Skip to content

Anyone else "hate" Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• vyvexthornevyvexthorne Member Posts: 58
    I do remember hating the city my first few playthroughs. It's dense, you get a bunch of quests, you feel claustrophobic after running free in the wilderness for so long, they're still throwing new companions at you... It's a lot to take in. I now have a systematic route through the city.. as well as in BGII. I don't really deviate from those paths so the city bits can feel a bit tedious.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    For me reaching Baldur's Gate is when the story kicks into gear. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love wandering the wilderness and gradually getting more powerful whilst collecting magic items and picking away at the big conspiracy, but the story only takes center stage once you reach the city. My favourite part of the game is the Baldur's Gate -> Candlekeep arc - and those Doppelganger sections. The part I can't stand is Cloakwood/Firewine Ruins/Ulcaster School always happy to be done with those sections.
  • OnionKnight04OnionKnight04 Member Posts: 8
    I just finished the game for the first time a couple of days ago and thought about coming here to make this exact same post. Chapter Five was a massive stumbling block for me and almost put me off the game entirely. It started off well because I decided to try the Tales of the Sword Coast side quests first. I was trekking north to Baldur's Gate, why not make a stop by Ulgoth's Beard?

Durlag's Tower was so good and so absorbing that Baldur's Gate felt like a brick wall by comparison. The story floats away into a series of side quests that eventually feel redundant. It cuts the drama off in favor of giving the player more choices, which doesn't make a lot of sense structurally. I had explored every part of the map I could up to that point and was suffering from exploration exhaustion. I wanted to pick up what I thought might be important items in Baldur's Gate, so I dutifully sought out every interesting character and every interesting bit of dialogue. After performing so many open-ended tasks, the idea of performing even more was irritating. True, I could have skipped most of it and went straight for the Seven Suns and the Iron Throne, but would I miss anything important by doing so? Was there some information about the storyline that might enrich the plot hidden away in the SE corner of the city? Who knew?! So I slogged about hoping something would pique my interest in the meantime.

Then Chapter Six is quick and combat heavy and the drama leads right back to Baldur's Gate. Awesome! Only... you can be arrested in Baldur's Gate now, so walking around the city is even more of a chore than usual, and there are a TON of plot points you could miss by going to the right place too quickly.

These are things that I think could have been fixed. The problem was not knowing if you would miss anything essential to the plot. And you can, which stinks. That kind of info should come naturally by moving through the game, not by accident. Because the Flaming Fist are so obnoxious in Chapter Seven, I found myself speeding through areas that contained important dialog. I was ready to go to the palace before I even knew the details of Duke Eltan's illness! I used a walkthrough to figure out what I had ran by and then ran routes through the city that avoided the guards. Glad that I did, because it made Sarevok's rise and fall more devious.

I just bought a copy of Icewind Dale because I've heard it's a touch more linear and combat focused. At this point, that sounds more exciting to me than exploring new cities and digging plot information out of characters you could easily miss. I will eventually play through BG2 because I've always wanted to complete the entire saga, but I have to say that the Baldur's Gate portion of Baldur's Gate is disappointing, and is responsible for slowing down what had been, up to that point, a very interesting and absorbing dramatic climb.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    Its worth noting that Durlag's Tower and Ulgoth's Beard were part of the expansion. So the encounters you see in Baldur's Gate (the city) by-in-large would have been designed around a character that hadn't gone through these areas (and when the level cap was lower). Thats why fetch quests for instance in

Werewolf island

see you getting 3000-4000xp for completing one quest.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • Meri20098Meri20098 Member Posts: 31
    For me, I love playing singleton (sadly I have to cheat to do it) but I can't seem to get my character just right ever. Like since I max my gold, I want to make sure I have the best armor and weapons. I also want to be immune to as many magics as I can be, because when I get hit with some certain ones it renders me unable to control my character (yes I'm guilty of using CTRL-R (restores character) and CTRL-Y (kills character under cursor) when a battle gets really tricky.) I don't understand why some weapons break so much and have to be replaced. I've been doing my best in learning and immersing myself into the game as much as I can but I can't get very far without feeling frustrated. The farthest I've gotten is only chapter two.

Do I hate it? No not at all. The challenge is good for me. However, it's really frustrating when I can't get very far
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Meri20098 said:

For me, I love playing singleton (sadly I have to cheat to do it) but I can't seem to get my character just right ever. Like since I max my gold, I want to make sure I have the best armor and weapons. I also want to be immune to as many magics as I can be, because when I get hit with some certain ones it renders me unable to control my character (yes I'm guilty of using CTRL-R (restores character) and CTRL-Y (kills character under cursor) when a battle gets really tricky.) I don't understand why some weapons break so much and have to be replaced. I've been doing my best in learning and immersing myself into the game as much as I can but I can't get very far without feeling frustrated. The farthest I've gotten is only chapter two.

Do I hate it? No not at all. The challenge is good for me. However, it's really frustrating when I can't get very far

(1) Weapon Breakage.

All non-magic weapons can break...except:

(a) Clubs
    (b) Staffs
    (c) Katanas
    (d) Wakazis
    (e) Ninjatos

It makes sense to start off the game with proficiency in scimitars for combat classes. You can buy a ninjato for 17gc which is as strong as a (more expensive) longsword and swings faster! If you really want the best weapons, scimitars stay great because you can kill Drizzt for some pretty broken scimitars.

For a Katana, you can steal a gem worth 1,000gc in the prologue upstairs in Winthrop's inn. For this, you either need to be a half-orc barbarian (S19, +4 from raging = 23. Enough to force open the lock), or a thief with maxed open locks. The best katana you can get in the game is only a +1 though...still, it's like having a greatsword in one hand, so its still pretty good.

(2) Controlling Character

Consider playing a berserker or barbarian. Their rages make you immune to most of the effects which would render your character out of your control. You can eventually do it multiple times per day. This will be the best protection you can get against enemy casters.

Otherwise invest in potions of clarity. You can steal one in Candlekeep in the prologue by going upstairs in Winthrop's inn.

Otherwise, make use of summoning monsters to soak up enemy mages' spells. There are a few wands of monster summoning. You can recharge it by selling it and rebuying it. Send in waves of summoned monsters until the enemies are no longer able to make your day one needing a reload. This works on everyone except sirens, whom you need to use a potion of clarity, a berserker or barbarian to nullify.

I hope this helps!

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Back in Baldur's Gate and the city has kinda killed the game for me, It's really poorly designed, who puts a wall through the middle of a city, really now come on. I'm thinking of giving everybody boots of speed, then spamming haste on them, just to get it done faster.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

It's really poorly designed, who puts a wall through the middle of a city, really now come on.

Lol! Obviously you don't live in Europe!

Here there are plenty of old towns which had city walls, then grew beyond the walls, and in some cases still have the walls in the middle.

Even in more recent times, anyone from Berlin could tell you about a wall built through the middle of a city.
    Damn don't use logic on me :wink:

Yes that does make complete sense, but for a game having to access the same district from different districts just to get to the side of it you want to be in is annoying.
  • Meri20098Meri20098 Member Posts: 31
    @Grum thanks for the info. There's so much to learn and remember, I can't keep it all straight. I just try to buy the most expensive weapon possible or spawn all the weapons I need
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I don't hate Baldurs Gate. But understand your point. once I have explored all the areas and done the side quests. I get a little burnt out by the time I reach Baldurs Gate
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    What I like most about BG1 is being level 1. I know that sounds nuts but I like being low level and progressing to level 9 or 12. It's more manageable and being really weak (when the bad guy are also weak) makes for fun combat IMO

most of all low level is really nostalgic for me. Playing D and D all night long with my friends when I was 11 years old was all about low level campaigns cause we were disorganized kids. Our adventures never got passed level 9-12. I still roll the same characters sometimes.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    edited July 2015

What I like most about BG1 is being level 1. I know that sounds nuts but I like being low level and progressing to level 9 or 12. It's more manageable and being really weak (when the bad guy are also weak) makes for fun combat IMO

most of all low level is really nostalgic for me. Playing D and D all night long with my friends when I was 11 years old was all about low level campaigns cause we were disorganized kids. Our adventures never got passed level 9-12. I still roll the same characters sometimes.

I've played (tabletop) D&D starting from around 9 years old (late 70s) to my mid-30s even (though I haven't in about 10 years or so).

I've played with a lot of people too: childhood & neighborhood friends as a kid, friends & stoners (but I repeat myself) in high school, friends & barracks mates in the army, college buddies, and finally adulthood friends I still keep in touch with, and I have never, ever, ever had a campaign (as DM or player) that got above 14th level. Long running campaigns usually peter out around "name" level. Most campaigns die out way before then due to total party kills, or outside disruptions.

So I think your games ending around levels 9-12 is very normal, and not because you were young and disorganised.

I actually think those levels are kind of the sweet spot for the (A)D&D rules.

EDIT: tiny bit of humor :smile:
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I have had characters advance into the teens of levels in PNP (twice) and 20s (once). But those are from very long running campaigns. It is certainly not "normal".
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    I feel the opposite to the OP. I love all of BG1 and much prefer the city of Baldur's gate to Anhkhatla where you can't complete one quest without initiating three others and it all becomes overwhelming. Whne I first enter the city it always reminds me of the first time I did it. I felt a great sense of achievement in finally unlocking it (after several failed attempts) and then crossing the bridge thinking "this is HUGE - and there's still so much to do". The one criticism I do think is valid is that on subsequent playthroughs the complexity of navigation around the city can be irritating. I do see why they made it like that: your first visit in your character's life to a large, complex city they are bound to get lost a few times, but it can be frustrating when it's not your first visit. Still, personally I much prefer it to Ankhatla.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    As with Blucher, we never got much past the low teens in our 1st Edition AD&D games back in the day. I still fondly remember my 13th level fighter (early 80s) and then years later my 13th level wizard (mid/late '80s). My rogues never tended to make it that far as traps tended to take them out early and one DM was a bit of a sadist with those traps...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    A lot of posters seem to be misunderstanding the topic of this thread. The OP is asking if anyone else hates Baldur's Gate City, not the game of BG1.

I sympathize with him. I also find the BG City portion of the game to be rather tedious, after all the fun I had with the rest of the maps getting there. Once I get to BG City, I'm usually just in a rush to hurry up and get to Sarevok so I can move my character on to BG2. I know I won't be having any more fun with that run.

The battles at the top of the Iron Throne building (both of them), the battle at the Ducal Palace, and the final battle with Sarevok, are just very anxiety-inducing to me, and not very much fun. They're just things I have to get through so I can finish the game.

Being accused of murder and then escaping through the Candlekeep Catacombs is pure tedium to me. As is having to sneak around and avoid the Flaming Fist trying to get back to the Ducal Palace battle.

The sidequests in the city, and getting around in the city, are also pure, irritating boredom to me.

So, why do I even still like BG1 when I obviously don't think much of the final act? Well, it's because of the 90% of the game that comes before that. I love being levels 1-7, and exploring the wide open wilderness. I've never been a huge fan of city adventures.

I'm really not crazy about adventuring in Athkatla, either. I enjoy BG2 the most when doing the maps outside the city - De'Arnise Keep, Tradesmeet, and Windspear Hills.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Well, I've only been to BG City once, and I stopped playing, not because it was boring, but because it was a bit confusing to get around with all of those quest givers everywhere. That, and I was playing on my dad's computer, which he was getting rid of, so I couldn't muddle through it some more.
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    This is funny, because I hate not having access to Baldurs Gate sooner AND I feel its epic precisely because you can kind of get lost in the place because theres so much to do. Like uh... exactly how I get lost downtown IRL. It feels like a city.

BG2's major city might be better designed gameplay-wise but BG1's major city felt incredibly epic since the first time I walked in there. After countless hours of roaming the countryside and being amushed by wild dogs, it changed the entire game.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    The first part of BG is a complete and utter joy, the love the developers felt for the game comes out nowhere more strongly.
    The detail is extraordinary, the inventiveness beats anything that was around at the time.

That's carried into the city to a large extent but, I feel at some point they had to think, "this can't go on, we have to sell this and make some money".

I think as a player you can't help but feel that the story is coming to an end (once you've played through a few times) and there is inevitably a sadness(?) that there aren't going to be any more areas covered in black for you to explore, any more corners to turn and be ambushed, anymore NPCs to meet.

• kristaokkristaok Member Posts: 51
    Nope, I just started and I like it. :)
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    When I was younger I took the BG orginal game and I just had to stop at the city. I simply got lost in the side quests and all the NPC’s around. It was simply too complicated for me. Maybe my language knowledge wasn’t that good and maybe I was simply too young to put pieces of the game together.
    However, when the EE came out, I decided to give the game another try. And here I have to agree with @GaelicVigil. And actually the city was the place where I really got into the game. I really liked how the game revealed the hidden agendas, Saverok’s plan, your role in the world, different political parties and powers. It was really an experience to talk to every individual and somehow put the peaces of puzzle all together. I understood that something smells fishy when I went down in Nashkel mines. I started to realize that iron shortage, civil unrest and my part was somehow connected. But yeah in the city I really started to feel as a citizen of the D&D universe, that there is some decisive power in my hands.

I actually find the mindless running around the area, sword coast or woods, completing side quests and clearing areas more boring, since there it does not give any consistency to the story.

Actually I was a bit disappointed by the expansion pack. I didn’t find it fun to kill the big bad wolf who is really only vulnerable to 3-4 weapons in the game or disarming countless traps in a dwarven tower just to bring a lost son back to a depressed mother… phh.. Until this day I don’t understand how the two additional areas are connected to each other or to the whole game.

Riderat
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    he he, good point about the circles. But then again, if you think about the environment and physics around the place it kind of makes sense. For instance, Suldanessellar is build on the top of the forest, which would require some kind of circular platforms on top of one cylindrical foundation due to balance. Same thing applies for the Drow city as it is build on stalagmites and around stalactites - also cylindrical foundations. And temples, well temples are pretty much always round, especially in older religions. At least they have round ceiling and everything. I guess the round shape is an universal way of building sturdy and divine structures. :open_mouth:

Riderat
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Circular rooms are an important part of defensive architecture in the forgotten realms.

Most buildings are designed by the wizardly professionals, whom, wanting to have control of the non-arcane masses, ensure that circular rooms are used as the norm.

This way a wizard need only on worrying that his/her fireball spell hits the centre of a room. This way you get to clear a room of bad guys with one spell.

Plus circular beds are great.