Skip to content

[Mod] Glitch after final battle; nothing happens when I'm given my choice

ANOFANOF Member Posts: 70
edited September 2015 in Troubleshooting
I beat Melissan and Solar shows up to give her speech, but after she gives the line, "This is where your destiny is realized and your future begins", nothing happens. Solar just stands there. You can't initiate any talking with her. Melissan stays where she fell and you can attack her again, but she can't die.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    If it happens every time, please zip and attach a save as close as you can get to the end for inspection.

& also advise what platform, store, patch level, mods, etc.
    Thanks
  • ANOFANOF Member Posts: 70
    I'm using Windows 7. The game was purchased from Beamdog, and I'm using the latest patch. I've also attached the file that lists what mods I'm using.

Thanks in advance.
    Your save plays through in an unmodded game. Maybe her death script has been modified, or something like a weapon or spell effect has interfered with it (e.g. similar to having silenced her).

If you have the console enabled, try killing her by using Ctrl/Y. If that works, you may be able to narrow it down by changing weapons.

(my assumption is you have some modded weapons as three characters are using fists for me)
    edited September 2015
    Ctrl+Y doesn't work. I shall try disposing of all weapons not available in the vanilla game before entering the final battle to see if that works.

Well, that did not work.
    Post edited by ANOF on
    You may be stuck @ANOF unless you finish the game in an unmodded install. Assuming you have a few gb to spare you can copy an install elsewhere and then re-install a clean version.
    How do I copy an install elsewhere and then re-install a clean version? Are there a step-by-step instructions you, or someone else, can give? I don't want to risk messing things.
    Hi @ANOF there are a few ways to do this but a clean install would be my suggestion.

From the Beamdog launcher, right-click BGII:EE and then left-click "Open game location"
    Windows Explorer should then activate with the BGII:EE folder (00783) selected
    Rename the folder (to e.g. 00783 modded)
    Scroll down to find the 00783.beam and 00783.status files
    Delete those two files.
    Close and restart the launcher.

BGII:EE should then show as not installed, and can be re-installed.
    You would need to navigagte to or create a shortcut to the 00783 modded\baldur.exe to use it
    JuliusBorisov
    edited August 2018
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but extreme frustration has set in because, not only has the problem returned, but it has done so in a manner that makes no sense.

After I updated with the latest patch, making a clean installation, I added some mods, although not as many as before; I was looking to avoid recreating whatever issue it was that had caused the original glitch. And it worked, because I played through the game twice, once with a party made up of NPCs and once with four created characters and a couple of NPC's, and the final scene of the game played out with no problems.

Yet I've just got to the end with another game, and the glitch returned. I did not make any changes to the game since my previous playthrough; my previous game ended, I waited a few days, and started a new game. There seems to be no reason for this glitch to have returned. Yet it has.

Other than making yet another clean install, does anyone have any idea what is going on? It's incredibly frustrating for this glitch to have returned, especially in this manner.

I replayed the final save from my last game, to see what happened, and that game glitched too. When originally played, there was no issue.
    I have found the cause of the glitch, and it's down to the Nephele NPC mod.

I did a clean install, and I then installed the mods I wanted in the order suggested in the Compatible Mods List post. After each mod was installed, I replayed the final battle with Melissan: I was able to do this because the saved games had remained. After each replay, the final scene played out exactly as it was supposed to, with my character able to make their choice. That is until I installed Nephele, at which point the glitch was back; I beat Melissan, Solar gave her speech, and then nothing happened.

It's good to have found the cause of the glitch, but it would be even better if the precise reason for the glitch occurring could be determined, especially as this problem could occur for others.

To that end, I have attached both my WeiDU log and a zipped copy of my save file, with the Nephele NPC mod installed, so that people knowledgeable about such things can figure out what the issue is.
    edited August 2018
    Disregard.
    Post edited by ANOF on
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    It appears that the Nephele NPC mod alters the final solar dialog where you say in order to interject a comment from Nephele. However, the mod doesn't seem to check if Nephele is actually suitable for dialog using IsValidForPartyDialog(), like all the other NPC interjections here. I can only assume that the game is trying to have Nephele speak here, and since she isn't in the party the dialog link is invalid and the engine ends the dialog. I would guess if Nephele was in the party the solar dialog would work as intended.
    ANOF
    Bubb said:

It appears that the Nephele NPC mod alters the final solar dialog where you say in order to interject a comment from Nephele. However, the mod doesn't seem to check if Nephele is actually suitable for dialog using IsValidForPartyDialog(), like all the other NPC interjections here. I can only assume that the game is trying to have Nephele speak here, and since she isn't in the party the dialog link is invalid and the engine ends the dialog. I would guess if Nephele was in the party the solar dialog would work as intended.

Thanks for figuring out what the problem could be. For my last playthrough, I did meet Nephele, but I didn't bring her into the party because I already had Viconia and Anomen. Could you tell if the glitch was triggered because I met Nephele and didn't bring her into my party? Or would it have happened regardless of whether or not I had met her? It seems strange that this issue doesn't appear to have been seen before.
    I'm pretty sure the glitch would occur whether or not you encountered Nephele before. The condition that triggers the Nephele interjection always evaluates to true, if I'm understanding it correctly.
    This may be talking about the issue I'm having;

shsforums.net/topic/58251-tob-solar-problem/

But I don't know for sure because almost everything they're saying reads like a foreign language to me.
    edited August 2018
    Yep, that thread is indeed detailing the same exact error you are having. Apparently the Big World Fixpack has a fix for the issue, though it must be installed before you install all other mods (with all of your other mod files present in the game directory) in order to work.

It's not really meant to be used on manual installs (though it can); it's meant for internal use by the BWS installer (here).

If you want to use the fixpack manually you basically extract all of your mods into your game folder, run the Big World Fixpack, then install all of your mods like normal.

Edit: The fixpack cannot be used to retroactively fix broken installs, though. It must be used in your initial mod installation process.
    edited August 2018
    Given what it would take to fix the issue, I'm going to leave the Nephele NPC by the wayside. I'll have to keep an eye out for other NPC's that can fill the role of Cleric.