Skip to content

[MOD] Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs for BG:EE, SoD and BG2:EE

argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
edited January 2021 in General Modding

Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs

A mod for BG:EE, BG:SOD, BG2:EE and EET that allows you to tweak all Beamdog NPCs.

Download: Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs

Readme

Overview

The new NPCs introduced in the Enhanced Editions differ somewhat from the original cast and might not be everyone's taste. This mod provides a number of options to adapt them to your comfort level. You can make their first appearance more passive, giving you more control over whether or when to make the first contact. A small number of events will be slightly altered to make this possible.

Alternatively it is also possible to simply remove one or more NPCs from the game. In that case you have the choice to make their personal or quest-related items available to everyone in stores or as loot.

Additional components allow you to improve their portraits or customize their classes and/or kits to whatever you desire.

A detailed list of all available components and their descriptions can be found in the readme linked above.

Post edited by argent77 on
MusignyelminsterGrammarsaladJuliusBorisovCaloNordPorcelynFlashburnsmeagolheart[Deleted User]BanArdRavenslightDemivrgvsgorgonzolamf2112thelovebatMercilecblackchimesContemplative_Hamsterproghead3SssiksseilorPermidion_StarkVitorAaeightBaptorAndreaColomboAbelGoldenPantaloonsGrond0AdiaMiraStastnyKharadorbob_vengAaemforever

Comments

• WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2015
    Great.... :D
    I think, I'll never use it, but what about Wilson? :p
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    edited August 2015
    Excellent mod. Can we get this for BG1, BG2, and BGT too? ;)
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    billbisco said:

There is no need for a BG1, BG2, and BGT version... ;)
    smeagolheart
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    argent77 said:

I have put together a small mod that allows you to disable individual or all of the new Enhanced Edition NPCs for BG:EE or BG2:EE (and EET). I'll release it properly on SHS Forums eventually when/if the site comes back online.

Download: DisableEENPCs-v1.zip

From the Readme:
    [spoiler]The new characters introduced in BG:EE and BG2:EE are not for everyone's taste. Their character style differs greatly from the vanilla NPCs. Moreover, in several cases they are trying to force themselves into your party without you having a chance to ignore them. Some of their attached quests are also very difficult to solve without resorting to powergaming tactics. This mod allows you to disable all or individual Enhanced Edition NPCs. Since the NPCs have only been disabled, it is theoretically possible to reactivate them again later by uninstalling the respective subcomponent(s) of this mod (if you have chosen to disable them individually), or all at once. Components: 1. Disable Enhanced Edition NPCs (BG:EE, BG2:EE and EET) 1.1. Disable all NPCs <- disables NPCs all at once 1.2. Disable NPCs individually <- see below The following components are only available when selecting subcomponent "Disable NPCs individually": 2. Disable Baeloth (BG:EE and EET only) This component prevents Baeloth from spawning in BG:EE. (Black Pits are not affected.) 3. Disable Dorn (BG:EE, BG2:EE and EET) This component prevents Dorn from appearing in BG:EE and BG2:EE. 4. Disable Hexxat (BG2:EE and EET only) This component prevents Hexxat and related NPCs from appearing in BG2:EE. 5. Disable Neera (BG:EE, BG2:EE and EET) This component prevents Neera from appearing in BG:EE and BG2:EE. 6. Disable Rasaad (BG:EE, BG2:EE and EET) This component prevents Rasaad from appearing in BG:EE and BG2:EE. [/spoiler]
    Any chance for a component that gets rid of the NPC's (say, as joinable) but allows one to complete the quests?
    JuliusBorisov
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited August 2015

but what about Wilson? :p

I can do it, but I don't think that it's really necessary? Unlike for all the other NPCs you'll have to do some work to get Wilson into your party.

billbisco said:

Sure, why not? The best part about it is that I don't have to add any code for these games to remove Dorn, Neera and company :p

On a serious note, I don't plan to disable any of the vanilla NPCs. They are much more tightly integrated into the games and disabling them will surely break compatibility with many NPC-related mods.

Any chance for a component that gets rid of the NPC's (say, as joinable) but allows one to complete the quests?

This sounds like a huge task, as I'd have to rewrite major portions of the quests. It'll most likely cause incompatibilities with other mods as well. I'll look into the quest-related code, but chances are rather slim that I'll do something like this.
    Grammarsalad
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited August 2015
    @argent77
    Major props to you for coming up with something like this!

I absolutely loathe both Dorn and Hexxat, and how they force themselves on the player.

On the flip side, Neera is passable, Rasaad is actually interesting, and I absolutely love Baeloth.

This is all my subjective opinion, of course, but your work will positively impact my games from now on.

Just one questions: what are the chances your mod will mess something up, and break the game? :P
    Porcelyn

Just one questions: what are the chances your mod will mess something up, and break the game? :P

They are probably very low. The new EE NPCs were designed to be modular because they have to be purchased separately for the mobile versions of the games. This mod merely prevents them from appearing/spawning in the respective areas.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Love it. I personally have no problems with any of the EE NPC's but many do and more choice for the players is always something to be embraced! Well done my good sir! :)
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @argent77
    Got it.

Thanks again, sweet mod! ;)
    argent77 said:

This sounds like a huge task, as I'd have to rewrite major portions of the quests. It'll most likely cause incompatibilities with other mods as well. I'll look into the quest-related code, but chances are rather slim that I'll do something like this.
    Understood. That occurred to me after I posted... But, I figured, why not ask
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    The fact that you can get rid of Hexxat alone makes this a great mod. lol
    Flashburngorgonzolaineth
    The mod can be found on Spellhold Studios. First post has been updated.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited August 2015
    any chance of an additional component that leaves the npcs there but changes scripts so they don't ambush you?

Instead of jumping out at you and forcing you to pay attention to them, they just stand around until you talk to them.
    bob_veng
    It might not work for every NPC (e.g. Neera's cutscene in BG2 can't be avoided and Baeloth's appearance in BG1 would lose its charm if he merely popped up to stand around idly in the middle of nowhere), but I can probably add such a feature to the mod.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    any chance for recycling some of the npc's quest content? some of the new areas are okay (particularly the red wizards' enclave in the promenade), shame to let them go to waste.
    Grammarsalad
    edited August 2015
    argent77 said:

It might not work for every NPC (e.g. Neera's cutscene in BG2 can't be avoided and Baeloth's appearance in BG1 would lose its charm if he merely popped up to stand around idly in the middle of nowhere), but I can probably add such a feature to the mod.

to be honest, I haven't played with the new NPCs or the EEs in general, mostly just messed with them to ensure compatibility with mods.

I did see Neera or whatever accost you in beregost and the one girl in the bar in BG2. I assumed they mostly were like that where they force you to start dialogue. I've never seen Baeloth's appearance so I don't know how it goes. If he's got some cutscene maybe just leave it or just spawn him there standing around instead of that.
    @smeagolheart It'll work well for BG1 Neera or BG2 Hexxat. Everyone else is either already passive (Dorn, BG1 Rasaad) or uses cutscene'd events to introduce themself, which is probably difficult to change.

@bob_veng I'd rather not do something like this. It would create all kinds of problems if you decided to reactive that particular NPC later on. A feature like this is probably more suited for a tweak pack or a NPC expansion mod.
    @argent77 iirc those scripted cutscenes are on the area scripts. They check for a variable and if it hasn't happened before, it fires the cutscene. Wouldn't setting the cutscene variable to 1 on those area scripts circumvent the forced cutscene?

Just put the guy or girl there and add a blurb of dialogue instead. "Hi want me to introduce myself?" or something and if you say yes it plays the cutscene? Again, I'm not real familiar with the scenes so I don't know how involved they are. Alternatively, you could just have them say "hi I'm Gnoober and I'm running from two guards" or whatever instead of playing the cutscene with two guards.
    It is possible, but probably very immersion-breaking, because the cutscene content is also referred to in some of their dialogs. I could make Rasaad's BG2 introduction less involved. Changing the BG2 Neera introduction is more difficult though.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    argent77 said:

@bob_veng I'd rather not do something like this. It would create all kinds of problems if you decided to reactive that particular NPC later on. A feature like this is probably more suited for a tweak pack or a NPC expansion mod.

i see...
    the thing is that by removing the npcs, you also remove all of the new quest content associated with them, and the thing that people mind the most is the intrusiveness of the npcs and their dubious dialogue and storylines - but the new areas and the new encounters (and some new items...), i think, for most people, are enjoyable. so from my perspective it can be seen as something relevant to your mod.

it would be *awesome* to have some of this content be made detached from the npcs. a lot can be reused to create "normal" quests. if this was to be a component of your mod, you could just inform people not to reactivate ee npcs.

but i get that you might not be interested; it would still require a lot of work.
    Grammarsalad
    Yes, it would definitely be a challenge since the quests (and areas) are so closely connected with the new NPCs. It may also introduce compatibility issues with other mods and visiting some of the areas would probably be hard to justify (e.g. Lunia). But maybe there is a way for a few selected areas...
    GrammarsaladDjinn
    argent77 said:

It is possible, but probably very immersion-breaking, because the cutscene content is also referred to in some of their dialogs. I could make Rasaad's BG2 introduction less involved. Changing the BG2 Neera introduction is more difficult though.

I may have to actually play the darn thing and see for myself lol. I'd look for a way to trigger the cutscenes through dialogue if that wouldn't be too odd.

Hi my name's so and so want to hear my story?
    - Yes

"Ok well.. Wait who is that guy and how did he find me here?" (yeah I don't know what happens in the cutscenes.)

edited August 2015
    argent77 said:

Yes, it would definitely be a challenge since the quests (and areas) are so closely connected with the new NPCs. It may also introduce compatibility issues with other mods and visiting some of the areas would probably be hard to justify (e.g. Lunia). But maybe there is a way for a few selected areas...

The thing that bothered me most is that the new quests, areas, etc. required that you take new npcs into your party
    Well, adding new or modifying existing dialog content is out of the questions, since I'd have to provide translations for (at least) three different languages. The only feasible option is cutting as much content as possible without hurting the general story line. It's probably doable for Rasaad, but I don't see a way to reduce Neera's content without it feeling awkward or incomplete.
    perhaps volunteers could translate into other languages. You probably wouldn't have to create much. Just "Hello I am ______________ (Neera). Wait who is that?" and then kick off the cutscene.
    Grammarsalad
    edited September 2015
    Couldn't you do a thing like have them say stuff like. I need to do this. Join me? No? Okay, I'll meet you there. And then open the area, Nalia like.

And then just have the NPC show up at the right time, like Imoen in BG 2 like, to say whatever they need to say, using the same dialog(?)

I mean, people in the game often just walk up to you and offer a quest anyway, right?
    JuliusBorisov
    Actually, my wife speaks fluent Spanish. She is working on degree in Spanish focusing on translation, plus she is certified in medical translation. I could probably get her to do a Spanish translation for you
    JuliusBorisov

perhaps volunteers could translate into other languages. You probably wouldn't have to create much. Just "Hello I am ______________ (Neera). Wait who is that?" and then kick off the cutscene.

Yes, that might work for Neera.

For Rasaad's introduction I could cut a good portion of his intro cutscene and remove the cutscene effect to make it as unintrusive as possible. Afterwards he could wait near the Waukeen Temple.
    smeagolheartGrammarsalad

Actually, my wife speaks fluent Spanish. She is working on degree in Spanish focusing on translation, plus she is certified in medical translation. I could probably get her to do a Spanish translation for you

@Grammarsalad Thanks for the offer. There are already a few lines that can be translated into Spanish. I have reduced the new content to a bare minimum.
    [spoiler]// Neera @1000 = ~Hey there! Don't I know you from somewhere?~ @1001 = ~Huh? What's this?~ // Rasaad @1100 = ~Please excuse me. I'm in a hurry.~ // lines for setup (don't use special characters if possible) @1 = ~Disable all NPCs~ @2 = ~Disable NPCs individually~ @3 = ~Make all NPCs passive~ @4 = ~Make individual NPCs passive~ @10 = ~Modify Enhanced Edition NPCs~ @101 = ~Disable Baeloth~ @102 = ~Disable Dorn~ @103 = ~Disable Hexxat~ @104 = ~Disable Neera~ @105 = ~Disable Rasaad~ @106 = ~Make Baeloth passive~ @107 = ~Make Hexxat passive~ @108 = ~Make Neera passive~ @109 = ~Make Rasaad passive~ @200 = ~This component requires either BG:EE, BG2:EE or EET to be installed.~ @201 = ~This component requires either BG:EE or EET to be installed.~ @202 = ~This component requires either BG2:EE or EET to be installed.~ @203 = ~Component "Disable NPCs individually" not selected.~ @204 = ~Component "Make individual NPCs passive" not selected.~
    [/spoiler]
    Grammarsaladsmeagolheart
    argent77 said:

@Grammarsalad Thanks for the offer. There are already a few lines that can be translated into Spanish. I have reduced the new content to a bare minimum.
    [spoiler]// Neera @1000 = ~Hey there! Don't I know you from somewhere?~ @1001 = ~Huh? What's this?~ // Rasaad @1100 = ~Please excuse me. I'm in a hurry.~ // lines for setup (don't use special characters if possible) @1 = ~Disable all NPCs~ @2 = ~Disable NPCs individually~ @3 = ~Make all NPCs passive~ @4 = ~Make individual NPCs passive~ @10 = ~Modify Enhanced Edition NPCs~ @101 = ~Disable Baeloth~ @102 = ~Disable Dorn~ @103 = ~Disable Hexxat~ @104 = ~Disable Neera~ @105 = ~Disable Rasaad~ @106 = ~Make Baeloth passive~ @107 = ~Make Hexxat passive~ @108 = ~Make Neera passive~ @109 = ~Make Rasaad passive~ @200 = ~This component requires either BG:EE, BG2:EE or EET to be installed.~ @201 = ~This component requires either BG:EE or EET to be installed.~ @202 = ~This component requires either BG2:EE or EET to be installed.~ @203 = ~Component "Disable NPCs individually" not selected.~ @204 = ~Component "Make individual NPCs passive" not selected.~
    [/spoiler]
    I think I could definitely get her to translate this! I'll get her some chocolates or something!