Skip to content

Windows 10 Game Lag

Getting serious lag in game, any suggestions on how to fix this? I know windows 7 had the compatibility function that acted like older versions of windows. Can't seem to find this in windows 10.

Comments

• Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    Updated my drivers and the game is working much better, still getting some lag. Might have to do with the steam overlay.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    It's probably gonna be weird for awhile as drivers catch up. For my part I have sound issues with my drivers... a waiting game. :)
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    I have Windows 10 (release) on the computer hosting the BG series.
    No issue with BGEE and the forced upgrade of the Intel driver I use.
    This being said, I second @BelgarathMTH 's view about the OS.
    The windows update system is entirely changed. There are still a few options to deactivate the driver updates and optin/optout hidden updates but I think that the current system will create major compatibility issues for many users. In the name of security you lose more and more control on your own OS. And aesthetically, even 8.1 looks nicer...
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I thankfully had no issue with Windows 10 using my Titan X graphics card. But I'm going to guess that much older hardware likely will have some issues as graphics drivers catch up. It's not really an issue with the game so much as a hardware driver issue. A laptop I use for performance testing (it's about the same performance as the average tablet) laptop probably wouldn't even be suitable to install Windows 10, but, if it was, it probably wouldn't be of any benefit given that Intel hasn't updated the integrated graphics drivers in almost three years.

My only suggestion on how to fix it, would probably be to go to either Windows 7 or 8 (or Linux). In lieu of that not being an option, wait it out. It's not great, but there's not really a lot in the way of alternatives.

BTW, if you go to Windows 10, it comes with a completely new version of Internet Explorer that doesn't look or work anything like the older versions that I've gotten used to, so you have to learn completely new browser controls and settings if you use IE.

Good job I almost exclusively use Firefox or Chrome/Chromium, no issue for me there. :-)

I tried Spartan/Edge during the Insider Preview, and I honestly couldn't see anything it offered that would make me switch from my current set of browsers. If I had friends, or was perhaps a little more social, I might use the annotation feature. As it is, I am content to take a screenshot of a site and annotate my own way—if even necessary.

In my opinion, Windows 10 is still better than Windows 8/8.1. Instead of there being Windows 8/8.1 and then Windows RT, it is now a single operating system which means a little less hassle for a developer, but the chances of me using it on a permanent basis is slim. I'll stick to Windows 7 for another year or so on my primary desktop, and see how Windows 10 does along the way.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Windows 10 does feel a bit "beta-like", in the sense that it was released and people are encountering a lot of bugs (Edge in particular causes no end of frustration with just trying to move tabs between monitors). The foundation is strong, though; definitely try and get Windows 10 drivers for your hardware, but once your software is up to date it runs pretty smoothly.

I never experienced Windows 8, but coming from Windows 7 I can see the framework being a solid evolution. I already like it more than 7, despite its issues.

But then, my primary workstation is a Mac, so Windows isn't something I depend on for day-to-day tasks. :)
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    I'm using a GTX 980, once I updated my drivers things started to play much better. Been playing BG:EE and NWN2 today, both have been working fine. Had to turn off the Steam overlay for BG.
  • TarkinTarkin Member Posts: 4
    I'm having a problem since updating to windows 10 where I cannot save the game. Every time I try I get the "save successful" message but there is no save file. New saves, auto-saves, and quick saves all show they save but when I go to load a saved game they just aren't there. The last saved game I have was from the day before I did the update. I can't find any saved files on my system other than the pre 10 install files.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    @Tarkin, do you have Public folders on your system? Are they there?
    Only ones there are the pre-update saves.
    I just don't think it's saving at all. Even if I save, then immediately go to load that save, it just isn't there.
    Other than this, the game plays absolutely fine.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I have this too - for some reason all my personal folders are set to read only and I can't seem to remove it.
    edited August 2015
    @Tarkin @decado, if it's read-only, then you can fix it via the command line.

Launch the command line as Administrator:
    • Press Start ⇒ Windows System ⇒ Right click Command Prompt and press Run as administrator.
    • Or right click Start and press "Command Prompt (Admin)"
    Go to your /Documents/[game]/ folder by using 'cd'. Example:
    cd "C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
    Then use the following command:
    attrib -r /d /s

If, for some reason, the files and folders are still owned by your original account—in the case of upgrading from Windows 7 or 8/8.1—then you'll want to use the takeown command; e.g.

cd C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\ takeown /F . /R /D y
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Thanks @Troodon80, however whatever I try (including the above) the Read Only lock on all folders persists. I'm at this point doing a fresh install of Windows 7...

Oddly enough I didn't have this issue until I set up OneDrive.
    Yeah, still doesn't work for me either. I refuse to do a fresh install, lol. Not again!!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Ye gods, this thread is making me glad that I rejected Windows 10 on sight for my newly-purchased Windows 8.1 computer! Making games work is always the very last priority for Microsoft, when they release all of their totally unnecessary new operating systems about every four years.

They eventually get there with gamer-friendliness, but only after they've gotten their vampiric profit off of the world of business, usually after they're about to release the *next* new, totally unnecessary "upgrade".

Talk about "planned obsolescence".

Even my newly purchased WIndows 8.1 computer, after I tried and rejected its included "free upgrade" to Windows 10, after about ten minutes of seeing that it was not compatible with my new computer's graphics card interfacing with my HDTV, is trying to throw Microsoft Network (MSN) in my face, at full screen, with no visible means of closing it. Thank the gods I know how to get it off my screen and out of my face by pressing alt-F4, because it wants to hide *all* of my computer controls and force me to spend time with it trying to get control of my computer back. Heck, I'd go so far as to call MSN a stinking *virus* on my computer at this point.

At least Windows 8.1 is running most of my old games *sort of* efficiently at this point. (Still can't get NWN to run at anything higher than 800x600 res).

I *hate, hate, hate* Microsoft, even as they force me to find various workarounds to their problems that they keep throwing at gamers in order to milk profits from naïve businesses who feel that they *must* have the latest versions of Windows, (that is, every four years or so), in order to stay in business. Those businesses actually have a point, since Microsoft does everything in its power to make sure that businesses cannot stay connected if they don't have the most recent version of Windows and Internet Explorer.

Microsoft is an evil, evil, evil monopoly, I tell you. I've spent most of my life as a computer gamer finding workarounds to their evil, evil, evil moneymaking, snake-oil selling schemes.

But, alas, I'll keep doing it, for love of the games I want to play, that worked perfectly well on Windows 95, and Windows 98, and Windows XP, but not on any other operating systems after that, unless I re-buy those games on Gog.com, or Steam, and keep rebuying computers that have the latest Microsoft operating systems, and internet browsers.

Ye gods, this thread is making me glad that I rejected Windows 10 on sight for my newly-purchased Windows 8.1 computer! Making games work is always the very last priority for Microsoft, when they release all of their totally unnecessary new operating systems about every four years.

They eventually get there with gamer-friendliness, but only after they've gotten their vampiric profit off of the world of business, usually after they're about to release the *next* new, totally unnecessary "upgrade".

Talk about "planned obsolescence".

Even my newly purchased WIndows 8.1 computer, after I tried and rejected its included "free upgrade" to Windows 10, after about ten minutes of seeing that it was not compatible with my new computer's graphics card interfacing with my HDTV, is trying to throw Microsoft Network (MSN) in my face, at full screen, with no visible means of closing it. Thank the gods I know how to get it off my screen and out of my face by pressing alt-F4, because it wants to hide *all* of my computer controls and force me to spend time with it trying to get control of my computer back. Heck, I'd go so far as to call MSN a stinking *virus* on my computer at this point.

At least Windows 8.1 is running most of my old games *sort of* efficiently at this point. (Still can't get NWN to run at anything higher than 800x600 res).

I *hate, hate, hate* Microsoft, even as they force me to find various workarounds to their problems that they keep throwing at gamers in order to milk profits from naïve businesses who feel that they *must* have the latest versions of Windows, (that is, every four years or so), in order to stay in business. Those businesses actually have a point, since Microsoft does everything in its power to make sure that businesses cannot stay connected if they don't have the most recent version of Windows and Internet Explorer.

Microsoft is an evil, evil, evil monopoly, I tell you. I've spent most of my life as a computer gamer finding workarounds to their evil, evil, evil moneymaking, snake-oil selling schemes.

But, alas, I'll keep doing it, for love of the games I want to play, that worked perfectly well on Windows 95, and Windows 98, and Windows XP, but not on any other operating systems after that, unless I re-buy those games on Gog.com, or Steam, and keep rebuying computers that have the latest Microsoft operating systems, and internet browsers.

Tell us how you REALLY feel about Microsoft. :smile:
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    @BelgarathMTH

I think that's probably the biggest reason game developers really want to move off of PC and develop exclusively for consoles. Sure, the uniform hardware in consoles are an obvious advantage, but I think it boils down to more of what you have outlined in your post.

I've read a few articles that are of the opinion that Windows 10 is the death throes of a dated genre as it tries to keep up against competition with tablets. I feel personally that if the PC is dying, it's more than just tablets that are killing it.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Belgarath - Microsoft do an awful lot to support games when they upgrade their OS. While I don't have any recent quotes, this is from the long-running blog of one of the Windows developers:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2003/12/24/45779.aspx

Most relevant quote:
    "For Windows 95, my application compatibility work focused on games. Games are the most important factor behind consumer technology. The video card that comes with a typical computer has gotten better over time because games demand it. (Outlook certainly doesn't care that your card can do 20 bajillion triangles a second.) And if your game doesn't run on the newest version of Windows, you aren't going to upgrade."

Gamers experience matters to Microsoft. The big problem is that games developers (and software devs in general, if we are honest with ourselves) don't like to follow the rules. If MS document that functions can be called only in a special way, but the game dev notes a faster way that breaks the rules, they will typically break the rules. The customer notices when MS come out with their next security upgrade that breaks the trick the game-dev was relying on. Then MS find themselves on the hook for breaking their OS and making it vulnerable to exploits again, in order to run those games, as the public do not see the bug in the game code.

New OS releases tend to highlight this by impacting lots of software at once. On the bright side, you won't have to worry about Windows 11! Windows 10 is officially the final release! It will see annual upgrades though...

(BTW, it is Windows 10, rather than 9, in order to continue supporting old games that did not check the Windows version in the documented way...)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If game developers are moving away from PC toward consoles, I suspect it has less to do with Windows and more to do with hardware. A PS4 will only ever have one (possibly two) hardware configuration; same thing with the XBOX One. So when you're developing and testing a game for those two platforms, you only have to test two hardware specs.

The same game on Windows, in order to achieve the same level of stability, has to be tested on a million possible hardware configurations. Most developers don't have a million different hardware setups at their offices (because if they did, the QA hardware cost alone would measure in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and "ain't nobody got [budget] for that"), which means they have to guess at what configurations they want to test to give their game the best chance of success.

And that's assuming your chipset is from Intel; if you're getting pieces of your rig from other companies that are less well-known, it's pretty much guaranteed that the studio testing your game doesn't have your chipset. The developer is then on the hook for not testing the game on whatever obscure hardware you picked up, or specifying specific brands of processor in their system requirements.

...Then Windows 10 comes out, and legacy Intel processors don't get drivers for it, and suddenly anyone with that processor can't play games that worked fine before the upgrade. And you see most of the people experiencing that issue blaming the game developer (for making a game that no longer works), or Microsoft (for releasing an operating system that breaks games), or Intel (for not supporting the new operating system on their legacy hardware). Very few people take the time to consider that maybe their system's hardware is too old for the upgrade. (Of course, when Microsoft forces the upgrade even when you tell them you don't want it, that's a different issue.)

Console development is a cakewalk, by comparison. You know exactly what hardware your customer is using, which means you can push the limits of that hardware and still know exactly what needs to be tested.

To be honest, I'm surprised more developers don't target Mac OSX; there's a fraction of the hardware configurations, and Apple doesn't offer upgrades to the new version of OSX if your hardware can't handle it--meaning that a developer can require a specific version of OSX and know exactly what the "minimum" hardware specs are.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2015
    I imagine a lot of people who buy macs don't do so with the expectation for gaming. So there might not be enough market for a lot of exclusive games for it.

That said these days there is still quite a bit of selection when it comes to playing on a mac. I can play maybe 1/3 of the games in my steam library on my mac. So services like Steam have made it a much more convenient thing.

But yea, when you think of all the combinations available for PC's these days (I'm running a 7 year old computer for instance) you can't really cover everything.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'd like to add that tablets are not anywhere near killing desktop computers. It's a tendency of tech journalism (and to some extent, the industry) to speculate (or to fear) whether tech X is going to kill tech Y when it almost never happens - unless we're talking about a giant leap, like going from vinyl to CDs to MP3 (and its equivalents) or VHS to DVD and then to HD streaming.

Tablets are great for casual use or as a less cumbersome alternative to a notebook when you're on the go. But when it comes to productivity, nothing has ever got on the way of sitting on a desk and getting shit done. Desktop computers will change, touch/voice input may become an integral part of usage and keyboards may even become holographic or obsolete or whatever, but I don't think we here on these boards are going to live to see a future without desktop devices as opposed to just less of them.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2015
    I believe the driver situation will be fully solved in six months or so. Anyway I have to agree Windows 10 is a very solid base, but one that Microsoft could afford to wait a little more to release.

Anyway with the insane amount of variations of hardware Windows has to run on it would be unrealistic not to expect some problems.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    PC Gaming has been "dying" since the 90's. ;)
  • Hi Camus34,

It's sad to know you experience serious lags while gaming in Windows 10. I hope the following tips and tricks work for you.

As default, Windows is set to run with additional startup programs and services. This results into higher CPU usage and your computer lags. Keep an eye on the number of services running in background and stop those which you really don't need. You can do so by following the steps published in this article:
    http://www.deaconillustrated.com/2015/08/27/windows-10-freezes-here-is-how-to-stop-this-madness/

Next thing, keep your Antivirus and security software disabled while playing games. This can make a great deal as real-time protection and scheduled scans are being conducted without user's attention.

I hope I helped you. Thank you !!