Skip to content

[BG:EE MOD] Caina Fighter/Brigand NPC and Zarra Ranger/Archer NPC

DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
edited February 2015 in BG:EE Mods
Hi friends.
Officially its my first BGEE mod, so...
I thought there's a lack of evil custom NPCs (personally I prefer evil NPCs), so I've decided to try my luck in BG modding =)

CAINA:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Caina is a mercenary from Luskan. She is a Brigand (Thug).
You can find her in Beregost in a mansion on the north.
Caina is currently working for Gerard Travenhurst, knocking out his debts.
She has a lot of interactions and some banters with BG NPCs and a personal quest.
She will join you only after you've done her quest.
While traveling with her she will give some gifts to Edwin, Xzar, Xan.

ZARRA:
Zarra is a drow from the city of Sschindylryn (near Cormyr). She is an archer goblin hunter.
She is obviously lost. She needs your help to retrieve an item that belongs to her.
Zarra has a special friend - an animal companion called Auflaque.
You will meet her near Nashkel (eastern area - Dorn's first quest area).
She has a lot of interactions and some banters with BG NPCs and a personal quest and some IG interactions with most vanilla NPCs (compliments, insults...)
She is very nervous and vulnerable, treat her well or she will leave.

Explore 3 new dungeons (or 10 new areas) with the 2 new NPCs:
The Orc Cave near Gullykin village:

Blackmaul enclave near Nashkel:

Old Temple near Beregost:

Face new enemies and find over 20 new items:

!The new kit fighter/brigand is not a DnD kit!

BRIGAND: A Brigand is a common outlaw robber who travels with others in a group or a loner assassin.
Brigands break into the battle without honor and respect using dirty tricks.
Brigands can either stab their enemies from the back with a sharp dagger or strike outright with a long sword when they have an advantage in numbers and strenght.
Voracious gold diggers, Brigands usually have no deity.

Advantages:
- May use backstab ability for increased damage:
Level 1-3: x1
Level 4-9: x2
Level 10-15: x3
Level 16+: x4

- May use Smoke Bead ability once per day every 4 levels (starts at 2 level with one use).

- May use Bone Slug ability once per day every 4 levels (starts at 3 level with one use).

- May use Bone Dust ability once per day every 4 levels (starts at 4 level with one use).

Disadvantages:
- Incurs a -4 penalty to Charisma.
- May not wear armor heavier than splint mail.
- May achieve Grand Mastery (five slots) only with the following weapons: long sword, short sword, katana, scimitar, dagger, club.
- May only become Proficient (one slot) in any other weapon.
- May only become Proficient (one slot) in any fighting style.
- Alignment restricted to evil.

WARNING!
rar archive = 90 mb

How to install:
There are 3 folders in the archive: "override", "kit" and "install". Put them all in your BGEE directory (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766). You need to override your override folder (sorry for that), but it shouldn't override most of your files, I guess. Mostly area files are there.
Then copy the setup-xxx.exe and xxx.tp2 files from the "kit" and "install" folders to the BGee directory and install "kit" and then the main "install".
I did this because I was planning to use the new kit in BG2EE too. If you want to try it in BG2EE - no problem. Simple copy the "kit" folder to your BG2EE directory and install it, it should work.

v1.02
https://www.mediafire.com/?b9z8ladxpi5la64
Post edited by DarkDogg on
GodKaiserHellCrevsDaakOxvaDexterSmilingSwordmlneveseJuliusBorisovGoturalSharGuidesMyHandBlackravenGrammarsaladArcalian

Comments

• DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2014
    Updated v1.01
    fixed some minor bugs and dialogs.
    Post edited by DarkDogg on
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Seems like a lot of new stuff, especially for your first mod. Nice work! :o

Any chance for a larger view of the two ladies' portraits?
    Thels said:

Any chance for a larger view of the two ladies' portraits?

Sure.
    I'm not sure about the portraits. Perhaps I should ask Isandir to help me with their portraits in the future.

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited September 2014
    The top one (Caina?) looks really nice. Not so sure about the bottom one.
    Post edited by Thels on
    BlackravenGrammarsalad
    edited September 2014
    uploaded v1.02
    Added some new dialogs, new monsters, edited some items, fixed 2 bugs.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/b9z8ladxpi5la64/BGEEDLJ+1.02.zip

P.S.:
    also check out my BGEE EVIL KITS mod:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34803/bg-ee-evil-kits-mod-ravager-and-palemaster
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Hey was wanted to say im loving this mod. Zarra's added alot to my party, havn't picked up Caina yet.Also the portraits are great, the art style is not a exact match to the vanilla npc's, but close enough as to fit in quite well.
    Two little nitpicks, one why is Zarra trained in shortbows?
    Drow use crossbows as a standard for almost everybody including priestesses of Lolth. "Always confounded that Viconia has no crossbow training." Only drow i can remember ever using a shortbow was Valas Hune.
    Two maybe be a little more descriptive about Zarra's location, cause she is not east of Nashkel, more like south east. Spent an hour and half searching east and then west before heading south.
    Could just say she's in Dorn's first quest area.
    Anyway keep up the good work
    DarkDogg
    Hi @SmilingSword !
    Thanks for your comment.
    Sorry for my late response. There's a lot of things to do, a lot of new games to play =) Almost forgot about this mod...

1. You're absolutely right about the crossbows. My fault. Haven't thought that way, when I was creating this mod... My idea was, that the NPC was lost without any equipment just with a handmade mini shortbow (easier to make a shortbow in the wilderness, a crossbow is a more complicated machanism). I'm sure, if you're wrote this comment a year ago - I've probably changed it.
    2. Somewhere East of Nashkel. Yeah, pretty hard to find. Probably you're right, I should've point her direct location on the map... Edited the first post.

What do you think about the dialogs/banters? Do they actually work? =)
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Yo
    Your banter's work fine, there where some grammatical errors and strange phasing or maybe just the strange phasing I can't really remember, but i kinda just chalked that up to Zara not knowing much common.
    Im running the first proper good party ive had in like 10 yrs atm, so il pick them up on my next evil playthrough XD
    DarkDogg
  • BlagdanBlagdan Member Posts: 13
    I can't seem to get this install... is this not compatible with version 1.3 and above?
    I discover the problem, It would seems that the arcane archer mod is not compatible with your kit mod....
  • MoltcMoltc Member Posts: 1
    How does the Caina quest work? The one you have to do for her to join? The quest doesn't turn up in my journal and as I understand it I need to go to Gullykin to find out what happened to someone she sent after an orc band. I've snooped around the village and talked to everyone there and haven't turned anything up. Am I missing something?
    Moltc said:

How does the Caina quest work? The one you have to do for her to join? The quest doesn't turn up in my journal and as I understand it I need to go to Gullykin to find out what happened to someone she sent after an orc band. I've snooped around the village and talked to everyone there and haven't turned anything up. Am I missing something?

Search the north-eastern corner on the map - there will be a new cave entrance, enter the new cave.

You might want to visit 2 other new caves in the game - one in the Dorn's quest area with the evil necromancer, east of Nashkel and the second one in the Drizzt area west of Beregost, check the abandoned house in the north.

Yes, I'm really sorry for that, I had some problems with the journal entries and with one quest (the quest with the key in the hidden room in one of the new areas). I've asked some modders for help, but couldn't figure out how to fix this issues.
    Blagdan said:

I discover the problem, It would seems that the arcane archer mod is not compatible with your kit mod....

It's because of the brigand kit. If you don't want to use Caina or don't want to use the brigand kit, simple don't install the "kit", as I wrote in the first post. Caina then will be a vanilla fighter without any abilities (should be).

My mod is compatible with some other mods (bgnpc should work fine) and some NPC mods (haven't checked them all though).
    If you want to use your KIT mods, then just don't install the "kit" folder of my mod and it should work fine.
  • AlbinoWyvernAlbinoWyvern Member Posts: 32
    I was just searching for a fighter and an archer, so I'll check it out. Can't wait to see the banters. :blush:
    DarkDogg said:

It's because of the brigand kit. If you don't want to use Caina or don't want to use the brigand kit, simple don't install the "kit", as I wrote in the first post. Caina then will be a vanilla fighter without any abilities (should be).

My mod is compatible with some other mods (bgnpc should work fine) and some NPC mods (haven't checked them all though).
    If you want to use your KIT mods, then just don't install the "kit" folder of my mod and it should work fine.

This is a little late but is this mod compatible with quest/expansion like dark horizon and drizztsaga? Reason is because when I try to move your override folder to the game's override folder there's 3 conflicts. Two of them are bams, specifically fire1 and fire4, and the other one is an are file, specifically ar4200. As you might have imagine the files in question are from dark horizon and drizztsaga mods......
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    The description of the Brigand kit doesnt mention how long Bone Slug and Bone Dust last or if the enemy has a chance of saving, anyone know the details?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Blagdan said:

DarkDogg said:

This is a little late but is this mod compatible with quest/expansion like dark horizon and drizztsaga? Reason is because when I try to move your override folder to the game's override folder there's 3 conflicts. Two of them are bams, specifically fire1 and fire4, and the other one is an are file, specifically ar4200. As you might have imagine the files in question are from dark horizon and drizztsaga mods......
    I'm having a similar issue with installing on top of the NPC Project - it's asking me to override three different area files (4000, 4200, 5500).
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    I'm embarrased to be one always requesting for this but..... any chance they will be romancable? :smiley: Evil guys and gals need some nice love-options too! :wink:
    SmilingSword
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2015
    I can see the cave entrance in the Gullykin area. But it isn't enterable. Did I do something wrong? If this isn't compatible with Drizzt Saga and other large quest mods it will be unuseable for me I am afraid. I really like Zarra but obviously I cannot try Caina since she requires a quest in an area that doesn't work for me (probably due to Drizzt Saga).
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited February 2016
    @DarkDogg - please consider implementing all features of this mod using WeiDU to make it compatible with other mods

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/22536/npc-modding-tutorial/p1 (also see Kulyok's post on that thread)

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html (reference manual)
    Post edited by agb1 on
    Grammarsalad

Hey @DarkDogg --

I really like the brigand kit - can it also be installed in BG2:EE or IWD:EE? If not, would it be possible for you to make one compatible with those games, if it isn't too much to ask?

Thanks in advance.
  • ChaosRiderChaosRider Member Posts: 26
    This is what you get when you try use it for BG2EE:

ERROR locating resource for 'CHAIN3'
    Resource [GREYWO.DLG] not found in KEY file: [./chitin.key]

ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [tb#_compile_eval_bufer/INSTALL/TALK/CAINAJ/.D]: Failure("resource [GREYWO.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3' ")
    Stoppping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [BGEEDLJ for BGEE], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 136 files for [SETOP-INSTALL.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 136 files for [SETOP-INSTALL.TP2] component 0.
    PLEASE email the file SETOP-INSTALL.DEBUG to DDog
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @ChaosRider - This mod is for BGEE, not BG2EE.
    Aedan
  • Lord_DykariusLord_Dykarius Member Posts: 1
    hey guys. I've got a problem. I can't complete GullKin Village Caina Quest because it crashs. Always!
    Does it a matter of conflict between other mods? Or Maybe I have to do something else?
  • GyudaGyuda Member Posts: 5
    Hi ! i play with this mod and enjoyed it but i got the same problem in gullkin village ending with a crash.

here is the dump file created when i run in that crash

hope to be helpfull

Was anyone able to complete the quests for these NPCs? I see some complaints about one or more quests being broken, possibly due to conflicts with other mods.

Such a shame if that's true, because I always wanted to give this mod an earnest try.