Skip to content

Petition for Dark Alliance References in Siege of Dragonspear

billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
edited July 2015 in Feature Requests
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear takes place during 1368 DR. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance takes place during 1374 DR. Just like how BG2 gave a cameo to the 80s D&D cartoon, some kind of minor cameo or reference to Dark Alliance would be most welcome in Siege of Dragonspear.

Possible options:
Karne is supposed to be the leader of the Thieves' Guild. He might rise to prominence after Sarevok's defeat. Fayed is a Priest of Ilmater. It seems like he'd have plenty to do with this influx of refugees. Eldrith is supposed to become Baldur's Gate's greatest general and was the leader of the company of the Crescent Blade. Perhaps she would have some involvement in aiding CHARNAME during the Siege of Dragonspear?
  1. Petition for Dark Alliance References in Siege of Dragonspear22 votes
    1. Yes, include minor cameos/references to Dark Alliance in Siege of Dragonspear
      22.73%
    2. Yes, include minor cameos/references to Dark Alliance in Siege of Dragonspear but do so post game release
        0.00%
    3. No, do not include minor cameos/reference to Dark Alliance in Siege of Dragonspear
      72.73%
    4. I have trouble deciding
        4.55%

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    @Kamigoroshi It would make fine sense time-wise. The Dark Alliance games are heavily based around Baldur's Gate. Many of these NPCs should be around doing something in Baldur's Gate in around 1368.

Dark Alliance 1 sold about 1.5 million copies and Dark Alliance 2 sold almost 1 million copies and with reviews around the 8.5 out of 10 area for both. These games were generally well liked.

A cameo or reference would be nice to see for those familiar with the Dark Alliance games. People who aren't wouldn't notice. Just like Hank and Bobby (from the D&D cartoon) cameos in BG2.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Why do you want to remind us of garbage?
    KamigoroshiFardragonGodKaiserHell

@SmilingSword It wasn't garbage, the games were popular. I mean, they weren't PC games related to the Bhaalspawn Saga, heresy I know, but they are still part of the Baldur's Gate IP, and there's little reason not to have a small cameo or reference to those games.
    Spjuv3rn
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Okay. I'm dialing 9-1-1.

@Dee, help us out here.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I haven't played them so I'm indifferent.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I'm not familiar with the Dark Alliance plot, but I'm a sucker for interrelated and/or "crossover" stories. Not that petitions would be of use at this point on, but I'm just saying that I'd like that. :smile:
    @Illustair it shouldn't be too hard to put in a passing reference or cameo. Nothing extensive required.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    billbisco said:

@SmilingSword It wasn't garbage, the games were popular. I mean, they weren't PC games related to the Bhaalspawn Saga, heresy I know, but they are still part of the Baldur's Gate IP, and there's little reason not to have a small cameo or reference to those games.
    They might have used the Baldur's Gate setting, but the Dark Alliance games were a completely different set of games from the PC Baldur's Gate RPGs. Not bad, but so very different. So different that I would consider them totally unrelated to the PC games.

That should be reason enough to vote no.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I don't mind the theory tbh but doing it would take time and resources away from the rest of the game and I want beamdog to be able to focus.
    booinyoureyes
    @wubble that's why I have included the second option for post release updates.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    As long as it can be done well, I would like some Dark Alliance references. Alyth and the Elfsong Tavern appear in both games. It would be a nice nod to the Dark Alliance fans out there, and I don't see a reason not to include minor cameos. Does Beamgdog own the rights to Dark Alliance though? I wouldn't be sad if they didn't include anything, but I did enjoy those games and would like to see references to them. If they do show up as cameos it would be nice if you could kill them and take some of their items (like you can with Drizzt). Karne's mask or Eldrith's sword being two items off the top of my head.