Skip to content

Would You Rather: A new Icewind Dale game or an equivalent game in a different setting

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
I've heard people clamor for a new IWD game for a while now on this forum, but I've also heard from a select few (such as @kamigoroshi ) say they would like to have a game similar in style but with a new setting.

Just wondering what the general feeling was around here when comparing those two options or maybe someone doesn't care for either.
  1. Would You Rather: A new Icewind Dale game or an equivalent game in a different setting33 votes
    1. Icewind Dale 3
        9.09%
    2. New Setting
      87.88%
    3. NO (insert Grumpy Cat face)
        3.03%

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Icewind Dale III would certainly make more sense from a developer point of view. Beamdog already aquired the rights for that Intellectual property after all. And doing just "mere" overhauls of older games with said rights would be rather contraproductive.

But still... proposing a new IP of isometric games that possess fresh, never seen before settings sounds very tempting to me. Whenever it may feature the less known continents of Toril (Maztica, Zakhara, Kara-Tur, Osse, ect.), or a whole different campaign setting unrelated to the Forgotten Realms (I look at you old guys, Spelljammer & Planescape). Either way, that would be a reason to get excited!

If given the choice between both possibilities, I'd be more inclined to buy something which I haven't seen before in an cRPG yet.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Different is better!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Endless possible settings! Say no more, hamster friend, you have my answer!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Eh... I should have differentiated between "Another FORGOTTEN REALMS setting" or "Another setting entirely". Would have made a more interesting comparison... looking at the results this was a poor poll
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    Dark Sun!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I'd love to adventure in other lands of the Forgotten Realms.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited August 2015

looking at the results this was a poor poll

Maybe the results should be quite telling for the Devs if they look here...
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    I voted New Setting, but I would like to see Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape: Torment made into Enhanced Editions as well.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    When we say "similar in style", what element of Icewind Dale's style are we referring to? The IWD games have a number of unique qualities.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2015
    Dee said:

When we say "similar in style", what element of Icewind Dale's style are we referring to? The IWD games have a number of unique qualities.

Something similar in background artsomeness would earn some hefty points in my book. :)
    Visiting another geographic region was also a nice touch in Trials of the Luremaster. So an Icewind Dale III could, for example, certainly make me want go hiking to the highest point of the Great Glacier. Or do a kajak tour through the Sea of Moving Ice. Just visiting completely different places and enjoy its natural beauty would be nice. Bit of non-linear world exploring and all.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I would just want it to 2e. Would be odd for IWD3 to move back to 2e.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I would like a new Forgotten Realms game to have a lot of lore and history within it. Something like in BG, with all of the history books that you find everywhere. I love to acquire knowledge about the world itself as well as the background behind the story, so some of that would be nice.

That's just my humble opinion, however. I won't say that this NEEDS to be done.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Dee said:

Hi @Dee . When I said it I meant it in the ways that IWD is different than BG. A more linear story, primarily dungeon crawling or wilderness exploration, without recruitable NPCS and a great amount of detail going into the artwork & background and especially high effort going into making challenging and unique battles.