Comments

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    please no animu portraits in IWD..
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I say 2
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    2 it is..
    I've uploaded a new version, link is in the first post.

Changelog:

v1.03 13 Dec 14
    - Updated 36 portraits
    - 7 additional portraits added
    - Changed hoster
  • Frank the tankFrank the tank Member Posts: 8
    I am very keen to use this mod for my upcoming playthrough of IWD EE. Unfortunately, every time I download the zip file from the link provided, I receive an 'incomplete', presumably corrupt file which does not unrar itself properly and is unusable.

Could you give me any insight into this? I am fairly sure the issue isn't on my end.

Thanks!
    edited January 2015
    Hi @Frank the tank

I just downloaded it myself and had no issues. The site hosting this, spellholdstudios, is a major mod hub for Baldur's Gate and it has been around for many years hosting many mods.

There have been 130 downloads of the mod and no one else has reported any issues and as I say I was able to just download it myself. Can you try again? Maybe use a different browser? Sorry to say but I am afraid the issue must be on your end.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i really liked that portrait you have for oswald but the colors looked strangely washed out and his skin was way too pink so i "remastered" it a bit
    thematically, all the portraits are great, but some stand out because they have a monochrome background or don't look that good when viewed small, or they have a strange skin tone etc so i'm going to try to make them look more even... should i bother?
    @bob_veng PM sent..
  • Frank the tankFrank the tank Member Posts: 8
    Okay, issue fixed. For some reason, Chrome hates me. Firefox complied though.

Thanks! Gonna slap this on after work. :D
  • emperorsfistemperorsfist Member Posts: 8
    Hello. I downloaded v1.04, but the zip file is damaged. Repairing the archive in winrar doesn't work.
    edited May 2015
    @emperorsfist
    i can extract it without getting errors, how's it damaged?

Hello. I downloaded v1.04, but the zip file is damaged. Repairing the archive in winrar doesn't work.

suggest trying to download again.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited May 2015
    @smeagolheart I have to put the entire folder (which is downloadable from the link in your original post) in the "portraits" folder of the game to get the portraits? I can't see the .bmp files....
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Ok never mind, I managed to find them

suggest trying to download again.
    Hello again. I re-downloaded the mod many times (even with different browsers), but whenever I try to extract the archive, WinRAR gives me a "unexpected end of archive" message. The file is circa 22 megabytes big, is that correct?
    @emperorsfist
    it *has* to be some obscure issue on your end :confused:
    you can try:
    - reinstalling winrar
    - unpacking with 7zip - http://www.7-zip.org/ (it's open source)
    - downloading the file to a different device and/or different network, unpacking it on that device and moving the contents to your computer

maybe you should also be aware that there are viruses that corrupt downloads and that damaged files can result from bad sectors on your drive.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Playing with this mod now, definietly recommended
    bob_veng said:

@emperorsfist
    it *has* to be some obscure issue on your end :confused:
    you can try:
    - reinstalling winrar
    - unpacking with 7zip - http://www.7-zip.org/ (it's open source)
    - downloading the file to a different device and/or different network, unpacking it on that device and moving the contents to your computer

maybe you should also be aware that there are viruses that corrupt downloads and that damaged files can result from bad sectors on your drive.

Sorry to bother you again, but I'm at my wits end with this. I have tried 7-zip, but it just says that it "Cannot open Setup-MinorNPCPortraitsforIWDEEv1.04.zip as archive". I have also tried to download your mod to my laptop, which has different Windows and open it there. Both WinRAR and 7-zip report the same errors. I have downloaded other mods from the site (like Scales of Balance) and they work fine. I don't know where I could be making a mistake...
    @emperorsfist I just downloaded it from the first post ( links to http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1103-minor-npc-portraits-for-iwdee/ ) and unzipped it fine. I have izarc and winrar installed as my decompressors.
    @smeagolheart
    we resolved it via pm. i just sent him another archive. really strange.
  • reriggerrerigger Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Sorry for the dumb question, but what folder should these be placed in?

I downloaded the zip file and placed it in my Documents/Icewind Dale/portraits folder, but the NPC portraits still do not show (even when I start a new game). I have tried all kinds of combinations of moving the folder around, copying just the bmp files into the portraits folder, and still it is not working.

I am sure this is a problem on my end, but I clearly do not know what I am doing. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I found my issue. For any other novices out there, I reinstalled the program into the folder where my icewind dale application is, and then I ran the exe file.
    Post edited by rerigger on
  • maplejarmaplejar Member Posts: 23
    Can someone please post a link to DL this mod from another location since SHS is down? Thanks in advance!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @maplejar - SHS is back!
  • maplejarmaplejar Member Posts: 23
    @AstroBryGuy Thanks for the heads up!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    First of all, awesome mod idea, gonna use it in my next playthrough.
    Second, there is a thread for IWD style portraits, I am sure you'll be able to find something fitting for your mod there: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/17117/icewind-dale-style-portraits
    that's a nice thread, there are some good ones in there

however, this mod is now complete and is not being worked on (afaik) :smile:

as i see it, the goal was to make the portraits fit with the characters thematically and with another in terms of visual feel, but not necessarily to be very IWD-like, because it wouldn't have been a realistic goal. IWD has a very specific, stark mood that can't be replicated without doing some real art, especially for "civilians" (commoners, children etc.)

i've gotta say...really like it :smile:. i've only recently finished the whole game with it, and at some point i really forgot that i have such a mod installed.
    but if someone has specific but also somewhat more extensive suggestions (as opposed to "pls replace pic x with pic y") and gets smeagolheart's attention, i suppose it could be updated.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Well, I haven't had a closer look at the mod yet (I just started a new BG run, no time for IWD currently ;) ) so if you haven't done so yet, it might be a good idea to include a list with all the filenames for each character's portrait, so that if people want to, they can simply throw their own desired portraits into the override folder.
    @Buttercheese Hi just noticed there'd been a few posts on this thread. There is no list sadly of characters to portrait names, there is instead portrait names to actor names which is not quite the same thing. Basically if you can find an NPC name, that you would CLUAConsole the actor in the game, then there is a list with that name and the portrait name.

In the tbl folder there is iwd.tbl.

There's a list with the creature(actor) name and the second column is the portrait name from the portraits folder.

Example:
    hroth.cre hrothgar

This can get a bit tricky because hrothgar shows up later as hroth1.cre as well. Myself and bob_veng tried to capture all those situations though.