Skip to content

Hidden doors **non-storyline spoilers**

I'm playing BG for the first time, and I just made it to the sixth chapter. In my group I've got my paladin and all of the canonical party members. In the last chapter, Dynaheir was able to learn the spell Knock. Paraphrasing the spell description, it says Knock can be use to unlock chests and doors, and also to find hidden doors. It just dawned on me that I haven't run into any secret doors as of yet. I'm a completionist, so I like to uncover the entire fog of war on any map I visit, so I know the lack of finding hidden doors is not because I'm rushing through the game.

So I guess my question is, how do I find a hidden door? Is there a "search" skill that I haven't come across, like detect traps is a skill? Or, does finding a hidden door just sort-of happen? Imoen's a straight thief, so she has 100 in detecting traps and picking locks, and she's the one I send out to do initial searches in dungeons, and I still haven't found any secret doors. I also wouldn't mind if someone gave me the location of one hidden door so I can see how finding it works, I would appreciate it.

(Before I hit post, now that I think about it, I may have found a hidden door in the Nashkel mines ... I remember an entire doorway lighting up. But I had Imoen scouting for traps, so it may have been a trap. But any advice would still be helpful.)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    You can find secret doors without any spell or ability. Some races (e.g. elves) get a bonus to finding secret doors, even if not a thief.

You have a 5% chance per round of finding a secret door, unless you're a dwarf or elf, in which case they get a 20% per round. Thieves using find trap, use their find trap score instead.

The Knock spell has no effect on this. It's just a wrong description. You know, a lot of BG spells has descriptions from D&D and they have nothing to do with the actual game mechanics.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am attempting to think of a hidden door in the early part of the game but I am drawing a blank.

The first one I can think of is in cloakwood. If you are not there yet, I won't spoil anything.

Hidden doors will glow purple and traps will glow red. As Bengoshi said, a thieves detect trap doubles for finding secret doors.

The knock spell is good for containers and doors you are unable to pick (that dont require a special key). It is the mage replacement for the Thieves Open Lock skill.
  • LghtngfanLghtngfan Member Posts: 16
    deltago said:

Hidden doors will glow purple and traps will glow red. As Bengoshi said, a thieves detect trap doubles for finding secret doors.

Ah-ha! Then I have found a secret door ... If I recall, I was in one of the mines and I did happen across a purple field. (I won't go into anymore detail about the location ... but I figure it's not a spoiler to say that secret doors are most likely to be found in dungeon-type areas.) At the time, I thought it was just a larger trap.

Thanks to both of you!
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    deltago said:

I am attempting to think of a hidden door in the early part of the game but I am drawing a blank.

The first one I can think of is in cloakwood. If you are not there yet, I won't spoil anything.

The first one I can think of is in Gullykin.

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Secret doors that I can think of:

Gullykin (halfling house + temple)
    Durlag's Tower (basement)

Are there any more?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Grum said:

Are there any more?

There are plenty, but the OP asked for spoiler free.
  • LghtngfanLghtngfan Member Posts: 16
    deltago said:

Grum said:

Are there any more?

There are plenty, but the OP asked for spoiler free.
    Well, I did mention I would like one spoiler because I wanted to be able to directly go to one to test whether I could actually "see" the secret door. But if you look at my later response, I did realize that I had actually found a secret door without realizing it. (I thought the purple field was just a larger or more dangerous trap when I initially came across it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded. I'm really appreciative of the help.