agree completely with subtledoctor's take on the style bonuses being somewhat unbalanced. It would be nice if we could assign .eff files for different fighting styles for full customizability, but that is for another topic.
    YupImMadBro[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

If it's dead simple to switch from missile weapons to dual-wielding, what possible reason would there ever be to invest in any style other than dual-wielding? SWS and 2HS need serious buffing, lest they become even more irrelevant than they already are.

There are four weapon styles! How about let's make them all interesting and useful, instead of making one massively powerful and the other three just afterthoughts.

While I certainly agree with you to an extent, I don't think single weapon style or two-handed weapon style are irrelevant at all. Perhaps single weapon style is pretty unappealing for Warrior types, but that seems pretty obvious.

Sword and Shield style suuuuuuuuucks though, seriously.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Anything that makes weapon switching more convenient I'm for. The cumbersome weapon swap system isn't a balance concern, it's an annoyance.
    QuartzJarrakulGallowglassJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    A lot of the styles are only unbalanced on munchkin characters with 18s in multiple stats. In a party with lower stats all of the other styles become much more interesting.
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    I don't think Dual-wield is really that unbalanced too when you're not using one of the off hands that give you an extra attack. It's only then things get really silly.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    gangler said:

Feel like Sword and Shield style is quite useful, though admittedly I've never played to the highest levels. It's just that the proficiency is a little bit lackluster. Like, even if you're using a sword/shield combo you might not necessarily feel the need to put any proficiency points towards it.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sword and board is a great approach, but it's almost never worth it to put those pips in.
    jackjack
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I've actually found it worthwhile to put points in Sword and Shield on a number of occasions. Never on single-classed fighters, of course, because they need the proficiency points for grandmastery, but on paladins and multiclassed fighters it's often worth it to get a point or two in Sword and Shield early. Makes a lot of the nastier encounters in BG1 much more survivable.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    If number 1 request is taking an official expansion to be implemented, then I'm pretty sure I can forget about mine ;p.

But, if it's going to be implemented in a way similar to IWDII, then it's going to be awesome :).