Skip to content

I am starting bg2ee

My character from bg1 is a level 8 elven fighter with katana proficiency true neutral any tips or hints?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Go for the eyes :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    1. Don't forget to gather your party befory venturing through the quests.

You need a thief, a mage and a cleric at least.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    The best Katana you'll find is dropped at the end of a pretty tough battle on the east side of the temple district so whenever you feel like your party is feeling tough head on over there and grab it.

Get at least a point in Scimitars and 3*** in Two-Weapon style and grab Belm +2 from the Druid Grove asap. Your damage will skyrocket.

Buy a gem case from Ribald in the Adventure Mart, a Scroll Case from Bernard in the Copper Coronet, and a Potion Case from the top of Watcher's Keep to make inventory management a lot easier. Also there's an ammo belt in the first level of the keep but the fights against the Mists in there might make it a bit tough to grab early on.

There's a secret door in the City Gates tavern that a lich is behind. The lich himself can be a tough battle but if you send a hasted thief inside he can unlock the chest and grab the Daystar longsword which has an activated ability that can make fights against undead a lot easier.

Save a Diamond, a Beljuril, and a Rogue Stone. The first two are used to upgrade the Horn of Valhalla, and the latter is used to enter the twisted rune challenge.

There are other tips but those are the best ones I can think of off the top of my head.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015

a Potion Case from the top of Watcher's Keep to make inventory management a lot easier.

Roger the Fence in the bottom part of the sewers under Temple District sells one of those as well. Easier to get to than watcher's keep IMHO.
    UPDATE : Incorrect, it's only there with bgtweaks mod installer. Sorry for the confusion!

Building on to what @sparrow13x said:

EDIT2: Added spoiler if someone don't want to see this.

1. There's an excellent shortbow easily accessed directly after you get out of the dungeon which gives 3 ARP, the tuigan bow, if you have any bow users or ever switch to ranged with your CHARNAME.

2. De'Arnise keep is often considered the easiest first stop outside Athkatla. You can do it pretty much directly after the dungeon. Just bring some fire arrows and a bow or load up a few scorchers/flame arrows for your mages.

3. If that's your thing, you can steal from alot of merchants with the aid of potions. You can first steal potions and then consume them to get even better at stealing, then steal items/scrolls etc. Be aware though that it can off-set the difficulty balance and make the game very easy. Your choice.

4. Jan Jensen is a great companion if you like his banter's. Can be collected directly after the dungeon in the middle of the Government district.

5. Anomen is a good F-> cleric and can also be collected directly. He's quite annoying though, hehe..

6. Aerie can be collected very easily directly out of the dungeon in the circus tent. It's a very easy quest.

7. Bring more arcane power in BG2 than in BG1. Having more haste/dispel/slow/etc makes life easier.

8. Don't rush the main quest. Take your time, do side quests in athkatla and outside. There's no hurry. To each his own though of course, but this is my advice.

9. There are a couple of fairly easy party vs party battles you can do go get decent starting gear and some experience:
    * Waukeen's promeande - den of seven vales (second floor), here's a decent battle but which can be completed normally with proper buffing or you can bait enemies one and one by going up and down the stairs etc. You choose.
    * The top of the sewers offers a fairly difficult battle if you rush into it unprepared, but with a bit of baiting and/or proper defenses up, it give ie a great flail (which Minsc will find useful) and some other gear.

Post edited by Skatan on
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Skatan said:

a Potion Case from the top of Watcher's Keep to make inventory management a lot easier.

Roger the Fence in the bottom part of the sewers under Temple District sells one of those as well. Easier to get to than watcher's keep IMHO.
    Are you sure about that, @Skatan? I've never found one there.

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015
    joluv said:

Skatan said:

Are you sure about that, @Skatan? I've never found one there.

I actually tried to google it to make sure before posting, but didn't find any site listing his inventory in BG2EE, but I am fairly sure I bought one from him in a playthrough not long ago. I'm at work now, so I can't double check. I will try to check it tonight when I get home and update the thread if I was incorrect. Or maybe someone more knowledgeble will answer in between.

Update: I googled some more and realized it's a mod that adds a potion case for Roger the fence. I had forgot that.
    [url]https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/28150/bg2ee-add-some-potion-cases-to-athkatla[/url]
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited September 2015
    Go solo, or duet. Duet, with a Mage/theif(Jan) You are covered 100%. Plenty of healing potions, churches/temples on every block, rings of regenerations, cloak of the sewers, etc etc.

Parties are for fools, and only serve to do 3 things.

#1 steal your XP
    #2 get in your way, physically and with moral/immoral decisions.
    #3 Get themselves killed
  • demon9675demon9675 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2015
    Soloing's fun if you want a challenge, but for more casual players like myself rerolling and assembling different parties is its own reward.

Would be tough to solo with just a fighter, so I agree with @T2av on a duet with Jan (or Imoen) if you're pursuing the party-less route. Although, there is something to be said for swarming enemies with 6 party members + summons and bludgeoning them to death.

My tip if you've never played BG2 is to spend a lot of time doing sidequests in Chapters 2 and 3, as the extra EXP helps hugely later on.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    Soloing isn't much of a challenge in the vanilla game, in a lot of ways it's easier because you get all of the experience and gear to yourself and don't have to micromanage a handful of characters. I actually find it's easier most of the time.

That said, I wouldn't play solo my first time or even my first few times. Grab as many party members as you can and see how they interact with each other. Do as many quests as you can, learn as much as you can about tactics and so on. It'll make your next playthroughs a lot more fun.