Skip to content

*Spoiler-ish* exploit in ToB.

so in my first stop in Saradush, I noticed that the militia are constantly fighting fire giants. I suspect for the environment's sake of a siege. Near where Errard is standing, there is a fire giant constantly spawning behind a tower. He never seems to move, just shoots arrows at militia.

If you have enough returning items (firetooth +4, The Brick, returning dart, etc) you can position your party along that wall top. The giant triggers the enemy sighted effect and just pick ranged attacker script. The characters will attack the giant, he doesn't attack back and I have yet to get hit by a catapult round there. Each kill grabs 8k exp for nothing. I am still testing it, and made a save file just in case, but I left it running and went to work. I will see how much xp I have gotten when I get home. It is pretty hacky and sort of dripping with cheese, but meh...

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Pretty well known, actually, and very effective. Kudos for finding that on your own! That's a pretty obscure one; I only know about it secondhand.
  • SciobthaSciobtha Member Posts: 54
    hooray! I discovered something already discovered lol funny thing is that it was sort of an rp-reason that led me to the meta-power-cheesy-whamo exploit. After all, my character has a bow with inf arrows and is a darn good shot, why wouldn't he go help the defenders against those nasty giants!!
    then "Meta-Mind" stepped in, pushed "RP Lee" outta the away and said "hm.... we can use this..." lol well at least I like quesadillas.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Those fire giants are invisible, that is, they can not be seen by eye, they have no avatar animation IIRC like an invisible stalker. But they can be targeted with ranged attacks and chain contingency spells. Devs should either:
    -make them perma invisible, even after attacking, with immunity to divination
    -grant them %100 missile resistance (they take cover)
    -or make them give reduced or zero xp upon kill:there is no danger involved, it is more like a shooting practise.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I say keep the exploit, because it's cool. Why not reward players when they find something like this?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    If you want free XP, just add it via EEKeeper. It's faster and easier than afking on that giant while you sleep, and just as legit.
    Well slight update, every time I come back, my main has died at some point. Before he was with the party shooting, I then afk stealthed him on the wall on the opposite side of the city. He died there as well. Now I have in the temple with the rest of my party shooting. Will see how that went later today.

Yes, I definitely think it was just an oversight or a "we'll trust the community not to exploit" sort of thing as to why they let him be targetable via ranged weapons with an AI script.

Though maybe it was meant to be found and, if thought of from an RP standpoint, a character defending the walltop from a seemingly endless horde of enemies falls right in line with just about every fantasy story of a siege (helm's deep, Minas Tirith to name a couple from LOTR). XP works as they are actively attacking and getting better with their weapons, as well as with weapons they are not proficient in.

At least this way feels a bit more legit than hacking in xp, it is justifiable from an RP standpoint without saying that Torm decided to bestow 12 kajillion billion xp to your party out of nowhere lol

It should also be noted that the giants are not invisible, they do show up after killing them and the little bloodburst animation shows (at least for me), and they are targetable. They were just positioned behind the pillar, thus out of "click" reach with the mouse. The cheese bit is that they never seem to attack the party, just the militia if the 2 are in position.
    Sciobtha said:

At least this way feels a bit more legit than hacking in xp, it is justifiable from an RP standpoint without saying that Torm decided to bestow 12 kajillion billion xp to your party out of nowhere lol

Infinite stupid fire giants running into your attacks mindlessly while you're out eating lunch is "more legit"? I guess we could go down to a technical discussion, but let's not kid ourselves. It's free XP for no effort involved, one way or another. The main difference imo is that if you're just editing in the XP you're at least being honest about what you are doing.

That being said, such things remain always and forever a PERSONAL CHOICE. No judgement involved at all. You feel better abusing AI than using EEKeeper? You want to do it, do it. You don't, don't do it. It's not for me or anyone else to tell you it's "right" or "wrong". So there is no need for moral justification, either.
    @Lord_Tansheron basically yes... :p

It's hardly free either. You are inserting time, ammo, spell slots, the effort to find the correct position, for xp. So unsure where you get the "free" from lol

I would be curious as to where you source your point of referency for "legitimacy?"
    edited July 2015
    Sciobtha said:

It's hardly free either. You are inserting time, ammo, spell slots, the effort to find the correct position, for xp. So unsure where you get the "free" from lol

That's about as difficult as downloading and installing EEKeeper, loading up the save file, and editing the correct values. Everything takes effort of some kind, but not everything is EFFORT effort.
    Sciobtha said:

I would be curious as to where you source your point of referency for "legitimacy?"

I tend to use the term more ironically than anything. As I said, there is no judgment here. You do what you feel like doing. Just be honest about your own feelings.
    edited July 2015

That's about as difficult as downloading and installing EEKeeper, loading up the save file, and editing the correct values. Everything takes effort of some kind, but not everything is EFFORT effort.

lol maybe that would not be "effort" effort. How long would that take? a couple mouse clicks and a tidge of typing? Unless you are so computer illiterate that c:// blows your mind, then that would be serious effort, but in that case you shouldn't be downloading autowin.exe anyway right? lol
    but it seems I won't be able to convince you of my point so I will agree and let it be. It is cool. I am only doing it once "just cuz," and I still like to play through a game legitimately rather than using exploits. Back to something we all like, smiting things! :D
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's like any exploit (such as the stealing and infinite reselling from stores and many others), if you want to do it then fine, it's a single player game and doing so hurts nobody. Justifying it and attempting to pass it off as a legitimate tactic is a bit weird though IMO.

If you are having fun with it though then that's all that counts.
    decado said:

Justifying it and attempting to pass it off as a legitimate tactic is a bit weird though IMO.

That's exactly it. Do it, or don't do it. There is no need to justify your decision to other people, and if you feel you do need to do that, then you should probably ask yourself what that means :P
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited July 2015

I say keep the exploit, because it's cool. Why not reward players when they find something like this?

For the same reason, infinite gold/xp and potion duplication bugs/glitches have been fixed.
    And continue to be fixed, in single-player or multiplayer. BG1 and BG2 counting, as well as every other game.

Somebody always feels compelled to tell the rest of us that there's a morally right way to play a single-player game.

Whether or not it's moral doesn't matter.
    When it comes to exploits or bugs, it's obviously what the designers didn't intend to include therefore they are and should be fixed.
    There's nothing more to really discuss.
    Bugs + Exploits = Unintended = Need fixing.

Mods and the EEKeeper are irrelevant because the former are external modifications and the latter is a tool to edit the game, as well as using the console which is a Debug Tool.
    Those are not parts of the original game.
    Post edited by Archaos on
    Everyone seems locked into only one possibility. That somehow I am some insecure, sleazeball just because I am encouraging discussion on something that everyone is just assuming the programmers didn't intend to be used? Could it be possible they included a mechanic for unending hordes of giants for immersion? Surely something this easy wasn't missed in playtesting. The party has to talk to Errard for a quest and would have passed right near where the giant was. With AI on, the party would have started attacking immediately.

Can we really assume they just didn't "feel" like fixing it? In a game so immaculately detailed that it has swarms of zealous followers over a decade after its creation?? Come on now, let's think just a bit. :)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Sciobtha said:

Can we really assume they just didn't "feel" like fixing it? In a game so immaculately detailed that it has swarms of zealous followers over a decade after its creation?? Come on now, let's think just a bit. :)

Well, even after ToB and patches, the BG games had ton more bugs and exploits. Even after the Fixpack.
    The BGEEs fixed even more bugs and continue to do so.
    Just because the game is old and a classic doesn't mean that it's perfect and absolutely bug/exploit-free.
    Sciobtha said:

something that everyone is just assuming the programmers didn't intend to be used?

Are you arguing that the creators of the game wanted people to have infinite XP at the very start of the expansion via an automated killing sequence that does not even require you to be sitting at the keyboard?

Yeah, that seems reasonable.
    Well sure, for the really obscure bugs that have to have variables x, y, z, x, q, 2a, 9, all happen exactly the same way at exactly the right time to occur, not something so easy to find that even I got it. I am not exactly a playtester, running into every inch of wall to find bugs. I just blunder along with my noggin in the clouds lol
    edited July 2015
    well, we aren't talking "infinite experience" at 8k a piece with a party of potentially 6 characters, all whose experience levels are in the millions... You could afk for about a month or so and maybe get close to the level cap lol

I would suspect the designers thought if a player wanted to max lv so bad in the first area, then more power to them for running the game constantly for weeks on end.

That is assuming that you can do it without dying, not so easy a proposition, I assure you...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Wow, there's a lot of strong opinions about this thing that you can pretty much only encounter if you're looking for it.

Finding an RP justification for an exploit is a hallmark of the BG series; people have been doing it for over a decade, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I doubt @Sciobtha actually thinks this exploit is a part of the written Bhaalspawn story, but coming up with an explanation that gels with the game's existing narrative isn't just acceptable, it's expected.

Certainly it's a bug. You've got an invisible creature in the game that doesn't attack the player and can be defeated using the AI scripts with no risk to the player's party. That's obviously not "intended".

The question I would ask in this case is, has anyone ever encountered this bug when they weren't actively looking for it? If so, then it should be fixed one way or another. If not, then I would say it falls into the category of "acceptable loss".

Despite what the cheater police think, it is entirely possible for people to adjust their games in ways that make it more fun for themselves without being cheaters. Any adjustments made to the original game are not original content. Not “intended”. This includes such things as mods that make combat much more challenging.

That's mostly semantics. What is "cheating" and what is "adjusting" would probably be difficult to define objectively. In fact, I'd argue that using "cheating" instead of any other term is done purely for the negative connotation, i.e. a judgment. That's pretty irrelevant to a purely private decision with literally 0 ramifications for other people.

However, the discussion has gone beyond that now. We're talking about things like developer intent now, and I think that is something you CAN have a discussion about. Whatever it is you're doing doesn't matter, but you can still talk about what you think is within intended use of game mechanics, and what isn't. Judgment-free, of course.

Also, illustrating the issue can help other people make a decision based on their own preference. Many people are unsure about such matters, and reading other people's opinions can help them decide. That is, after all, the whole reason why we're talking about this in the first place.
    Sciobtha said:

well, we aren't talking "infinite experience" at 8k a piece with a party of potentially 6 characters, all whose experience levels are in the millions... You could afk for about a month or so and maybe get close to the level cap lol

If you take 30 seconds to kill a giant, you'll be at 8m XP earned in a bit over 8 hours, i.e. more like a good night's sleep or a day's work than "a month to maybe get close". And that's not accounting for XP you had when you came into ToB. Full party will take longer, but still nowhere near what you said. Also that is if you really do take 30 seconds to kill it, which you probably don't.

I'd be interested in hearing what amount of XP you think would be "reasonable" to gain from this, and why that amount instead of any other.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    It is not unheard of for a developer to leave in some unintentional bugs if they offer entertainment value for some players.

For example:

“Bethesda's Todd Howard says that the studio doesn't fix every bug that it finds. If a bug is entertaining and fixing it would make the game less fun, Bethesda will sometimes leave it in.”
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.310615-Bethesda-Sometimes-Doesnt-Fix-Entertaining-Bugs

Sometimes I think that it is a shame that some of these “bugs” that people have enjoyed in their own game for all these years get squashed. If the bug does not break a quest or some such thing, and requires the player to actively make choices to take advantage of it, who does it hurt?
    edited July 2015

If the bug does not break a quest or some such thing, and requires the player to actively make choices to take advantage of it, who does it hurt?

Nobody. And nobody is saying that. But even if the bug is left in, it's still, you know, a bug. THAT is the issue, not what you do with it (as that's a personal choice).

Also, that is assuming that this issue at hand was, in fact, left in by the developers intentionally, and not, say, skipped in fixing because it was a low priority and ToB was extremely rushed to begin with (which we know for a fact it was, based on dev/ex-dev statements).

I think it would be fair to assume bugs being unintentional as the default position. I don't doubt that sometimes hilarious bugs can be left unfixed, but that would be a TINY minority, and for good reason.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    I love the exploit. I surely do. I mean, one could also write a program to move to areas, fake rest and start fights and then move back to a safe spot for resting. You could get inf. Xp that way too. All random encounters are unlimited and give inf. Xp as well, they're just harder.

This should probably be removed even though I like it. Yaga Shura's army is not infinite.

If you take 30 seconds to kill a giant, you'll be at 8m XP earned in a bit over 8 hours, i.e. more like a good night's sleep or a day's work than "a month to maybe get close". And that's not accounting for XP you had when you came into ToB. Full party will take longer, but still nowhere near what you said. Also that is if you really do take 30 seconds to kill it, which you probably don't.

let's show our work just for funsies... At 30 seconds a kill, you can kill 7,680,0000 xp worth of giants. That is 1.28 mil xp per player in a party of six. Thinking positively, that will get 1 level up for each toon. So you can leave your machine running while you sleep and wake up with a level up for each player, assuming it wasn't somehow interrupted by party banter/dialog, or a main char death...

Knowing that the xp needed for the level up increases every time, we can stay positive and say we can get 2 more nights of a level per night per party member x6. After that it might take 2 nights for a level up, then 3 so we are already at 8 nights to get 5 levels (this is very optimistic). The rate only increases from there so yea, you might hit the level cap in a few weeks of this, assuming no druids in the party or multiclass.

@Ravenslight Thank you so much for stopping in, you eloquently expressed exactly what I was trying and failing to get across in every post. :) Regardless if it was intended, it's just for fun. The xp boost is minimal, as @Lord_Tansheron said, it would be quicker and easier to just use c://autowin.exe or Shadow Masky Wacky Hacky or whatever the exterior program is called to hack yourself to the level cap. I don't think this was meant for that, heck it may have been put there for the programmers sake, "I'm getting frustrated with this bit of code, I'm gonna go beat on the fire giant for awhile"

So to summarize... it's fun, it is not game changing without weeks worth of overnight time investments, it doesn't prevent a quest... I fail to see the reason why so many have invested so much, emotionally to making sure I admit that I am the "cheating scum of the earth" ;P
    edited July 2015
    Sciobtha said:

That is 1.28 mil xp per player in a party of six. Thinking positively, that will get 1 level up for each toon.

It's not about "thinking positively", it's about XP/level values. It's 5 levels for Fighter, Cleric, and Rogue characters, 4 levels for Paladins/Rangers, and 3 levels for Mages. Druids it depends on what level you are as their XP is very wonky depending on which bracket you're currently in.
    Sciobtha said:

Knowing that the xp needed for the level up increases every time

It doesn't. You seem to be unaware of how XP works in this game. XP/level becomes static very quickly (usually shortly after lvl 10, around 200-300k total XP depending on class). Druids are the only exception, as they have level brackets in which the XP is static, but between which it fluctuates.

Also it doesn't matter AT ALL even if XP did increase, because there is a total XP cap of 8m in ToB. As per-kill XP is also static, it is a completely linear function of time.
    Sciobtha said:

I fail to see the reason why so many have invested so much, emotionally to making sure I admit that I am the "cheating scum of the earth" ;P

No one is saying that. What you do is your business. However, you choosing to go this route does not mean it is an intended use of game mechanics. It also doesn't say anything about whether it wouldn't be easier and just as defensible to simply edit the XP in, skipping the hours of automated grinding where you're not actually playing anyway. This is not about morality, that is a pointless debate in a completely self-contained game that has no influence on anyone else.