Skip to content

defeating mindflyers

With the original version, it was easy for me. trow a frew cloudkills close door and wait.
But now they are magical resistant?? When you attacked with improved invisability they still couldnt see you, now they do :( Any tips? their brain devouring eats up my team.....

Comments

• demon9675demon9675 Member Posts: 30
    Use skellies! They're immune to Mind Flayer status effects, I believe. Keep them in front while you spellcast/shoot from behind. Seriously makes a huge difference.

Like @semiticgod said, using Chaotic Commands and raising Int beforehand will also help.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Skellies just get exploded by mindflayers if you are using SCS.
    As far as killing them goes, they can't dispel so you just need to buff a melee with pots of genius, improved haste etc
    Very easy to do with Korgan since you don't even need to bother casting chaotic commands.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Potion of genius, stoneskin and chaotic commands. Oh,make sure you haste a strong fighter, too. High AC helps a lot.
  • demon9675demon9675 Member Posts: 30
    RedWizard said:

Skellies just get exploded by mindflayers if you are using SCS.
    As far as killing them goes, they can't dispel so you just need to buff a melee with pots of genius, improved haste etc
    Very easy to do with Korgan since you don't even need to bother casting chaotic commands.

Good to know. I'm just playing vanilla; wasn't sure what OP was playing.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    demon9675 said:

Use skellies! They're immune to Mind Flayer status effects, I believe. Keep them in front while you spellcast/shoot from behind. Seriously makes a huge difference.

Like @semiticgod said, using Chaotic Commands and raising Int beforehand will also help.

Yeah I like to use Skeleton Warriors and Mord. Swords to take them down. Haste them up and they can generally take out most of a room by themselves.

On my current Berserker/Thief I just do hit-and-run backstabs while enraged and it's pretty effective too. Just don't get cornered or you could be in trouble.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    yup, also keep in mind that the lower your Intelligence score is - the faster they will eat your brains. That said, send only your most intelligent warriors to combat them if you don't have any distractions like summons or something.

Riderat
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Best way I've found is to summon a few invisible stalkers and haste them. Mindflayers seem to have a lot of trouble with them.
  • Greenstone Amulet (which can be found in the Beholder City) will also protect a character. Also, the domination and stun effects are both Save vs. Spell, so if you can buff that save up high enough (easier with shorty saves), you can make a character effectively immune.