Skip to content

Adding too many things to BG:EE/BG2:EE.

2»

Comments

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

SionIV said:

And what the hell was going on with the C/R change? Everyone preach that you can change the INI file or mod your game to get it back, I ask why you removed it to start with?

It was a bug. The devs in control of the engine finally manage to (and cared enough to) fix the bug. Bioware never bothered to do patches for bug fixing le this. Not only did Beamdog fix a longstanding bug, they added an .ini option to play the old way, going out of their way just for the benefit of players like you. In my book, that makes them pretty classy.
    Agreed. You might as well be complaining that the cloudkill wands no longer ignore magic resistance. Bug got fixed. Glad to see it!

• Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
    edited September 2015
    I like the Improved AI/GUI that will come with SoD but there are some changes i wouldn´t like if beamdog make those changes.

1. The IWD EE Version of ADHW. Who wants ADHW when it´s not partyfriendly?
    2. The IWD EE Version of Animate Death is also really crappy.
    3. That HP Bar i turn off. I am not playing World of Warcraft or something like that^^

Buffing Druid and Bard would be n1 i think. But to far away from the original is something i wouldn´t enjoy.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Personally I think that creating the Black Pits and especially the Black Pits 2 has helped Beamdog a lot. I'm sure we'll see the results of this in SoD. Judging by the devs' comments about difficult fights in SoD, I think they've used their experience from the Black Pits.

Also, a lot of lines in the Black Pits were fun and well written. I think that they've tested something with characters while creating the Black Pits and we'll again get the results in SoD. The fact that one NPC in SoD is from the Black Pits 2 confirms this to me.

And in the end, if they decide to make a new game, for example, some kind of IWD3 (which has a big focus on good interesting fights), the experience from the Black Pits will help.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Wayniac said:

Dee said:

shawne said:

They're not "forcing" anyone to do anything, though. You can't have the cake and eat it too: the EEs are Beamdog's version of BG, with all the changes and modifications that that implies. And no one is obligated to buy/play them if they don't want to - the trade-off being that yes, you're going to need the older version. It's a question of what you value more, your choice of modifications or whatever mechanical upgrades Beamdog have made.

I never understood this idiom. Why would I want the cake in the first place if I can't eat it? And why does it have to be a cake? What if I'd rather have pie?
    I used to be in your boat, my friend. The idiom, although poorly worded, is telling you that after you eat the cake, you no longer have it. You can't have your cake, eat it, and still have it.

It's actually often used incorrectly. People often times use it to basically say, "Get over it, you can't have everything your way" but it is supposed to be used to say, "You can't simultaneously have two things that are incapable of existing at the same time."

Having your cake and eating it too, in this case, would be owning both BG and BG:EE... so, yes. Yes, you can have it and eat it too.

Wanting your child to become a strong young man (or woman) while simultaneously wishing they would never grow up and move away is a better example.
    I believe that "have it your way" is exemplifies by the cake-- everyone loves cake (or pie, or fruit if you're not into sweets. Bacon.), and everyone wants to have cake, but you can't eat the whole cake and then have it in your hands. Its really about greed-- kinda like, "You had your piece, now sit down and shut up before I shut your cake hole for you."
    :)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    It need not be about greed, though. @Wayniac 's example is a perfect illustration of that. Sometimes people want two scenario that cannot simultaneously exist for greedy reasons but sometimes for noble or altruistic reasons (like the parent in his example). The idiom is really about not being able to have two mutually exclusive scenarios at the same time.

In a BG setting, it would be like wanting simultaneously to savor your fond memories of the game while also wanting to experience it for the first time. You can only have one of those scenarios at any given moment in time.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    @Kilivitz I for one really liked the new movies and was a bit sad when they did not give BG2:EE the same treatment. Although they could have done a better job making sure none of the movies were cut.

Knowing a lot of people feel strongly about this, it would have been nice if the movies had a toggle switch to pick between new and old.