Skip to content

When should I take a trip with Hjollder?

Hey guys. I beat this game long before EE was a thing.

I recently picked the game back up, and I'm doing a HoF mode/insane difficulty solo run.

I'm going with a F/M/C. Have lots of fun so far too.

Anyway, I've just cleared level 1 of Dragons Eye. I'm at levels 10/11/11 (and pretty close to 11/12/11). When should I leave with Hjollder? I don't want to miss anything, and I also want to make sure I do everything I can in the game.

Thanks!!

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You may travel with him at any time before you wind up using those badges you find here and there. Since you are soloing an F/M/C I would wait until you were 14/14/14, though, to take advantage of 7th-level spells.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Be warned that if you start Trials of the Luremaster from Heart of Winter after using Hjollder, you will be stuck there for a very long, hard adventure. It's like starting Durlag's Tower and then not being able to leave until you finish the whole thing.

I got through several floors/chapters of it (TotL), and then lost interest in my game before I ever got back and finsihed my original IWD run to see the ending of that.

If I ever do it again, I will finish IWD completely and then export/import into the expansions seperately, even though that means losing all my gear - there's still lots of good gear to collect and buy in the expansion, which works just fine as a pair of standalone adventures, imo.

For me, leaving IWD to do the expansions (HoW and TotL) without having finished IWD is just too long a distraction from the main story of IWD.

Really, I feel the same way about BG and ToSC. I only force myself to do parts of Durlag's Tower, Ice Island, and Werewolf Island (none of which I enjoy all that much), before pressing forward to confronting Sarevok, if I want to try to start BG2 with a bonus to my experience.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Thanks.

It's been so long, I'll need to look up a guide to make sure I know when I'm actually starting TotLM.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    TotLM is started by accepting an invitation to go to a castle in an inn within HoW.

HoW can be started anytime after level 9. If a fight is too hard you can usually rely on invisibility to bypass it.

There is multiple places to return to the main game after visiting HoW so it's well worth ducking in to bulk out your spell book from the two arcane spell stores before continuing your adventure.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    If you don't need the extra XP, items or scrolls, don't start HoW early. It's fine to play the main game for a longer time, activate the staircase within the Fallen Temple and then take a break to start HoW.

You need Hjollder to travel back to Kuldahar and from his house back to Lonelywood, too. Once you've started HoW, Hjollder is gone for some time ... which forces you to complete a small part of HoW before you can return with him to Kuldahar.

Traveling to the Isle Of The Great Wyrm, however, you cannot return to the main land (Lonelywood, Kuldahar) anymore ... You must finish HoW, and then you're teleported back to Kuldahar into Hjollder's house. Hjollder is gone. You cannot return to HoW to start TotLM then.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Thanks guys.

I have just gotten to the 3rd level of Dragoneye, and I am having a ton of trouble with the first fight with all the Cold Wights. My FMC is 11/12/12, and pretty close to level 12 as a Fighter.

I'm going to try a few different tactics, but if nothing works, I'll try the expansion.

BTW, it's too bad a level 12 Cleric can't turn some Wights away.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Klorox said:

Thanks guys.

I have just gotten to the 3rd level of Dragoneye, and I am having a ton of trouble with the first fight with all the Cold Wights. My FMC is 11/12/12, and pretty close to level 12 as a Fighter.

I'm going to try a few different tactics, but if nothing works, I'll try the expansion.

BTW, it's too bad a level 12 Cleric can't turn some Wights away.

Need to be very high level to turn in HoF.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Am I the only dude who plays through Icewind Dale and then imports his character(s) into Heart of Winter? :)
    recklessheart
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Calmar said:

Am I the only dude who plays through Icewind Dale and then imports his character(s) into Heart of Winter? :)

Maybe... I don't know.. I never get that far... I have a disease... Its called chronic restartitis