Skip to content

SD card

McCillianMcCillian Member Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Troubleshooting
This may have been answered, but I can't find where. So here I am. How do I move bg:ee or any of the 'ee' games to my sd card?

I am using a Samsung galaxy s4 16gig with a 16gig memory card. No mods, hacks, or any altering of any sort.
Post edited by McCillian on

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    @McCillian Google 'android how to move apps to sd card' and you should find free software for that purpose (Move app to SD card, AppMgr III etc.). I haven't tried these myself (I don't own any EE game for Android) so use at your own risk.
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 51
    Sorry, not really. Move to SD via those utilities puts all of 30MB of these 2+GB games on the SD with Kitkat. Not useful at all. I'm hoping Lollipop's SD management will be able to do better.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Unless your android is Rooted, then you can't. Period. There used to be a "Move to SD Card" button when you go to the App Info, but they took it away. I can't play the BG series because it takes up 2.45GB and my phone just doesn't have the space for it. When I first got it, I tried everything I could to get it installed; Uninstalling updates and deactivating things that I don't use, uninstalling every game, every app, every unnecessary update, ect. ect. and I finally got it to fit, leaving only 0.50 MB on my phone, and yknow what? It wasn't worth it. I took so much out of my phone just to fit this game (I have an Android Razr, btw and a 32GB SDCard that doesn't have a lot on it, currently) and it just wasn't worth it in the end because It took away all my other games. While I do support the purchase and such on these games, the file size makes it impossible to play unless you want to do nothing on your phone besides use the internet, text, make phone calls, and play 1 Baldur's Gate game at a time. So if that's you, good for you, but it's honestly not worth it in the end when you can just pay to put it on your PC and then play it when you have free time.
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 51
    Caedares is referring to a carrier specific customization when saying "move to sd" is no longer an option. There are a lot of razr models and carriers so we cant tell what's exactly at fault there.
    Beamdog needs to set android:installLocation="auto" or better yet "preferExternal" in their code. For these 2.5GB+ games I don't think this is a strange request.
  • ET3DET3D Member Posts: 17
    Sorry for the necro, but that's an important issue. The Google guide says: "The .apk file is saved on the external storage, but all private user data, databases, optimized .dex files, and extracted native code are saved on the internal device memory." That's my experience with most large games, you can move them to the card, but hardly anything moves.

The best game I've seen in this respect is The Bard's Tale, which uses its own loaded, asks you where to load the data, and hardly anything remains in device storage. I don't have much love for custom loaders, but that's a great use for one, so I wish all large games had this option.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Is there any chance at all these games could be played on SD cards at some point?
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Sorry for NECRO but

Yeah, these games need to be transferrable to SD card. I can't buy PST as it won't fit. I can only install 2 games on my 16g tablet at a time, as the OS takes up so much room and copying saves and uninstalling/reinstalling is a chore.
  • OConellOConell Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Is Beamdog changed anything about that ?
    Or is it possible to move the 3gb to thé sd card without root my tablet ?
    Thank's
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    During the 2.5 patch development, we found out that transferring files to an SD card doesn't work nicely with the Infinity Engine. You can only transfer the .exe file there.