Skip to content

Demiliches

Does anyone have a strategy for defeating the two demiliches in the Black Pits II?
This is my strategy now:
I have my two spellcasters cast protection from abjuration spells and then Black Blade of Disaster, and have my three archers and my one monk cast Greater Whirlwind and try to beat them up with +4 weapons (Warblade, Mace of Disruption, and Ice Star).
It doesn't work, Imprisonment is SO ANNOYING. ;-;

Comments

• FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure if what I'm about to suggest will help, I haven't played BP yet in BG2.

But apparently Potions of Freedom, anything that gives magic resist, and scrolls of magic protection can help against imprisonment. Can you buy Potions of Freedom in BP2?

Here is what it says in the wiki http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Imprisonment
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited August 2015
    That wiki is wrong btw.. Potions of Freedom only protect against movement impairing effects such as slow, hold or web. Imprisonment bypasses Magic Resistance so that Potion of Magic Resistance doesn't work either. (they shouldn't be able to imprison your monk if it did) Potion of Magic Shielding only works against magic damage, so it actually has nothing to do with Imprisonment.

Here's your protection spell combo: SI : Abjuration, SI : Necromancy/Death Ward and Stoneskin. That should make you completely immune to them. You can also cast Fire Shield Red/Blue to count how many hits they score against you, and recast Stoneskin as needed.

Offensively you can use either Melf's Minute Meteors or Energy Blades with your magic users.

One additional thing you may need is the spell, Freedom. It's a level 9 spell but cost 10x less than the others. You can use all of the scrolls from the shop on this particular fight, you WILL NOT need them again.

As for tactics, focus your efforts on one of them at a time. Traps would've helped a ton but I guess you don't have access to them. Use summons, and quantity beats quality on this one, since even a planetar will just get scooped to a cell. Wand of Monster Summoning would be ideal. Oh, and when they start sniping your party members into Imprisonment, hold your Freedom-spells until only your immune guys are left. Then when you cast Freedom, they'll all be returned to you at once. Rinse and repeat until the Demipooches are done.
    Ok, the wiki is not totally wrong. Berserking would make you immune to both imprisonment and death effects, but as far as I understood, you don't have access to it.

Btw, demiliches are immune to any spells below lvl 9, and they have a huge magic resistance on top of that, so don't even try spells. They also have a 90% or 95% resistance to physical damage so the more hits, the better.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    to get them, it s pretty easy, just buy the club of detonation from the weapon shop and equip it on anyone who has whirlwind, then send all other members as bait in front of that one, and whack the liches with the club
  • MaranMaran Member Posts: 42
    Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Death Ward, and I always go Protection from Evil to be safe. Fire resistance, then **** his face!
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    edited August 2015
    Yannir said:

Ok, the wiki is not totally wrong. Berserking would make you immune to both imprisonment and death effects, but as far as I understood, you don't have access to it.

Btw, demiliches are immune to any spells below lvl 9, and they have a huge magic resistance on top of that, so don't even try spells. They also have a 90% or 95% resistance to physical damage so the more hits, the better.

*party member with 18 strength hits a demilich with a +4 weapon*
    *deals 1 damage*
    WHY ME
    Let me know how it turns out btw! :smile:
    abazigal5 said:

Yannir said:

*party member with 18 strength hits a demilich with a +4 weapon*
    *deals 1 damage*
    WHY ME
    As I said in my short post (because I was short on time) Club of Detonation is very effective against the demiliches because of its on-hit fire damage. Liches are immune to every kind of elemental damage except fire which they do not resist at all. That means any weapon with on-hit fire damage will prove very effective against them.
    Now let's take a look at what works, because a whole lot of weapon deal fire damage but you still need to match the +4 criterion.
    Firetooth the crossbow which you can obtain from the Sahuagin fight works with no ammo or +4 bolts which I believe you can buy when you reach tier 4. No need to waste them though since they change physical damage only and you will still deal 1 damage.
    So does Club of detonation and it is the very best weapon to do that fight since it does a lot of fire damage
    Flail of ages +4 which you can get in the Mardii fight works as well though it is only 1 fire damage per hit
    However, Blade of searing, Firetooth the dagger and all other +3 weapons won't work.

That said, you will just have to buy the club of detonation from the Weapon Merchant and it will trivialize this fight
    Daystar and Flametongue should work also. They are counted as +4 weapons against undead, and atleast Flametongue deals fire damage. Angurvadal would have also worked but you only get it later.
    Yannir said:

Daystar and Flametongue should work also. They are counted as +4 weapons against undead, and atleast Flametongue deals fire damage. Angurvadal would have also worked but you only get it later.

Very true for Daystar and Flametongue. Angurvadal, I thought about it but you get it once you're past that fight which is why I did not quote it.
    For Daystar however I am not too sure whether demiliches suffer magic damage (because daystar deals magic, not fire damage), would have to test it
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    If you have access to Spike traps you should use these, if you're lucky one of them will instantly die.
    The other one i finished off by casting breach, protecting my monk from abjuration and used critical strike (or whatever it's called, the HLA that makes you score consecutive criticals) and finished the other one of.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited August 2015
    Deleted a silly comment.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
    @semiticgod You do realize we're talking about the BP2 demiliches specifically, and not demiliches in general? In this scenario you have to be aware of what you have available. Would have been good advice if we were talking about Kangaxx and the WK-demilich.