Skip to content

Wouldn't Chaotic-Neutral actually be the EASIEST Alignment to RP?

I remember when reading the descriptions of the various alignments, Chaotic Neutral in it's description says:

"This alignment is perhaps the most difficult to play".

I've actually found the opposite to be true, as in most cases CN characters tend to be unreliable at best, or outright insane. This actually allows almost perfect justification for any sense of meta-gaming the PC engages in, and the lack of consistency made by a player in their choices can be explained as a character trait of this particular alignment. You can most readily justify having characters of opposite alignments in the same party, fluctuating reputation from randomly robbing someone blind in one instance, and helping another with their lost kitty the next.

In fact little "roleplaying" is actually needed, as many players who don't actually care to RP their characters tend to use this mindset of "what gives me the most reward?" Little in-story justification needed for their actions, simply do this good deed here, steal from this person there, help this guy then murder him for double reward... so on and so on.

So is it just me or does Chaotic Neutral seem to be the ultimate "I can do anything" alignment? I've enjoyed playing them more than good or evil characters since I never stop to worry if an action would feel "out of character" for my chosen alignment.

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Chaotic neutral isn't just doing what you feel like as a player, though it can be at times. True, you can justify metagaming and taking contradictory paths by invoking the CN alignment but there is more to it than that.

While you can choose to indulge your character's whims this isn't necessarily the same as doing whatever you as the player want. You need to be somewhat consistent as to what your character would be influenced by. A character who goes out of his way to impress any pretty woman, or who consistently breaks the law to acquire shiny objects is more believable than one who does this sometimes but not others.

Playing to alignment you should be at least sceptical of or possibly adversarial to authority figures. I don't see CN and LG party members getting along too well unless one is pretty chilled out (like Keldorn).
  • AklisAklis Member Posts: 11
    What scriver said.

Chaotic Neutral is not a synonym for insane. Here's a good description of some flavours of Chaotic Neutral: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChaoticNeutral
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    Admittedly, I've never put a lot of effort into RPing my BG characters, generally only playing as an absolute paragon of virtue or an amoral villain, but I would say that True Neutral, rather than Chaotic Neutral, is probably the hardest to RP.

There are two main reasons for this. One, unlike say the Fallout series, which offers "neutral" options for many scenarios, the BG series mostly offers two paths: an obviously good one and an obviously evil one. This means that a TN has no natural path but has to flip-flop between choices which he/she finds unnatural. Two, most interpretations of this alignment lead you towards either good or evil choices. If you take it to mean that your character is primarily concerned with self advancement, having little regard for the constraints of morality, then you become drawn mostly towards selfish, i.e "evil" choices - acting more Neutral Evil than anything else. If you take it to mean "following one's personal moral compass above all else" then you end up as a Jaheira: NG or CG disguised as TN. If you take it to mean "ideologically committed to maintain balance" then the lack of "neutral" questing options means you're required to act white-knight heroic 50% of the time and utterly supervillainous the other 50% - essentially like a "crazy" CN character. Presumably the balance-obsessed TN would need either an all-neutral party, severely limiting gaming options, or a party with both good and evil members, creating potentially unmanageable conflicts.

So yeah, I agree that CN is not all that difficult either gaming or RP wise, certainly not when compared to its troublesome upstairs neighbour in TN.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Ah, but therein lies the fun! Some of it anyway. Maybe it's just me.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    jackjack said:

Ah, but therein lies the fun! Some of it anyway. Maybe it's just me.

It's not just you.

I can really be quite wicked when I get the urge.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Bigfish said:

Alignment is a load of hooey.

A statement that is neither helpful, nor warranted, when people who actually understand the alignment system are discussing it.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I often start my evil, god-ascending playthroughs of BG2 by stating that the
    capture/torture events turned the protagonist into chaotic neutral (mad / over-cynical). Then he has some form of self-justification for ditching his former companions, blaming them for leading him into Irenicus' trap. This is why he decides to get surrounded only by seemingly powerful companions with less morales to reach his goal. Spellhold and Hell trials finally make him completly evil.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    CN is actually pretty tough because, as others like @Corvino mentioned, still requires a measure of consistency. Your character still has values and reasons behind their whims, it's just that most of your reasons are focused on the self and things or people you personally care about. This differentiates CN from Chaotic Good, which is very focused on benefiting others, and Chaotic Evil, which is willing to destroy anything, even what it loves, if what it loves stops being convenient, fun, or useful. CN characters aren't wholly unpredictable because, like everybody else, they have preferences and things that push their buttons. A CN character who really loves animals, for instance, would generally not harm them or actively seek to help them, but may not care about helping humanoids who get in similar peril. Caged animals? Unacceptable! Free them! Caged humans? Eh. Probably deserve it.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    True Neutral is a bit closer to what the OP is describing. TN speaks of total moral relativity in many cases: you do what seems most appropriate given the circumstances you are put in, whether that be lawful, chaotic, good or evil: it doesn't matter to you, because you don't subscribe to any of the 4 as an important way to live -your- life. Considering in real life we all make good decisions, as well as reckless, or cruel ones, it's probably fair to say pretty much everybody can relate to playing TN. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't to some degree live their life by moral relativism (even if they don't realise it).
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72

True Neutral is a bit closer to what the OP is describing. TN speaks of total moral relativity in many cases: you do what seems most appropriate given the circumstances you are put in, whether that be lawful, chaotic, good or evil: it doesn't matter to you, because you don't subscribe to any of the 4 as an important way to live -your- life. Considering in real life we all make good decisions, as well as reckless, or cruel ones, it's probably fair to say pretty much everybody can relate to playing TN. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't to some degree live their life by moral relativism (even if they don't realise it).

I agree that TN is easy to identify with as a real-life philosophy, I was just saying it's hard to RP this approach in BG, a game where most moral choices come down to "save the orphans from the burning building" vs "curb stomp a basket of kittens".
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Oh, that reminds me of my first playthrough of Neverwinter Nights. I played a druid, and I think he was somewhat confused that to balance off robbing someone, he needed to save a kitten stuck up a tree ^^. But then he just put it down to humans and human civilisation being weird and nonsensical (he was a grumpy, true neutral druid; young in years but a complete old man "get off my lawn!" attitude).

My CN sorceress is...actually pretty easy going. Mainly I just wanted the cat familiar to be honest, so I formed a character for her after that. I liked to think of her as more quirky and easy going and "free spirited" than a madgirl, however. She generally got a bit sociopathic with wanting people like Keldorn and Rasaad around, and supported Anomen to knighthood. Not necessary as she believed it was the "right thing", but she knew it was what was "right" for them.

To be honest, I usually prefer neutral characters. Sometimes games just seem to want to polarise good vs evil to the extreme (hence stealing from someone vs saving kittens from trees).
  • CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    Great discussion,

CN is the one alignment I have difficulty following. There are so many plot points that involve you doing what someone asks you to. I suppose I could justify following someone else's orders as a CN if it coincided with my own personal gain.

I can't justify spending 5000 gold to get a license to do magic in the streets for a CN even though I get it for just about every other non-chaotic character I have. Forget any Radiant Heart quests. Those Paladins don't know how to live. Skinner quest? Do I have to do something to help Johnny Law? Where do you draw the line?

When you look at the many places you go, a pirate island, the cavern under the sea(sure they are LE but you can smoke em all with no consequences), and the Underdark, Chaotic seems a natural way to be. It isn't until you get to hell that the real paradox begins... (I'm making a thread about this next so I won't get too off topic here)
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    I'm chaotic neutral in real life... Therefore most my bg chars are chaotic neutral. What would I do scenarios? All my characters names were Trav as well... I need to play me, in this universe....
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I dislike all alignments. Play your character as the character and let everyone else decide what kind of person you are. Alignments are boxes that constrain you.

• ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Isn't the modern day hipster a perfect example of Chaotic Neutral?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited August 2015
    My personal take on chaotic neutral character.

CN:
    I'm not doing it.

Random:
    Why not?

CN:
    I see no personal gain or profit from doing it.

Random: but think of all the children that will die if you don...

Cn:
    Not my problem!
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    My primary protagonist in Baldur's Gate and my favorite PnP Char is Chaotic Neutral.

Val'myr (as many know) is a Drow Necromancer. He doesn't care for what other people think and disregards their comments about how his fascination with death magic and forbidden rituals is weird. He does whatever he wants whenever he feels like it. He's also kind, helpful, and an all around good guy if you ignore the crazy blood magic he does. He'd never sacrifice someone else's blood without their consent. Unless they are the enemy. Then you know. They don't need their blood.

He's Neutral because despite his good acts he does shady business when it comes to dark magic and his worship of evil gods. He's chaotic because he follows his own moral compass which often does not align with lawful organizations. He sees why Law is a thing and will follow the law when it suits him. If it's more convenient to follow the law then not then he will follow it. Such as in BGII he'd get a licence because it's more easy for him to cast spells with it than without. He'd also happily follow Alora around stealing from places because it's fun. Honestly he might just be True Neutral with Chaotic tendencies but I always mark him as Chaotic Neutral. He's not random, he always does what he feels is best. It's just what he feels best conflicts with laws a lot.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited August 2015
    My version of CN is someone who can get along with both good and evil characters, and has a preference for helping out friends. For example, Neilah, my CN sorcerer confides in Imoen, yet also considers Xzar to be something of a mentor to her, and she thinks of Montaron as a voice of reason. She inevitably comes into conflict with Khalid and Jaheira, who try to push her towards being a kindhearted soul, and ultimately joins Monty and Xzar against them when the gloves come off between the two pairs.

She sides with Silke when Monty tells her they need the money, then kills her when she finds out that the men were innocent all along (they did indeed possess the gems that Silke had requested). She recruits Kivan, who thirsts for revenge, kills Minsc for going berserk when she turns him down, recruits (and possibly romances) Dorn, and brushes off Rasaad. Xzar and Monty leave after the mines, and she picks up Neera and Kagain in Beregost, becomes fast friends with Neera, then heads to the Bandit Camp. After clearing the camp, Kivan says his goodbyes and strides off into the sunset after Tazok while Neilah's group heads toward the Cloakwood, picking up Viconia along the way. Kagain decides to stay behind at the FAI, and Neilah encounters Coran and brings him along. She completely ignores Eldoth and brushes off Yeslick, then takes that party all the way to Sarevok.

EDIT: at least, that's the current plan. It might change as I go, but that's what being CN is about. :wink:
    Post edited by Nimran on