Skip to content

If BG3 is ever made, would you like Edwin to be present as...

ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
BGToB ending reveals that a battle with Elminster leaves Edwin as a female (Edwina) permanently. In Baldur's Gate 3 (let's hope there will be one), how would you like to see Edwin?
  1. If BG3 is ever made, would you like Edwin to be present as...126 votes
    1. The "original" male Edwin
      15.08%
    2. Polymorphed into female Edwina
      45.24%
    3. I don't mind as long as this NPC is in the game
      19.05%
    4. I don't want to see him/her in BG3
      20.63%

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Edwina is a bitter, bitter woman. :)
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Maybe a quest wherein he needs help to get rid of his Edwina form?
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    In my opinion, It would be nice to start the story with Edwina, with an interesting quest to change her back to Edwin later on. With that, his/her faith would be in the hands of the protagonist...
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Yeah, I want Morrigan in the game.
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 13
    He has to be, but thenn again veronica needs to be there too! i always had to laugh at their dialogs. :D
    MrOrange said:

He has to be, but thenn again veronica needs to be there too! i always had to laugh at their dialogs. :D

@MrOrange Who is Veronica?
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 13
    @Scofield aah sry i meant Viconia =)
    @MrOrange Oh I see.. : )
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    My main fear is that we won't see such original characters like Edwin, Jan, Minsc and boo, Xan, Xzar and montaron, Haer Dalis...

Those weren't your cliche Hollywood Mass effect NPC, or Dragon age party member.

They had something crazy in them that really gave them this charm.

I don't want to see those cheesy character that we see in modern games, even the ones that people usually consider good (cheesy Sheppard...).

Today's games go to far in terms of character's depth, and each time that transform them into boring psychologically insecure people, even the crazy and evil one.

If they create a BG 3, I want them to make crazy, weird character. Not just on the surface : deeply evil, deeply lunatic. No psychological bullshit, I want real psychos, real lunatic, real megalomaniac.

So yeah, I want to see a lot of guys like Edwin, Jan, Haer, Minsc, Xzar, Yoshimo...
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    In short I don'T want to see any SERIOUS reason or explanation behind their foolishness. No explanation : they are simply like that. Don'T transform them into psychological novel's character.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @GueulEclator
    In regards to ME I really likes Garrus as a character.
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    I mean i don't mind if edwin is in BG3, if he is I would prefer him as a girl. However, I feel that BG3 should introduce many NEW characters. And from all of the feedback that is on this forum, we should get some pretty QUALITY characters for BG3. ....that is if they make it ;)
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I don't want any NPC from the other two in BG3. It'd be blatant fan service, and really take me out of the game.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    If he shows up, it should be as Edwina, and only as a cameo (the bartender of one of the inns you can rest at... a "blink and you miss it" kind of thing).
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I'm pretty confident Overhaul is capable of coming up with new, cool and interesting NPCs. Why not let them? For a new game with a (hopefully) new storyline I'd like new characters.

That said I wouldn't scream and explode if Edwin(a) did appear in a BGIII though.
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2012
    "What can I get you pretty lady?" - Barkeep
    "STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT, WORM! (like that fat idiot could get a woman as ravishing as me)" - Edwina
    "HEY!" - Barkeep
    "(I think my period started) I... I mean feel the power of the arcane, weakling!!!" - Edwina
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    Edwin deserves respect...
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I want him to have somehow managed to change himself back into a man, only to be turned into a woman yet again at some point during the game.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Same as Minsc he just doesn't belong in BG3. I mean what would he be a Level 32 Wizard? Yeah that's balanced.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I left him as bear food out side the Gnoll fortress for a reason.
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    Maybe his mutilated remains with a sign that says "I used to be an irritating weasel until I took an axe in the face".
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Any which way. I don't care if it is as Edwina (and a possible quest to return him to his former self) or as Edwin himself.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    It isn't actually that I don't want to see Edwin or any other NPC from the BG/BG2 reappear per se, I just think it highly unlikely that the story construction will allow it.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    If BG3 is made I would prefer a new plot with new NPCs. It would be nice if some of the originals were mentioned in passing - had taverns named after them or were the subject of scurrilous legends - but I think their story has come to an end.

Having said that, I do like @Jarlaxle 's idea of having Edwin appear as a Lich. He's got just the right personality for it. And if he was cursed to spend eternity as a female lich it would be even better.
  • mibblesmibbles Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    I think a brief run-in with a descendant of Edwina could be amusing.

EDIT: EDWIN/A THE LICH IS A-OKAY IN MY BOOK.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Jarlaxle said:

I want Edwin, the LICH.

I totally support this idea!
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I like Edwin. If he /must/ be in the game, then I'm fine if it's a cameo as Edwina, like in DA:O. But I posted a few months back about how I feel about BG3. If they're going to use this namesake for the purpose of sales on a new BG game, at least try to do everything else to make it it's own game, rather than leeching off everything that made BG the game it was. I want them to do something NEW on the Infinity Engine, but clinging to the name BG does little to inspire any idea of change or newness. It's an attempt to replicate an already-perfect game, which I fear will end in disappointment.
    Just create a whole new Infinity Engine series! New name, new possibilties, less insurmountable expectations!
    *rant off*
    @recklessheart,@Permidion_Stark,@Lemernis It seems to me that you don't want BG3 to happen at all, at least that's my impression based on your comments. I guess you would love to see a new D&D game with a completely new storyline, NPCs, game engine etc.

To me Baldur's Gate is a brand, and its story, characters, style of gameplay are all part of the game itself, these make BG what it is. I believe if the developers were to make a new game with the name "Baldur's Gate", it has to have all the important elements of this brand (even if improved or vastly changed). I'm not talking about Edwin in particular, but "Baldur's Gate" as a feeling in general.

For instance, how would you feel about Icewind Dale 3 in an environment without snow, ice or some places like Kuldahar? These are only a few things that separate IWD from BG and make it a unique experience.
    What about a movie like Rocky VI without Stallone and boxing, featuring Jason Statham as a leading actor in a role of an MMA fighter with a 2-minute scene when Stallone sells hot dogs in Brooklyn?

I've loved Baldur's Gate from the first time I played it, and when I finished BG1 I wanted to continue the adventure. When I heard about BG2 I was really excited to see how the story would continue and what new places, quests and characters it had to offer. While I found playing BG2 to be something different from BG1, it was obvious that I was playing the same title. That's the feeling I'm hoping for when (if) I get my hands on BG3...

If it would be a completely different game that has nothing to do with the first two, I would be extremely disappointed, because that would mean an end to the best adventure RPG game I've ever seen.

It's just my opinion, so don't take it personally!
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I understand your point of view, @Scofield. What I would argue is that the best adventure RPG game I've ever seen has already ended. EE's are one thing, but an attempt to continue a story that concluded itself long ago is futile and unnessecary to me. I love BG so much, but I'm happy to let the story of the protagonist of BG, BG2 & BG:ToB end with ToB.

I'd love Overhaul to create another Infinity Engine game, and - yes - a completely new storyline, and new NPCs. I don't want it to try and follow-up ToB, and I don't want it to be called Baldur's Gate. Clinging to such a tremendous RPG title will only set the game up for disappointment. I don't want to return to the same places, doing the same things, fighting the same foes. That was the biggest blunder of IWD2. I didn't want to trapse the whole way back through Dragon's Eye (the most tedious Infinity Engine dungeon in the history of the planet). IWD2 is a wonderful game, but my passion for it dies quickly because the final few areas of the game are the first few areas of it's predecessor: Been there, done that.

My point is, Overhaul are already taking a huge risk with an EE. I like the idea. But it's not pretending to be anything other than an attempt to enhance an already-fantastic game. 'BG3' should be an entirely new story, a new setting, with new characters, otherwise it's just going to be a re-visitation of the things that have already recieved enough love from the BG fanbase, and it'll invoke the same thoughts as IWD2 did (in my opinion), and I would never want that to happen to BG.

So, my argument remains; if BG:EE is a success, I'll be so happy. But from that success, Overhaul should then decide to do something new for the Infinity Engine. Create a whole new epic story for people to fall in love with. Don't try to improve upon what is already the best RPG game in RPG history, because I highly highly doubt they can, and that is not to underestimate Overhaul's capabilities at all!