Skip to content

Why do women play Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    scriver said:

I doubt the artist had more than a short description/concept to go by, and he likely did not have any particular knowledge of DnD or FR, let alone relatively obscure stuff about Rashemen. Probably just "large berserker warrior with a hamster".

that rather depends on the artist and why they get into this type of art. I am sure that there are some artists out there that could give any one of us a run for our money as far as lore and background in Forgotten Realms because they got into art FOR the game.

Don't know about this particular artist though, just saying as a general statement, beware of making general statements.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Baldur's Gate 1 artist was Mike Sass (OOC mmm... sassy! ;) ). Not sure about BG 2.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I'll be honest. I always got the impression they did the portraits first then the characters. This is why Viconia is a drow but looks nothing like one. They had a portrait, thought "That could be a drow" and went with it.
    Fardragon
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    I'm sorry but do we finally have an answer to the question in topic??? It's important, to me, to know why I play Baldur's Gate, since as a lowly female I should only play The Sims
    Brer_RabbitlolienSkatan
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Almateria said:

I'm sorry but do we finally have an answer to the question in topic??? It's important, to me, to know why I play Baldur's Gate, since as a lowly female I should only play The Sims

I assumed the answer was obvious, "Because these games are radical!"
    I'm not sure if there is a 'Definitive' answer to this one other than the fact that they are fun.

In a recent trip to GEN CON, one of the largest Gaming Conventions here in the US, I did an informal survey. I determined that the male/female ratio at the convention was something on the order of 55/45 and that there were people there from all ages and demographics and walks of life. Pretty much 99% of the people were there because they wanted to go and not because they were 'dragged there by someone else'. Well, that's not 100% true. Several people that I met WERE dragged there but were so glad that they had been because they were having a BLAST. This survey included women in almost equal measure to the men and children.

At the end of the day, I'd stand by this answer. Why do women play games like Baldur's Gate? Because they are FUN and women like to have fun as much as men do. The right sort of brain/personality will always enjoy role playing and video games that you have to think about but that ultimately offer an entertaining experience. And that 'right sort of brain' is not in any way limited by gender or race or nationality or age.
    Son_of_ImoenSilverstarBrer_RabbitSkatan
    or that.
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by the_spyder on
    BelgarathMTH

Almateria said:

To seduce Anomen. Duh.
    Anomen is actually gay, but not out of the closet.
    That's why all of his dialogues are insanely awkward
    Silverstar
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Almateria said:

since as a lowly female I should only play The Sims

This is incorrect.

You may also play the Hello Kitty games.
    Brer_Rabbit
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Woah there cowboy. You start giving women rights and soon they will be able to vote!
    mlneveseElrandirlolienSkatan
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511

Almateria said:

since as a lowly female I should only play The Sims

This is incorrect.

You may also play the Hello Kitty games.
    Or Candy Crush. ;)
    mlnevesethe_spyderBrer_Rabbit
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Barbie Horse Trainer.
    mlnevesethe_spyderBrer_Rabbit
    Or Hillsfar.

Or Hillsfar.

HAH!

Though, I just now actually own it so I'm not sure what's so bad about it.
    the_spyder
    Vallmyr said:

Or Hillsfar.

HAH!

Have you actually tried playing it at all?

Vallmyr said:

Or Hillsfar.

HAH!

Have you actually tried playing it at all?
    Not yet, is it that evident that it's terrible on start-up?
    Just try it yourself and you decide. Make sure that you "Load" one of your characters from Pool Of Radiance. That will add continuity for you.
    @BillyYank - try her out on Pillars of Eternity and/or Wasteland 2. Either of them should open the door for Baldur's Gate and other IE games.
    JuliusBorisov

Just try it yourself and you decide. Make sure that you "Load" one of your characters from Pool Of Radiance. That will add continuity for you.

WELP
    I TURNED IT ON.
    NEVER AGAIN.

It's not particularly bad but certainly not what I was looking for.
    the_spyderBrer_Rabbit
    @Vallmyr - kinda figured that might be your response. But I hesitate to make qualitative statements about other's relative enjoyment.

I actually played the game for several hours before giving up on it. I remember getting it and thinking that it would somehow bridge the games Pool of radiance and Curse of the Azure bonds. When it failed to do that for me, I was pretty disappointed.

It wasn't technically a failure (that I am aware of), but it was not the role play experience that I was looking for in that series. Anyway, glad you at least tested the waters.
    Yeah, I definitely do want to play through the entire thing but it will be after I finish everything else. I want to try and eventually beat all of the games I bought in the Forgotten Realms Archive-thing.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

@BillyYank - try her out on Pillars of Eternity and/or Wasteland 2. Either of them should open the door for Baldur's Gate and other IE games.

She absolutely loves Wasteland 2. I bought it for her last birthday.
    JuliusBorisovthe_spyderSilverstarlolien
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    I'd answer the question again, but I'm busy making sammiches and not making eye contact with the computer screen...
    NonnahswriterSilverstar
    BillyYank said:

My daughter doesn't play IE games because she thinks they're old fashioned.

She plays Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Saints Row, etc...

Your daughter sounds like a cool girl
    NonnahswriterSilverstar
  • kristaokkristaok Member Posts: 51
    I'm a woman and I've been gaming for like 20yrs, I don't understand what you're trying to say... Yes the games do require high concentration, I'm curious as to what you mean about that, are you saying women are too dumb to play???
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Let the thread die already, jeez.
    NonnahswriterTeflon
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Come on, everyone knows that all 'women' on the Internet are actually guys who like to role play a little too much.
    iKrivetkoSquireTeflon
This discussion has been closed.