Skip to content

NPC suggestions

other than the Bards who are the weakest characters in BG 1? My party is going to be Alora, Quayle and Shar Teel but I'm trying who to add to that mix for a strange, entertaining personal canon before SOD

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    PK2748 said:

other than the Bards who are the weakest characters in BG 1? My party is going to be Alora, Quayle and Shar Teel but I'm trying who to add to that mix for a strange, entertaining personal canon before SOD

What sort of characters are you interested in?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Kivan and Xan

(Not only they're awesome, but, well, you know, this pair is often regarded as "entertaining personal" one...)
    Quartz
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Yeah I'm mostly interested in characters that are somehow entertaining plus are considered useless and underutilized. I don't want evil characters beyond Shar Teel. One is enough. So I'm looking for the character other than Tiax nobody uses basically that isn't on my list
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Xan is probably the least used full spellcaster which your party is missing.

After that I would go one of the Bards, leaning towards Eldoth even though you said you dont want evil.
    if not, then Coran adds a great deal of quirkiness even though he is very popular.

• thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    PK2748 said:

Who do you plan on trying to fill in your party as placeholders until you can get them? Two can't be had until Baldur's Gate and the third one is in a dangerous area.

As for the others, Xan is usually not as used as much as the other spellcasters cus being an Enchanter means he's restricted from the school of magic where you get to cast a lot of the damage dealing spells. He's also a neutral aligned character who has a negative outlook on life, so perhaps he's a bit more annoying to keep around than the other options. Stats are decent but he would be better as a Fighter/Mage so his Moonblade would have some usefulness, otherwise his hitpoints are too poor to get much use out of that great weapon.

Tiax is definitely hardly used at all, for a variety of reasons. Poor stats in comparison to his peers, inability to pick his thieving skills cus you get him so late, already having better options for Thieves long before you get access to him, Cleric/Thief not being a good combination like other multiclasses, won't get the same number of spells and abilities as a single class Cleric, having only Slings as a ranged option and only being able to backstab with two weapons. Better options for Thieves and Clerics, get him so late you don't get to develop him much, less useful class combo, poor combination of stats like Rasaad, and is a Gnome so they miss out on being an Illusionist with their combo.

Faldorn I have never bothered using, not very good stats at all and Druids aren't so good of a class when you could have a Cleric, Fighter/Cleric, or Fighter/Druid instead (all with more usefulness IMO). The weapons and armor she can use also aren't all that great being a Druid. Druid is a class you need to know how to use well for it to be worth much, and Jaheira is probably better for that.
    Actually I'm not planning on using Tiax primarily because I already play a Cleric/Thief. I find it extraordinarily fun and useful. I got Shar Teel at 1/1 and at level 2/2 I'll get Alora (level 4) and Quayle (2/2). I've decided depressed Xan seems fun with the personality defects of the other 3. I'll keep that last spot open to cycle through the new additional NPCs quests to loot their gear. I've never played with Xan before because I'm not find of mages so this will be new. Plus I'll have room to add a skald in SOD. Finally a useful Bard! I'll pay to be able to recruit him in BG2 by the way. I hate Blades. The only thing I dread is that they'll give the new npc cleric/thief some power of which I will end up jealous and resent him being cooler than my primary PC
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    PK2748 said:

So I'm looking for the character other than Tiax nobody uses basically that isn't on my list

Faldorn and Skie fit that description perfectly, although Ski also requires that you have another evil NPC in Eldoth.
    Quartz
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited September 2015
    I vote Xan. The guy has a +3 sword and access to burning hands and wands. He is and always will be my 'Suicide Squad'. I know it's not how you're 'supposed' to use a mage, but I can't help but get some kind of comic kick out of him charging into battle with a flaming sword shouting 'Onward! .... to futility."

I'm not the most knowledgeable or skilled of players, nor am I George S. Patton, but he did BBQ many an enemy for me.
    QuartzMirage
  • mickeyblueeyessjmickeyblueeyessj Member Posts: 12
    I back up the Xan supports for picking underutilized NPCs. Also, Safana and Coran make an entertaining combination, as well.
    Yeah at this point I am also trying to pick a team of characters that it might be interesting to see what happens to them as they have no role or cameo in BG II. So I may drop Quayle from my rotation even though I find him much much more useful than any pure mage in BG I and I am trying to find the interesting few that dont show up later and hope that SOD gives them some kind of resolution
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    Xan and Faldorn.

Xan will cover your Arcane casting and definitely add to the weirdness. "This party is unorthodox and DOOMED!"

Faldorn will be druid spells and an Eco-terrorist to boot. "Save the squirrels! Kill the HUMANS!"

I like playing with the Kit-Tomes MOD and like Faldorn as an Avenger, like she should have been. I also like Shar Teel as a berserker.
    JuliusBorisov
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Weakest character, Xan?

From a Constitution standpoint, he takes the cake, but overall he kicks ass!
    Mirage