Skip to content

[Request] Missing multiclass combination from original ADnD 2nd Ed. Player's Handbook: Ranger/Druid

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
Current behaviour:
Certain multiclass combinations from the plain PHB as well as from expansions are unavailable in BG.

I always found it sad, that in most AD&D computer games my favourite multiclass combination ist missing:
The neutral good half-elven ranger/druid. In the forgotten realms setting this is specifically the order of the Shadoweirs, praying to and fighting for Mielikki (the equivalent of Ehlonna in the Realms).
Probably this is due to page 44 "multiclass" only saying "ranger/cleric and fighter/druid", and most readers miss that page 22 (half-elves) says, that they can be ranger/clerics as well as ranger/druids.
Later products (the "complete" classes series - "complete rangers" / "complete druid" confirm this and even add more details, and the FR "Faithes & Avatars" allows those ranger/druids to use longsword and bow in addition to the druid weapons.

Desired behaviour:
Add the missing combinations from the PHB, maybe even those from the "complete classes'" series.

Pleasepleaseplease, can you fill this gap? It wouldn't be difficult to implement and the total incentive for me to completely playtest through BG:EE with such a character :-D (although I just played through Tutu tweaked and are halfway through TOB tweaked).
Post edited by Lunever on
AntonAndreaColomboConphantusTanthalasAkerhonTingelElectricMonkWinthaltenadjcRAM021

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I agree.
    Lunever
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    I agree :)
    Lunever
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Only if they fill the missing Ranger/Mage and Druid/Mage gaps as well.
    LuneverRAM021
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    @Dazzu: I'd like that too. Ranger/Druid just caught my primary attention.
    Only if they fill the missing Ranger/Mage and Druid/Mage gaps as well.
    Seriously? You would deny @Lunever 's request if you can't get what you want? Why not use your efforts positively and instead of raining on someone else's parade make your own request instead.
    Lunever
    Technically, all 3 were in the BG2 manual but never showed up in game. They should all be available, as promised back in my BG2 manual.
    RAM021
    @Dazzu: Thank you for your backup, but, well, it's ok. Essentially we want something similiar - whether both can be done or whether that's asking to much is up to the devs anyway.
    I don't see why I'm being attacked for supporting the addition of classes the manual promised. In any case, I'm still in support, though I'm curious...

If such a class were added, then Druids would have to have the any neutral alignment restriction instead of TN.
    Tanthalas
    Uh, sorry messed up names on that stupid little mobile disply.
    I meant @smeagolheart "thank you for the backup ..."

@Dazzu: I don't think you're "attacked". I have a suggestion. You have a silimiar one. If both are implemented, fine for everyone. If the devs just implement one of them, well, better than nothing. And funny, I only know those multiclass combinations from the original PHB. Where in the manual are they promised? For that would be all the more reason to implement them.
    edited June 2012
    @Lunever
    @Dazzu
    Uh, sorry messed up names on that stupid little mobile disply.
    I meant @smeagolheart "thank you for the backup ..."

@Dazzu: I don't think you're "attacked". I have a suggestion. You have a silimiar one. If both are implemented, fine for everyone. If the devs just implement one of them, well, better than nothing.
    This
    This?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Lunever

I think he meant it as a reinstatement of the quoted text.
    smeagolheart
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

If such a class were added, then Druids would have to have the any neutral alignment restriction instead of TN.
    This is a good point.

Well, I don't see a problem there. Some mods even changed Jaheira to NG because it just befits he better.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Lunever

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for changing the alignment restriction of Druids considering that the only 2 NPC Druids we get in BG1 don't even act as if they were True Neutral. Faldorn should be changed to Neutral Evil too.
    Lunevertena
    Fine - of course its good that someone notices that this needs to be adressed too if the issue should be implemented.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Agreed, I would like to see these missing multiclasses implemented.
    Luneversmeagolheart
    In older AD&D games like those from SSI classes had separate stats an flags and I could just use some memory monitor like the action replay to custom taylor what I wanted to play or try out on the fly (the only class combination that didn't work properly was a mage/solamnic knight :-D ).

But, in BG all multiclass combinations are handled like a separate unique classes and thus have to be implemented fully or not at all. Probably the original reason was just the availability of set quick buttons, and this would get redundant should free button assignment be implemented.

I'd love to see all those wonderful combinations from the PHB p. 22, as well as those from the sourcebooks complete druid's, complete ranger's, complete bard's. If had to choose but one, I'd choose the ranger/druid, if I could implement a new triple class as a logical resumée of the named 3 books it'd be a celtic style or Fochlucan style ranger/bard/druid - maybe even an easteregg tutor that allows your ranger/druid to add bard (as an homage to 1st edition and Elaine Cunningham's AD&D novels "Elfshadow" & "Elfsong" that actually do feature the accordingly named eastern Baldur's Gate tavern).
    RAM021