Skip to content

Faerie Dragons - The Basilisk's natural predator?

So, I recently noticed that the Faerie Dragon familiar that a mage can summon is immune to petrification. It seems to me that you can save on castings of protection from petrification and Flesh to Stone scrolls by just taking your little dragon buddy out of your backpack and have it maul a lizard 10 times its size to death and not worry about its safety at all.

Or am I missing something here?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Abilities of different familiars vary (check the last post here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/624076851133308903/?insideModal=1#c611696927926442784) , but the Faerie Dragon is indeed immune to petrification.

Another option may be using a Spirit Snake or a Spirit Wolf by a Totemic druid who's at least of the 3rd level, they too get an immunity to Petrification, so you can automatically go hunting Basilisks without problems.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Unfortunately Baslicks can also just bite, they don't always use a gaze attack. They are not very good at straight up fighting, but are probably stronger than a faerie dragon.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited August 2015
    Of course, you can also back up your dragon with weapons and spells if you need to.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Skeletons also work wonders against them. Immune to petrification, hit hard and last for 8 hours. Ideal.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Skeletons also work wonders against them. Immune to petrification, hit hard and last for 8 hours. Ideal.

You can also use Tiax's summon ghast ability to create a meatshield against petrification too.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    The Basilisks east of Nashkel can easily be handled by Korax while you still need Protection from Petrification for the Durlags Tower ones due to transition spots. The only other Basilisks that I can think of are in the Docks and under Candlekeep at which point you should have plenty of options to manage them (skeletons being the easiest and most readily available IMO).